Garage Lighting for 24 x 24 Space - Barrina or Harbor Freight

I just purchased a house with a 24' x 24' garage and the lighting is pretty poor. There are two incandescent bulbs connected to a light switch and two that are built into the garage door opener. Obviously this will not do being a DIYer!

My original plan was to purchase 6x the Harbor Freight 5-5.5k lumen shop lights. Have four connected to the switched sockets and the other two to the garage unit (using light socket to outlet adapters).

Now I've stumbled on the Barrina brand and am leaning towards either the six pack of the 8ft T8 or a ten pack of the 4ft T8. I'm thinking the 4ft kit would give me greater flexibility on lighting position and maybe I'd connect 2 of them to the garage lighting, then the other 8 to the switched circuit.

They look like a better value in terms of cost per lumens over the HF. Does anyone have experience with these and am I overlooking something better?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I have had the Barrina LED lights in my 30x12 shed for almost a year now. They have been great. I know some have issues with them failing, but I am sure that can happen with anything.

Interesting, and thank you for pointing these out. Those Barrina ones look pretty good and the reviews are pretty good too! Normally I say you get what you pay for but even if these don't last it might be worth the experiment.

There are many ways to approach lighting in a garage. I personally got bulbs and fixtures so I can swap bulbs out as they go bad vs a non serviceable unit I have to toss. My 19x22 Garage has 12 fixtures and 24 bulbs.

The Barrina lights have been very popular since they are cheap, id say go with that setup vs the HF single bulb units.

how tall are your celings?

@cutlassvillager I put these in my 3 car garage with 4 sockets. They were easier to deal with and it avoided any wiring.

Just my $0.02

I just purchased a house with a 24' x 24' garage and the lighting is pretty poor. There are two incandescent bulbs connected to a light switch and two that are built into the garage door opener. Obviously this will not do being a DIYer!

My original plan was to purchase 6x the Harbor Freight 5-5.5k lumen shop lights. Have four connected to the switched sockets and the other two to the garage unit (using light socket to outlet adapters).
That light-socket-to-outlet idea is new to me. Thanks, I might do this in my garage.

I have the same size garage with 12ft ceilings. I had only two 60w bulbs in the garage when we bought the house.

I went to HD and bought 6 of the cheapest 4ft ballast they had, then got LED tubes from Costco. That was 7 years ago and I haven’t had to touch them since. I like a lot of light and it’s enough for me, I wouldn’t want any less.

The biggest thing you can do if it’s not already done is paint the ceiling and walls a light white or something light. It makes a drastic difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I have 17 - 4 ft twin tube fluorescent fixtures from 10 years ago and if I did it today I would use the same except using LED tubes. In a garage with a high ceiling, you don’t have to spend money on fixtures with plastic covers.

Since LED’s are so darn bright I think I would go for a softer white. My fluorescents are cool white and are just fine but I tried a couple of “daylight” fluorescent bulbs and they were just too bright.

Last edited:
^ this x2. This would dictate how serviceable/reliable I'd let slide for me.
There are many ways to approach lighting in a garage. I personally got bulbs and fixtures so I can swap bulbs out as they go bad vs a non serviceable unit I have to toss. My 19x22 Garage has 12 fixtures and 24 bulbs.

The Barrina lights have been very popular since they are cheap, id say go with that setup vs the HF single bulb units.

how tall are your celings?
I haven't had a chance to measure it but I think they're pretty typical garage height ~9-10 feet? The ceiling is open to the trusses and the walls are dark, so I think I'll lose some light to these factors. Insulating and drywalling the garage is on my to do list too after I settle in for a bit. Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

I have 17 - 4 ft twin tube fluorescent fixtures from 10 years ago and if I did it today I would use the same except using LED tubes. In a garage with a high ceiling, you don’t have to spend money on fixtures with plastic covers.

Since LED’s are so darn bright I think I would go for a softer white. My fluorescents are cool white and are just fine but I tried a couple of “daylight” fluorescent bulbs and they were just too bright.
I am considering the 5000K color temperature hoping it wouldn't be as harsh as the 6500K!

I haven't had a chance to measure it but I think they're pretty typical garage height ~9-10 feet? The ceiling is open to the trusses and the walls are dark, so I think I'll lose some light to these factors. Insulating and drywalling the garage is on my to do list too after I settle in for a bit. Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

Just add another 50% of lights to your order :D

I am considering the 5000K color temperature hoping it wouldn't be as harsh as the 6500K!
5000k is what I went with.

Now I've stumbled on the Barrina brand and am leaning towards either the six pack of the 8ft T8 or a ten pack of the 4ft T8. I'm thinking the 4ft kit would give me greater flexibility on lighting position and maybe I'd connect 2 of them to the garage lighting, then the other 8 to the switched circuit.

They look like a better value in terms of cost per lumens over the HF. Does anyone have experience with these and am I overlooking something better?
I've used the Barrina LEDs in my old garage, my MIL's garage and basement, and now in my new home's basement and garage to great benefit. Inexpensive, easy to install, and there are plenty of options in case you find you need a couple longer in-between cords etc. I did exactly what you're talking about, putting those light socket extenders with outlets in the switched lamps in the garage and basement. Super easy and effective.

The only thing I'd note is that the little bitty screws they provide are very cheap, soft metal. Grab a couple packs of the same size from HD/Lowes etc and you'll be less likely to strip the heads. And pre-drill the holes.

jeff

I've used the 4000K. Would recommend. Personally not a fan of the higher ones. I wish more general purpose type lighting was available in the 3000-3500K range
Agree. I find 3000k to be about ideal for task lighting.

That said, I have experience with those HF LED lights and like the quality of light that they put out. They may not be as convenient to set up, TBD, but they do illuminate well.

Get the barinna, they are awesome. I have them in my garage and in my shed. They come with extra wires and connectors to make longer continuous strips. I'd go with the 12 pack.

Look on amazon for returned units that may be in Damaged packaging. You can save yourself a couple of bucks.

Here are some pics. On some my lights those flimsy clips were a pain. I used that metal strapping aka "all around" to secure the lights in place. Under the shelf I pointed the lights against.the back wall. Looks cool at night.

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_171346680_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230324_171346680_HDR.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230324_171341729.jpg
    IMG_20230324_171341729.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230324_171240015.jpg
    IMG_20230324_171240015.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230324_171248953.jpg
    IMG_20230324_171248953.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230324_171244792.jpg
    IMG_20230324_171244792.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230325_154858336_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154858336_HDR.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230325_154851655.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154851655.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 23
Agree. I find 3000k to be about ideal for task lighting.

I've used the 4000K. Would recommend. Personally not a fan of the higher ones. I wish more general purpose type lighting was available in the 3000-3500K range

All the bulbs inside my house are 3000-3500k, there is some pro/cons to different color temps.

As long as you have good bulbs (>90CRI) and enough lumens/Foot Candles at your work plane you are already way ahead.

I've used the Barrina LEDs in my old garage, my MIL's garage and basement, and now in my new home's basement and garage to great benefit. Inexpensive, easy to install, and there are plenty of options in case you find you need a couple longer in-between cords etc. I did exactly what you're talking about, putting those light socket extenders with outlets in the switched lamps in the garage and basement. Super easy and effective.

The only thing I'd note is that the little bitty screws they provide are very cheap, soft metal. Grab a couple packs of the same size from HD/Lowes etc and you'll be less likely to strip the heads. And pre-drill the holes.

jeff
Yes x2, those screws are horrendous.

Back