Making a Sandwich

Am I the only one that when making a sandwich turns the bread so that each side mates up properly?

In other words, I flip one side of the bread over before applying mustard or Miracle Whip.

And why does a diagonally cut sandwich taste better?

I like to match the shelf life of my condiments along with weighing each slice of bread to ensure I have equal sized slices. I keep the heel slice until the very end to ensure the non-crust sections stays fresh and soft.

LOL...it must be the OCD factor in the BITOG community that is speaking to us as I do exactly the same thing. To carry it even further, I also match up the most evenly browned side when making a sandwich on toasted bread (e.g., BLT or tuna salad).

Gebo, I will correct you on one issue...as a fellow Virginian and East Coast southerner, you have to use good ol' Dukes mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip (psuedo mayo) on a proper sandwich!

Basic instinctual food skills dictate that the bread MUST match up otherwise you have wasted surface area hanging out in the air therefore causing less sandwich filling to be applied and therefore starving the eater.

Cutting corner to corner is way better. Also mayo is way better than Miracle Whip, and sprouts are way better than lettuce.

And what kind of whacko doesn't line the bread slices up? That is amateur hour.

Yes, I "open" a set of bookend slices.

Also - mayo on the cheese slice side and mustard or mustard/mayo combo on the ham side. If it's turkey, then it's mayo only.

I used to make them where cheese was on top, but since I discovered Jersey Mike's about 17 years ago and analyzed what they do, it's cheese on the bottom (I still put mayo on the cheese bread).

And yes, cut diagonally. In fact, my wife was making some ham & cheese sammiches for us to eat in the car on Monday while driving to a funeral. She asked me if I wanted mine cut and I said "yes, diagonally", to wit she responded "of course".

Now on a PB&J, I've differed over the years on PB on both sides and jelly in the middle or one and one. But always cut PB&J down the middle.

Now who eats chips piled inside their PB&J? Ruffles, Nacho Doritos, what?

Cutting the sandwich on a diagonal tricks you into thinking it is a slice of pizza which is what you really wanted.

pizza.jpg

Nothing much better than a mustard and potato chips sandwich with a Dr Pepper and an ice cold mug

Only old English ladies are forgiven for nibbling daintily on triangularly cut sandwiches because they can't unhinge their jaws sufficiently and are unable to take a proper bite from a rectangular sandwich. Just ask James May.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that when making a sandwich turns the bread so that each side mates up properly?

In other words, I flip one side of the bread over before applying mustard or Miracle Whip.

And why does a diagonally cut sandwich taste better?
Avoid such horrible misalignment by having only open-faced sandwiches. You also have to get the thrust angle right when feeding. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back