M1 AFE 0W16

As part of the ongoing monitoring of my fuel dilution issues in my 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid with the A25A-FXS motor (original thread) I contacted a Canadian lab for analysis and they offered me a VOA of the Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w16 I had used in my last oil change.

I'll post the UOA in the appropriate forum.

AGAT VOA M1 AFE Report May 31.jpg

Why would a hybrid suffer from a bad case of the fuel dilution bug? Unless the vehicle's gas engine is switching on more frequently than running on battery. Hybrid should be easy on oil and fuel.
you almost answered you own Q: infrequent cold starts+ assumed D.I + Engine still in the wear in cycle.

This is a VOA thread. Maybe cut and paste in the UOA thread

Why would a hybrid suffer from a bad case of the fuel dilution bug? Unless the vehicle's gas engine is switching on more frequently than running on battery. Hybrid should be easy on oil and fuel.

Read the original thread the OP linked to. This Sienna is severely short tripped. That is clearly the problem.

That engine uses a mix of direct and port injection one of the reasons is to prevent the usual issues associated with direct injection vehicles.

Read the original thread the OP linked to. This Sienna is severely short tripped. That is clearly the problem.
How do you know it's severe? Without seeing UOA's from other Toyota Hybrids at a similar amount of mileage this could be within average ranges.

But does it? It's still D.I. Was it determined that if you supplement P.I. for cold start and warmup enrichment the fuel dilution problems associated with D.I. go away?
That’s a good question. Only answer I have is I don’t know for sure. I know it helps with carbon deposit build up. I do know people should do their homework before making life’s worst investment. They like to buy then cry.

That’s a good question. Only answer I have is I don’t know for sure. I know it helps with carbon deposit build up. I do know people should do their homework before making life’s worst investment. They like to buy then cry.
Yeah I am crying now. I would Think FORD would have had D.I issues figured out on MY engine, seeing it has been used on hundreds of thousands of Ford Focii in prior years.

just drain it and run m1 5w-30 ep in summer. and if you get freezing temps, swap to m1 0w-20 ep. Use SP grade bottles (even though we don't think they needed to reformulate to hit sp)

How much more evidence do you need that your motor oil is waaaay too thin. Not a thick vs thin debate here! You have a lab score and those kv100 scores are terrifyingly low. Swap with heavy quality and watch all those fuel dilution issues drop away big time.
Wanna try? and then lab it? We'd love to see the numbers.

2021 Rav4
4500 mi. Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and M1 EP filter.

Back