Looking to buy a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sopususer
More anecdotal experience. Bought our first flat screen LCD in 2008, a Sony Bravia 1080P 46". Still going strong with a picture as good as it ever was. It now is in bedroom duty. Upgraded it in the living room with an LG 55" LED in 2013; it lasted a month before a fault sent it into perpetual startup mode. Best Buy was hesitant to let me exchange it, but they finally agreed. I bought a 60" Samsung LED. So far so good. Pic quality between the Sammy and the Sony is a wash, both excellent in my opinion. I know LG is highly rated, but for me it's that brand I have issues with. From tv's to phones to appliances, I've never had great personal experiences with LG. Also, my mom bought her 46" LCD in 2011, despite the negatives I've read about Toshiba, it has been a great tv and has seen all day duty for over six years with not a hiccup. Good luck; they're all good, or they're all bad.

My aunt had the same issue with her LG. Shortly thereafter my mom's stove control board went in her LG stove and then the fridge started icing up and required a replacement logic board. All under warranty but still left a bad taste in their mouths and the have avoided "Looks Good - LG" ever since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Bought a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 (50” plasma) smart TV in 2012 around this time and it’s been awesome. Best picture quality I’ve ever seen in a TV. The guys on the A/V forums who know what they’re talking about say the picture is just about as good as the Pioneer, which was the industry standard before they stopped making them.

Mine was ~ $1000 back in 2012 but prices have come way down since then. If I were in the market today, I’d go for a larger set. Always buy larger than you think you need.

Plasma is going to be by far your best picture quality for the money. The black levels on LED don’t compare.

Oh, and much faster refresh rate if you watch a lot of racing, sports, fast action stuff.

Plasma TVs haven't been available to consumers since about 2015.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Samsung and LG are hard to4beat..

This is so true in my experience. Sonys’ reputation is toast with me after too many mediocre products that didn’t last long.
I couldn't agree more. I've owned several Vizio's and all of them were good. Last Black Friday I bought a 50 inch 4k Samsung. It was real nice. Then I bought a 49 inch 4k Sony. Neither my wide or I liked that so we replaced it with a 55 inch UHD LG. We like LG the best, and it is my current home theater TV. If I had to replace one tomorrow, I would shop in this order.
First LG, second Samsung, third Vizio, and Sony, never again. I'm pretty sure that LG is rated number one in initial customer satisfaction by JD Power.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy

This is so true in my experience. Sonys’ reputation is toast with me after too many mediocre products that didn’t last long.
I couldn't agree more. I've owned several Vizio's and all of them were good. Last Black Friday I bought a 50 inch 4k Samsung. It was real nice. Then I bought a 49 inch 4k Sony. Neither my wide or I liked that so we replaced it with a 55 inch UHD LG. We like LG the best, and it is my current home theater TV. If I had to replace one tomorrow, I would shop in this order.
First LG, second Samsung, third Vizio, and Sony, never again. I'm pretty sure that LG is rated number one in initial customer satisfaction by JD Power.

What did that HDR cost?.....around $3K? I would never pay over $1.5K for a TV and 95% of America that lives 40-60K in annual earnings, probably agrees with me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Gillsy

I couldn..

What did that HDR cost?.....around $3K? I would never pay over $1.5K for a TV and 95% of America that lives 40-60K in annual earnings, probably agrees with me.

HDR is available on many sets not just $3,000 TVs. Though like anything, much like when 4k came out, they tend to be on sets in the $1,000 + price range.

For many people HDR will be useless in the near term and possibly during the next few years so dont worry to much about it, for now and for 95% of the public (and more) its just a sales gimmic as like ANY product, the next generation product needs to be put into the product line to promote something to sell TVs.

Just like 4k, content needs to be produced for HDR. So you are not going to run down to your local Red Box and be able to rent a movie with HDR and as of right now, not even in 4K.
Cable Content providers are going to need yet more bandwith to deliver HDR to a home and as of right not, its a big issue getting 4k into a home, the 4k signal/movie is so dumbed down, you might as well, rent a Blu Ray at Redbox to watch the movie and will have a far superior picture,

Ignore the HDR for the near future. Just like 2 years ago you could ignore the 4k picture and still can because much of the public never see's a true 4k picture.

Now, I am NOT saying 4K is useless, I am saying, for anyone looking to save money, you do not need to go out and buy an HDR TV as it will be years before you see true HDR and years. if ever, you see REAL 4k and they are already working on more technology that will make 4 k outdated, yet they still can not deliver true 4 k content to a home.

More or less, the cart is NOW BEFORE THE HORSE. This new technology content is only delivered in the showrooms selling the TVs. Once you get that TV home, you can not get the content that the TV can produce.

Last edited:
Just replaced our 07 Sharp Aquos one of the first LCD's (only one Bestbuy had at that time).. man that thing was on it's last legs. It could heat the room by itself. Got a Westinghouse 4k 55 smart TV for below $350.. we paid over $2500 for the Sharp. So far satisfied with the Westinghouse, cheap and easy to setup. If you have a Microcenter close I recommend them highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back