2021 Mazda 3 2.5 NA / Unknown 0W20 5,031mi

Vehicle is a 2021 Mazda 3 2.5 M/T with 50,450 total miles. The oil is unknown 0W20, and the filter replaced was a Mazda OEM (Made in Thailand); all services to date performed by a Mazda dealer. The oil and filter were changed with Pennzoil Ultra 0W20 and a Mazda OEM filter (Japan) as DIY.

Potassium was flagged in the sample, with no glycol or water contamination. Upon looking at the repair order for the last service it appears that the dealer added a BG additive. SPEEDiagnostix indicated this is the likely source of the potassium marker, and hopefully the levels will diminish on the next sample.

I was also puzzled why Phosphorous was lower than the API minimum, but I'm hoping it is no need for concern with wear metals being low.

Jeff

Marbles 50450 UOA.jpg

Given the ridiculously low anti-wear and detergent & dispersant levels, It looks like line wash. Which wouldn't surprise me, as dealers will want to spend the least amount of money on the motor oil that they sell to customers.

If you're wondering what line wash is: blending facilities use the same equipment to to blend various lubricants, but they cant's risk cross contamination. So they use squeegee-like devices called "pigs" to clear out the lines of the lubricant they just blended. However, this lubricant is not a proper blend (yet), and it will never become once. However, the blender wants to make an extra buck, so instead of properly disposing of the line wash, they put in barrels, and sell it as motor oil

Why would a dealer add BG Additive?
My opinion is that since this is a prepaid service (given as a purchase incentive), Mazda Corporate will reimburse up to a certain dollar amount. So, maybe the advisor gets compensated in some way for “selling” the service and all is well as long as the total amount billed is reimbursed by Mazda. I actually ask the dealer to not add any additives, conditioners, etc., but this slipped by me this time. Since they don’t collect anything from me, they felt no need to explicitly mention it.

Why would a dealer add BG Additive?
It's a legitimized and incentivized grift that will do absolutely nothing good for the customer.

My opinion is that since this is a prepaid service (given as a purchase incentive), Mazda Corporate will reimburse up to a certain dollar amount. So, maybe the advisor gets compensated in some way for “selling” the service and all is well as long as the total amount billed is reimbursed by Mazda. I actually ask the dealer to not add any additives, conditioners, etc., but this slipped by me this time. Since they don’t collect anything from me, they felt no need to explicitly mention it.
I'd walk up to the service manager with the UOA in hand, and ask to see what kind of motor oil they use for service. BG MOA or whatever they put in there won't cause the additive levels to shrink that drastically. Moly is half of what it's supposed to be. I'd be curious what the service manager has to say.

I like it and its been a pretty good SUV for me so far. Its get good mpg on long road trips, 30 plus mpg pretty consistently. It's able to haul all the stuff we need to on those associated road trips. Although recently, it did develop a noise in the rear of the vehicle and the dealer replaced the viscous coupler under warranty. But it was a painless process on my part for that repair.

Back