Low oil level

Are there any simple animated video's available that I can share with a friend that constantly runs engine 1 to 1.5 liters below mid safe range?

I am renting a room to a young female 25 year old, & just repaired her rear brakes.

I decided to check her oil, & it was right off the dipstick.

She feels that she is due for an oil change anyway, & doesn't need to top it off.

I continue to explain that a safe oil level is more important than an oil change. Also that she will need to replace the engine if she continues to constantly run it low.
Was down about 1.5 liters today.

Not sure what a kia forte holds.

This is the 2nd time that I have added oil to her car.

I am sure it is severely low at each OCI

Do quick change oil stops tell the owner when the vehicle is coming in with oil that low, that they may need to add oil through the OCI, when they are using oil?

I would show her how to check the oil. Tell her keeping oil right at the full mark always is far more important than oil changes or what kind of oil you use. Tell her a new engine costs $10,000, and if she doesn't change her maintenance practices, she should start saving up for the $10,000 new engine.

There's a certain sector of the population that just doesn't absorb mechanical information like this. You can tell them, and tell them, and tell them, but it never seems to register or move up their list of priorities. They seem to glaze over and stop listening, but have plenty to say when their engine blows up and they're faced with a bill. Her engine's obviously got a problem if it's consistently running low on oil, and she probably shouldn't own such a vehicle because she is eventually going to blow it up. So one way or another, this situation will take care of itself. It just may not be the outcome you hope for. Just be careful about how involved you get, because people love to blame the blameless when they're staring at an $8,000 invoice, or a car they have to junk.

There's a certain sector of the population that just doesn't absorb mechanical information like this. You can tell them, and tell them, and tell them, but it never seems to register or move up their list of priorities. They seem to glaze over and stop listening, but have plenty to say when their engine blows up and they're faced with a bill. Her engine's obviously got a problem if it's consistently running low on oil, and she probably shouldn't own such a vehicle because she is eventually going to blow it up. So one way or another, this situation will take care of itself. It just may not be the outcome you hope for. Just be careful about how involved you get, because people love to blame the blameless when they're staring at an $8,000 invoice, or a car they have to junk.
If you were the last person to check her oil, and a oil related problem should happen, then it's clear that YOU are at fault for her damage. No good deed goes unpunished.,,,

Are there any simple animated video's available that I can share with a friend that constantly runs engine 1 to 1.5 liters below mid safe range?
YouTube isn't that hard to use.

Sooner, rather than later, nature will take its course and your friend will learn the hard and expensive way what happens, no animations needed at that point.

Why did you fix the rear brakes? Were you asked? The more you get involved, the more you could be responsible for. I'm all for helping someone, but there is a limit. Call her Dad and tell him she is not checking her oil and you've already fixed her brakes. See where that goes.🍿

I recently read (can't find the link unfortunately) comments from a salvage yard owner who said that 70% of the vehicles coming in were failed engines or transmissions, and most of the failed engines didn't show oil on the dipstick.

Why did you fix the rear brakes? Were you asked?
down-arrow.gif

I am renting a room to a young female 25 year old

Do most engines rely on the crankshaft slining oil around to lube cylinder wall and small end rod bearings? I guess if the oil is very low this won't happen anymore, and those parts will wear a lot faster, and then car replacement is needed as there is no cheap fix possible.

Why did you fix the rear brakes? Were you asked? The more you get involved, the more you could be responsible for. I'm all for helping someone, but there is a limit. Call her Dad and tell him she is not checking her oil and you've already fixed her brakes. See where that goes.🍿
The woman is 25 years old, not a child. "I'm gonna tell your daddy on you" is probably inappropriate for several reasons. However, explaining the situation to her and letting her take responsibility from that point on seems to be a good approach. Supplementing the lecture with a video about how to check the oil, or a personal lesson in the technique, is also a good idea. The rest is up to her.

Last edited:
Do most engines rely on the crankshaft slining oil around to lube cylinder wall and small end rod bearings? I guess if the oil is very low this won't happen anymore, and those parts will wear a lot faster, and then car replacement is needed as there is no cheap fix possible.
Modern engines usually have dedicated oil squirters directed at the underside of the pistons. The crankshaft is entirely above the oil sump and will only sling whatever oil is coming out of the bearings, and not in a controlled way. From all of the engine tear-down videos I've watched, it seems that big end rod and main bearings are usually the first casualties of oil starvation. Small end bearing failure seems to be rare.

You told her once. You're not responsible for what an adult does or doesn't do with the information.
Legal adult. Her car. Concern for next owner? :sleep: None of this is your business.
If you get involved with her car, it'll be your fault when it fails.
Take her rent check and forget about her car.

I am renting a room to a young female 25 year old, & just repaired her rear brakes.

I decided to check her oil, & it was right off the dipstick.

She feels that she is due for an oil change anyway, & doesn't need to top it off.

I continue to explain that a safe oil level is more important than an oil change. Also that she will need to replace the engine if she continues to constantly run it low.
Was down about 1.5 liters today.

Not sure what a kia forte holds.

This is the 2nd time that I have added oil to her car.

I am sure it is severely low at each OCI

Do quick change oil stops tell the owner when the vehicle is coming in with oil that low, that they may need to add oil through the OCI, when they are using oil?

only real mechanical harm begins to start when the oil warning light or pressure gage indicates a loss of pressure. Realistically, as long as the oil pump pickup screen is covered by oil during engine operation, there is no real difference to the engine whether a person can see oil on the stick or not.. psychologically it is apparent it bothers you alot more than it bothers her. Express your opinion and leave it at that.

If you've explained to this person several times they need to check their oil once in a while and they can't or won't listen that's their problem.

In a way it's in your best interest that your renter's car doesn't blow up because them paying the rent is probably dependent on going to work using that car, but at the end of the day it just isn't your problem and I would recommend detaching yourself from the situation. I'm not saying you shouldn't offer advice if asked for help but draw the line somewhere.

Back