Looking for reliable Smartphone brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: hemitom
Not sure if you have access to HTC phones ?? coming up on two years with one a fairly basic #510 series and its been dead reliable not sure on pricing now though.

Another solid recommendation! The HTC. M7 and M8 can fit his budget. Two more high-end, durable devices.

+1 where I work all company cell phones are HTC. Most people are still using HTC ones that are a couple years old. Some of us have recently received "new" M8's. They are fantastically reliable and offer good performance.

As soon as my upgrade is due for my personal phone I'm ditching my iPhone 6s for a new HTC A9 or M10.

look for reliable model.. no need to condemn whole brand over 1 phone.

I'd recommend

at least 16GB storage
2GB ram

cricket has special deals when you port in your number

Galaxy Amp Prime is 49.99$ 50$ credit after 2 months=free

the
Alcatel OneTouch® Idol™ 3
is head and shoulders above the rest of their phones

99-50credit after 2 months=50$

Personally I like the moto g or a moto x 2014 for a value phone but get the cricket deal phone you can always use it as a backup phone or sell it towards something else.

If you have any cricket questions..I've been with them for awhile now.

Second on the Moto X and Republic.
The phone is pretty cheap, works well and seems to hold up to use.
Republic is also pretty cheap and service has been fine everywhere we've been that supports the American cell standard.
In those areas that don't, you can always find Wifi.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Samsung Galaxy J3

Whatever you get look for AMOLED screen as that type seems a little easier on the battery. It's because with AMOLED the phone can light only the pixels it needs to light and can leave other pixels powered off, thus saving a slight amount of power.

Most phones have been AMOLED since 2013.

Not true at all. It's just become more popular with some brands. MOST still rely on LCD. A good LCD is better in some ways then OLED. For example, on a bright white screen, OLED uses a massive amount of electricity compared to a white screen on an LCD.

FWIW, I'm running a Nexus 6P on Cricket. The 6P and 5X phones are somewhat unusual in that they work with any carrier (GSM or CDMA). (T-Mob and AT&T are GSM, Verizon and Sprint are CDMA).

One issue is that if you start on Project Fi and leave, your phone will still think it's on Project Fi and won't install certain apps (like your carrier management app). I had to do a factory reset to install Cricket's apps.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
If you don't care about the camera Cricket has the Moto E for I think around $30. Very solid phone with a near plain Android interface, which helps avoid a lot of the lag problems due to the [censored] most phone companies install. Camera is not very good, but adequate for recording things.

The Moto E and Moto G frequently appear on lists of the best phones at their price points. My wife still has a 1st gen Moto G and it's running strong. The $30 Moto E on Cricket is a screaming deal if you want something basic, but the Moto G is a solid upgrade over the E if you need more.

Amazon has the current Moto G unlocked in black for $148 and in white for $138 http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Unlocked-Warranty-Black/dp/B00K0NRZSW

Most phones have been AMOLED since 2013.

Most of the better Samsung phones perhaps, but many phones still use LCDs, including many that use very good IPS LCDs.
LG makes IPS LCDs. I doubt you'll find an LG phone with AMOLED, or an Apple with AMOLED, both of those manufacturers use IPS LCDs.

Thanks again for all your input. When I got there, they had the Samsung Amp prime on sale for $70 less than what I was willing to pay, so I purchased it. Since I was porting from AT&T, I couldn't get the extra $30 off, but still the phone was just $80.

I asked about the HTC Desire 520 and the guy told me they come with a boat load of bloat ware so that drove me away from the only HTC that I would purchase from them.

So far, I am quite happy with my upgrade. The amp prime is very responsive, has 16 GB of ROM with 1.5 GB of RAM, has an SDHC card slot and a 5" AMOLED screen (whatever that means) that is very vivid. I'm hoping to keep this phone for at least 3+ years and when I need to upgrade again, I will do better research to include HTC, Moto and LG phones.

Originally Posted By: Rand
look for reliable model.. no need to condemn whole brand over 1 phone.

I'd recommend

at least 16GB storage
2GB ram

cricket has special deals when you port in your number

Galaxy Amp Prime is 49.99$ 50$ credit after 2 months=free

the
Alcatel OneTouch® Idol™ 3
is head and shoulders above the rest of their phones

99-50credit after 2 months=50$

Personally I like the moto g or a moto x 2014 for a value phone but get the cricket deal phone you can always use it as a backup phone or sell it towards something else.

If you have any cricket questions..I've been with them for awhile now.

^^^^^^ That, Cricket is fantastic, wholly owned by ATT, ATT towers, NEVER ANY surcharges or added taxes or fees etc. Price you see Is the price you pay every month.
Been with them almost 2 years now. I use a Lumia, love it, I have a work paid for iPhone on Verizon, they both work equally as well in my just about 1000 miles of driving every week.
Wife and daughter use Galaxy S4, same deal, works great.

I've had two days to play around with it and it is such a huge upgrade from my Asus phone. Screen is so much clearer and brighter, CPU is much faster and everything just works as expected. Now to see how long it will last.

Samsung or LG for android is the only way to go. I personally use LG and have for years even going back to my old flip phones. Nothing but excellent results with them.

I actually have an older LG smartphone right now ( Lucid VS840 ). It is heading for 4 years in service with zero issues. Haven't upgraded to something newer because it won't die and keeps on working. It is a bit slower than newer phones starting up and such but again it works flawlessly so I will keep on with it as long as possible.

I understand though the OP lost an LG phone early on to failure so he is wary. Just trying to be honest in my answer and for me LG would definitely be one of the best options. That or Samsung.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back