Lubegard or no Lubegard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using Mobil 1 ATF in my '02 Maxima with 25k miles. I have already done two drain and fill services to it (exchanged 4 qts of fluid each time). I'm getting ready for a third ATF exchange at 26k and I'm considering adding a bottle of Lubegard Red to it. Do I need Lubegard if I'm using a synth ATF like Mobil 1?

Thanks MolaKule!!
cool.gif

I think that 30k ATF changes is a waste of a perfectly good transmission. Change it more frequently or use a better fluid.

I also use lubegard with Mobil1 ATF. I figure that the ester properties of it can't hurt. Since most fluid changes don't remove a high percentage of fluid and most ATF filters really don't filter well, I'd use it.
I also didn't care for the occasional "chirp" during my Nissan Sentra transmission's shift with Mobil1 ATF. Lubegard prevents it. And, my Mobil1 ATF'd Altima shifts better with lubegard black instead of the red(which would be my 1st choice).

Lubegard has some OEM approvals. And, is currently being used by a major transmission franchise.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
I think that 30k ATF changes is a waste of a perfectly good transmission. Change it more frequently or use a better fluid.

All depends on the transmission and circumstances. 30k is not soon enough with the 4L60E in my Impala. That's from UOA.

Auto-Rx is a better additive than LubeGard.

GimmeTorq,

I think that if you use Mobil 1 ATF you probably won't benefit from LubeGard as much. I also believe that it wound't harm. I personally use Lubegard Red with Mobil 1 in my transmission, but it was only serviced by a pan drop and filter replacement (not a complete flush). With full flush benefits of Lubegard with Mobil 1 would be miniscule and not noticible in everyday driving. It depends on your personal finances. Lubegard is priced at around $13 - rather expensive at least for my mind. If I were to choose what to do - full ATF flush with synthetic ATF or partial drop with lubegard (or full flush with mineral + lubegard) I would choose full flush with synthetic without any additives. As I said before Lubegard with Syntehtic ATF probably won't do any good, but I wound't harm either.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
Auto-Rx is a better additive than LubeGard.

They can't be compared. Auto-Rx cleans the transmission to make it ready for new ATF. Lubegard changes (improves?) the characteristics of ATF.

Ken

In order to use Mobil1 Dexron3 synthetic ATF in all those new non dexIII trannies, you'll need an HFM fluid convertor.

Hit the midwestautosupply website for pricing.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
They can't be compared. Auto-Rx cleans the transmission to make it ready for new ATF. Lubegard changes (improves?) the characteristics of ATF.

Ken

Terry indicated to me that AutoRx as a maintenance dose(after doing a flush) was a better additive than LubeGard.

He also said that 204S was the best relatively affordable ATF and that it needed no additives.

He and Molakule(I think) have a custom "homebrew" ATF that would outlive the car, but it's very pricey...

I use the Lubegard Red in several transmissions. Drain and fills. However, I honestly cannot say that I see any difference. Iam hoping that with well operating transmissions there should be no difference, more of preventative service or I am wasting my funds.

rolleyes.gif
:Well the debate is almost like the elections. I just would like to know since I am using AMSOIL ATF if it would be a good idea at somepoint to add LC or ARX to avoid a leak or does the ATF have enough good stuff to prevent leaks.
dunno.gif

Lubegard was reccomended by BMW to me to use in my transmission. Cured the shudder. I use it with Redline D4 ATF. I also believe that a few other European car makers gave it their OEM endorsement.
grin.gif

Auto-RX is also an excellent product.

[ July 19, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: 1maniac ]

I used LubeGard Red in my 4L60E. Used oil analysis by Terry, as well as poor shift feel, indicated that the transmission was near the end of it's life at around 80k. I had been running LubeGard for about 40k. Terry said that LubeGard, as well as regular filter and fluid exchanges, were the reason that the transmission was not dead already.

An AutoRx application resolved the shift feel issues, and the purchase of another car to serve as a daily driver, will hopefully extend the life, timewise, of the transmission. I am currently running a conventional Dexron III with AutoRx as an additive, because Terry indicated that AutoRx was a better additive than LubeGard. I plan on switching to 204S early next year, which Terry indicated is the best commercially available Dexron III speced fluid, and that it needs no additives.

Lubegard's web site has a reproduction of a Saab TSB specifically endorsing Lubegard. I used Lubegard "black" along with Dexron III in a '96 Accord after a full flush (8 times!) that resulted in much smoother shifts in a design not noted for smooth shifting. However, the car was totaled six months later, so I have no idea what the long term effects would have been. On the other hand, Hyundai specifically warned against using any ATF supplements, and Lubegard by name, in a TSB last year. So, the stuff's not going in my Hyundai under any circumstances during the 1st ten years or 100,000 miles. If its trannie can't go the distance on 30,000 mile ATF changes with the specified SP-III brew, then it's Hyundai's problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back