M1 0W20, 9,500 miles, 2014 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: LotI
along with Mazda’s decision to bump the tire pressures in the US! The 2.5T version in the CX-9 and M6 use a 30 grade. In the rest of the world you are free to use everything from a 0w-20 to a 10w-50 grade depending on climate...same motor.

When i brought the cx-5 home, i found the tire pressures at 40 cold, all the way around. I thought maybe it was just to keep them from being low when sitting on the lot.

My 6 had tires at 61psi all around...so much for PDI! Mine was pretty fresh off the boat.

Lol that's one of the worst things to do is mix oils. your ruining the formulation, and not gaining anything. Also what is the reasoning behind the thicker weight oil?? Thicker is not better.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imagine if this had been an RP uoa,oh lord! The RP bashers would be coming out like roaches. I can hear it now:

"Lots of wear metals for such an expensive oil!"

"You can get just as good a uoa using something cheaper"

Blah blah

Amen brother!!

Curious, for those that don't think 27 PPM is on the high side, what their thoughts would be if the next UOA, using a different oil, showed far less, or half even, iron/wear metals?

Then, say, the OP switched back to Mobil and seen an increase again?
21.gif

I've seen numerous UOAs that show exactly that. High Iron/wear metals using Mobil then far less the next UOA using a different oil.
Too many of these exist, and have existed for years for it to be a fluke, imo.

Of course, as I have said numerous times, pretty slim chance your engine is going to grenade, but why purchase an oil, and an expensive one at that, if it consistently shows poor UOAs compared to other less expensive oils?

Last edited:
I'd still consider it irrelevant. It's nowhere near condemnation and cannot be correlated directly with wear.

What I'd say in response to the last paragraph, why purchase an oil, and an expensive one at that, to merely chase UOA results?

It’s not a bad report. 9500 miles is pushing it imo. This was a winter run and we don’t know the driver’s habits and routine. I would stick with the 0w20 but go with a 5000 or 7500 oci.

Yeah, I'm not so sure that I would be happy with this report. Silicon and Insolubles are low, so that likely isn't a direct cause or large factor in increased "wear". I also wouldn't call the engine new. What makes the report worse is the fact that you added an entire quart of oil to the engine and fuel dilution is 0.8%, and viscosity is at the low end. I agree with changing the oil at 7500 miles until you see a better trend. M1 AFE 0W-30 might be a good suggestion.

Originally Posted By: irv
Curious, for those that don't think 27 PPM is on the high side, what their thoughts would be if the next UOA, using a different oil, showed far less, or half even, iron/wear metals?

21.gif

I've seen numerous UOAs that show exactly that. High Iron/wear metals using Mobil then far less the next UOA using a different oil.

Of course, as I have said numerous times, pretty slim chance your engine is going to grenade, but why purchase an oil, and an expensive one at that, if it consistently shows poor UOAs compared to other less expensive oils?

hey irv, I agree with you! It's probably the marketing that has people thinking M1 is the best and only the best. Then they dismiss the evidence right in front of their eyes because the belief that M1 is THE BEST and they can't even see the truth! The data doesn't lie, and I've seen lower usage not using a Mobil product. I just switched from TGMO (mobil) to Castrol because I didn't like the shearing going on. Next thing I know, look at that.. the wear numbers are MUCH lower..

But never fear you'll get the fans of M1 in here shortly to defend it.. This should be good..

Blackstone needs more facts and less opinion. They provide an Used Oil Analysis and not an Oil Change Interval analysis …

BITOG attempts the latter with little format despite Newton trying to “herd cats” on how it gets done the right way …

I wind up just following the OLM produced by the engine builder and selecting oils from companies that do lots of proof of performance testing with modern engines … and with serious labs and engineering …

Originally Posted By: vq40
... Any change of synthetic oil before 7500-10,000 miles is very unnecessary. Matter of fact we would not even change oil at VW unless it was at 10,000 miles or more. ....

But you are surely using a synthetic oil formulation that VW has approved for that application.

Walk into a store and I find many "full synthetic" engine oils that are not at all fit for long service intervals. I can point a finger at some, but don't care to provoke brand defenders.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Who made that TGMO? How much is it?

hey 4wd.. here's my quote.. " I just switched from TGMO (mobil) to Castrol because I didn't like the shearing going on." see the parenthesis? Mobil makes TGMO. Toyota has a contract (for now) with Mobil making all of their oils.

It was around $4/qt at the Toyota dealer, but with the shearing and the wear it wasn't worth it to me. So thankfully for BITOG I was able to focus in on Castrol and have been very happy with the change!

I don't know if Mobil/TGMO will change back to what they used to be (before the Titanium additive package) but I'm not willing to give that a chance again. Not when I've solved the issue and am happy now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
grin.gif

EDIT: Castrol GTX 5w20 is what I'm using now, which was just switched by Castrol to GTX Ultraclean (no UOA on that just filled with that). The results of less wear were from GTX but I'm confident the Ultraclean should return similar results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

But you are surely using a synthetic oil formulation that VW has approved for that application.

Walk into a store and I find many "full synthetic" engine oils that are not at all fit for long service intervals. I can point a finger at some, but don't care to provoke brand defenders.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree with you! The playing field has A LOT of different players on it and just because it's "full synthetic" doesn't guarantee the best anymore.

Originally Posted By: researcher
It's probably the marketing that has people thinking M1 is the best and only the best. Then they dismiss the evidence right in front of their eyes because the belief that M1 is THE BEST and they can't even see the truth! The data doesn't lie, and I've seen lower usage not using a Mobil product.

Naw, some of us have actually torn down engines and observed wear, or the lack thereof, in the presence of good oils. This includes Mobil 1. What you see in a UOA is at best, extrapolation of data provided by a tool meant to determine lubricant life, contamination levels and potential mechanical issue indication. The desire to find value in that data; confirmation bias is strong, particularly given the laziness of it and impracticality to perform actual tear-downs to get the real information.

We run (any brand, almost, right now Sams Club/Warren but just stocked up on Chevron) conventional 5w30 on our 2012 skyactive and do the proper, if not sooner recommended OCI. Never ran a UOA on this vehicle but at now over 60,000 miles its never needed any make up oil at all. Love this engine.
I think the 0/20 is too thin for this engine and if your manual is the same, it says 5/30 is acceptable outside the United States.
Without starting another debate I am sure what I do goes for any engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: researcher

21.gif

hey irv, I agree with you! It's probably the marketing that has people thinking M1 is the best and only the best. Then they dismiss the evidence right in front of their eyes because the belief that M1 is THE BEST and they can't even see the truth! The data doesn't lie, and I've seen lower usage not using a Mobil product. I just switched from TGMO (mobil) to Castrol because I didn't like the shearing going on. Next thing I know, look at that.. the wear numbers are MUCH lower..

But never fear you'll get the fans of M1 in here shortly to defend it.. This should be good..

I don't get it either, Researcher?
21.gif

Marketing/advertising definitely plays a big roll convincing people it is the best and worth the extra costs.
Mobil obviously does a very good job of doing just that, they even supply the sugar for their Kool-Aid.
grin.gif

3 things that are important to me are, good lookin UOAs, price, and how it sounds in my engine.
I get all 3 of those with Pennzoil, and with knowing I have the right recommended grade in my engine, I don't give it another thought until the next OC.

Like I mentioned before, one would think, with the way Mobil touts their oil as being "Supreme" "World Class" "Leading", etc, it would be the quietest running oil and would always have the best UOAs, no?
21.gif

It is surprising, with what they charge for it, that those things aren't always better than everyone else's?
Some on here like to tell us wear metals in UOAs don't mean anything.
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March%2020,%202009.htm

This is right from Mobil itself.

Similar situations can occur with wear metals. For example, if you notice higher values of copper in your oil analysis results, along with a change in the oil viscosity, you might want to review the machine cooling system to monitor pipe condition, search for loose fittings and identify any unwarranted vibrations.

Common abnormal conditions that arise include diesel engines showing increased levels of silicon and iron, but failing to reach oil analysis alarm limits; or hydraulic oil analysis results showing an increase in water and copper, which can be a precursor of a future pump or valve failure.

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricant-expertise/resources/oil-analysis-result-interpretation

Like I mentioned before, one would think, with the way Mobil touts their oil as being "Supreme" "World Class" "Leading", etc, it would be the quietest running oil and would always have the best UOAs, no?
21.gif

Because UOA's are not a barometer for wear performance.

It is surprising, with what they charge for it, that those things aren't always better than everyone else's?

Maybe they are upon doing actual tear-down analysis? Want to give it a try? No? Impractical?

Some on here like to tell us wear metals in UOAs don't mean anything.
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March%2020,%202009.htm

This is right from Mobil itself.

Similar situations can occur with wear metals. For example, if you notice higher values of copper in your oil analysis results, along with a change in the oil viscosity, you might want to review the machine cooling system to monitor pipe condition, search for loose fittings and identify any unwarranted vibrations.

Common abnormal conditions that arise include diesel engines showing increased levels of silicon and iron, but failing to reach oil analysis alarm limits; or hydraulic oil analysis results showing an increase in water and copper, which can be a precursor of a future pump or valve failure.

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricant-expertise/resources/oil-analysis-result-interpretation

Yup, and if you weren't viewing those statements through pre-jaded lenses they would make perfect sense.

Let's take the one I assume you were attracted to regarding iron and silicon. Notice they mention both together? They also mentioned increased levels, that means that, in trended data, these numbers have gone up from what you've observed before with the same lubricant in the same piece of equipment in the same service. This is indicative of an air intake tract leak, which has led to dirt ingestion (silicon) which has then pushed up iron values over what they were previously. You are observing cause and effect in trended data and one of the valuable uses of UOA's, which I've covered in the past.

I'd like to know, if Mobil 1 is so bad, why aren't engines failing left right and center? In the Corvette world, I would venture to say that Mobil 1 is by far the most popular choice. And there are quite a few C5 and C6 owners out there with well over 200k on their engines without any issues.

So this notion of M1 making engines louder or having higher iron in some UOAs is simply poppycock, it has no effect on the engine longevity whatsoever. You'll often hear some "friend of a friend" mention how Mobil 1 made his engine blow up, but he'll leave out the part where he slapped on a 20psi turbo onto a stock Honda engine at the same time. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, is going to have lubrication problems with M1 that cause their engine to wear out sooner. I wish this nonsense would go away for good. And in case someone thinks I'm just another M1 fanboy, I'm not, you'll notice I'm running Castrol in my wife's BMW, M1 in my Corvette and my next oil change in my Civic will be with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Yep … just too much good history out there … most recent for me was my driver with 745K miles on M1 0w40 …
(This guy had no clue what an UOA is … changed it 10k km)
There are dozens of great oils in every city … this “better” than and “best” nonsense is tiring …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
I'd like to know, if Mobil 1 is so bad, why aren't engines failing left right and center? In the Corvette world, I would venture to say that Mobil 1 is by far the most popular choice. And there are quite a few C5 and C6 owners out there with well over 200k on their engines without any issues.

So this notion of M1 making engines louder or having higher iron in some UOAs is simply poppycock, it has no effect on the engine longevity whatsoever. You'll often hear some "friend of a friend" mention how Mobil 1 made his engine blow up, but he'll leave out the part where he slapped on a 20psi turbo onto a stock Honda engine at the same time. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, is going to have lubrication problems with M1 that cause their engine to wear out sooner. I wish this nonsense would go away for good. And in case someone thinks I'm just another M1 fanboy, I'm not, you'll notice I'm running Castrol in my wife's BMW, M1 in my Corvette and my next oil change in my Civic will be with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

You’re missing the point, Patman. As I have said numerous times, your engine isn’t likely to grenade using it, but rather it just isn’t worth the money they charge for it.

Mobil reminds me of those that also choose to use Yamalube oil in their 4 stroke snowmobiles. At $21.00 dollars a liter, VOAs and UOAs have proven it is $3-$4 dollar a liter oil at best, but because it reads, Yamaha (Yamalube) on the side of the bottle, they automatically think it must be special stuff, especially when they also believe, you get what you pay for. “Fools and their money are soon parted”.

Like I have said numerous times, if it is worth the money and is everything Mobil claims it is; “World Class”, “Leading Synthetic”, “Superior”, “Technologically advanced”, “For motorists who want the best”, shouldn’t it at the very least have the best UOAs and the quietest running engines?
I know you think that is poppycock, but the proof is right in front of you, on this site and others. UOA after UOA of Mobil oils notoriously showing higher than average wear metals in them. Why is that? Many UOAs, after members have switched up from using Mobil come back with far better looking UOAs. Why is that? Some of those, like me, also claim their engines are now running quieter. Why is that?

It’s the million dollar question that can never be conclusively answered it seems. If there was a reasonable explanation for it, or if the UOAs were equal or close to other different oil UOAs, then we wouldn’t even be discussing it, would we?
It just bothers me how many have drunk the Kool-Aid, myself included, (until I smartened up) when the facts/info show, there is nothing special, or World class leading about it.
In my opinion, it is just an average, run of the mill oil that should be priced accordingly, not priced like it’s an elite oil or a head and shoulders above the rest, oil.

I know, I know, many vehicles exist out there that have thousands and thousands of miles on them using Mobil-1 oil, but don’t think for a moment that those same miles couldn’t have been accumulated running a far less expensive oil that doesn’t go out of it’s way tricking/sucking people in with its marketing hype and special claims like Mobil likes to do.

Patman, I know you love your Corvette, and rightfully so, I like them too, but keep in mind, and don’t forget, GM dealerships get reimbursed for using Mobil –1 oil. Do you think for a moment, they are more concerned about the oil and your engine, or more concerned about making money?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back