Gas Range Reliability

Well, fortunately, the world is finally catching on. I was at WalWart a month or two ago and found an Aluminum, Non- stick, Non-Teflon, skillet that has a magnetic plate incorporated into the bottom... Oh yeah, and it doesn't weigh any more than a reg aluminum skillet.
Weight is very low on my list of priorities (usually prefer heavier due to more metal used) but it is technically impossible for an iron/alloy bottomed aluminum skillet, of same size, to not weigh a lot more unless it uses thinner aluminum too.

This. There is nothing a gas cooktop does that an induction does not do significantly better.
Pretty sure you have that backwards. Everything from cost, lifespan, compatibility with various cookware, cleaning, use in a power outage, repair, heating speed, cost of gas, vs electricity. I just covered practically every important parameter of a stove, what could you possibly be considering instead? Okay, lower risk of causing a fire is one.

Pretty sure you have that backwards. Everything from cost, lifespan, compatibility with various cookware, cleaning, use in a power outage, repair, heating speed, cost of gas, vs electricity. I just covered practically every important parameter of a stove, what could you possibly be considering instead? Okay, lower risk of causing a fire is one.
They can transfer significantly more heat, and it is much more precisely controllable. Also much better for the environment not burning gas. Compatibility is a non issue unless you are using really cheap pans/pots.

Of course now there are people saying the EMI from the induction cooktop is not at all good for you...

It doesn't matter what you do or get, someone will figure out a way it is bad for you or the environment or possibly both...

They can transfer significantly more heat, and it is much more precisely controllable. Also much better for the environment not burning gas. Compatibility is a non issue unless you are using really cheap pans/pots.

On the contrary, the best pans tend to be stainless 304/316 with copper or aluminum cores, are not efficient at all with induction heating. Induction cooktops only come anywhere near the same performance with select few pans in carefully crafted demonstrations instead of average scenarios with good cookware.

I've never had a problem controlling my burners, and they get plenty hot enough. It's likely not as bad for the environment as an induction stove, which not only has to have the electricity generated though various not-entirely-green methods, but also the stove itself has to be replaced more often (with associated mining/etc and landfill tolls) and comes over on a container ship which is one of the most polluting transportation methods on earth. There's the issue of extraction without contaminating groundwater, but until we accept a nuclear power station future, natural gas is still one of the only low pollution, inexpensive energy sources.

Some people like to mention methane, which is one of the green lies. Methane is not a problem, decomposes within a few years. What happens to this methane if we don't extract it? It comes out of the ground anyway. We're likely better off tapping into the large reserves to bleed them down rather than have a sudden, very large release. The methane is being made (by bacteria), with or without our involvement, not like it just magically vanishes if we don't use it for fuel.

On the contrary, the best pans tend to be stainless 304/316 with copper or aluminum cores, are not efficient at all with induction heating. Induction cooktops only come anywhere near the same performance with select few pans in carefully crafted demonstrations instead of average scenarios with good cookware.

I've never had a problem controlling my burners, and they get plenty hot enough. It's likely not as bad for the environment as an induction stove, which not only has to have the electricity generated though various not-entirely-green methods, but also the stove itself has to be replaced more often (with associated mining/etc and landfill tolls) and comes over on a container ship which is one of the most polluting transportation methods on earth. There's the issue of extraction without contaminating groundwater, but until we accept a nuclear power station future, natural gas is still one of the only low pollution, inexpensive energy sources.

Some people like to mention methane, which is one of the green lies. Methane is not a problem, decomposes within a few years. What happens to this methane if we don't extract it? It comes out of the ground anyway. We're likely better off tapping into the large reserves to bleed them down rather than have a sudden, very large release. The methane is being made (by bacteria), with or without our involvement, not like it just magically vanishes if we don't use it for fuel.
Uh, OK. I live in Canada, we use actual green energy. There is no gas cooktop that can compete with my Miele induction cooktop in terms of cooking performance. Full stop. Don’t even try.

Also, living in a condo, the waste heat from a gas cooktop is significantly detrimental. I want to heat my food, not waste it to the room.

Last edited:
The best gas oven/stove I had was a Garland. It was built to last, simple solid construction, easy to disassemble for cleaning, easy to repair with access to everything. But it never needed repairs. Unlike most modern appliances which look swanky but are not user-serviceable, this thing was built like a tank from the 1940s, nothing electronic. Nice features, like 20,000+ BTU burners in a star pattern that fired straight up so the gas heat hit the pan/pot directly instead of flaring around it. The oven was gas too, with adjustable jetting by rotating a cylinder to adjust the air gap, so you could tune it for natural gas or propane. I loved that thing! Wish they still built them like that.

Induction cooktop costs 3-4x as much as good gas cooktop.
Also they are less reliable ie lower lifespan.

finally my neighbor had a samsung gas range.. the gas valves wore out got harder and harder to turn until he had broken all his knobs... never had that happen even on a 30 year old range.

If induction was same price range as gas I would consider it. or small premium. I priced out new decent gas and electric both under 800$ cheapest induction was 2500+

Edit: lowes had one model on sale for 999(OOS) and another for 1400(OOS) (4 element) rest are $2500 maybe my next range will be induction..
if they have something in the 1k range when I'm shopping.

Wife keeps burning up dinner on the gas range.. she grew up with electric. I naturally look at the flame when adjusting the burner.. she still does it electric style ie where the knob is very linear and doesnt look at the change in flame.

Last edited:
Also, living in a condo, the waste heat from a gas cooktop is significantly detrimental. I want to heat my food, not waste it to the room.

What's the KW rating for the cooktop? Probably well over 2KW with 2 or more burners going, or lower KWH for longer cook time. That's not terribly efficient compare to say, a microwave or crock pot.

50/50... half the year my natural gas heater is on, heat from a stove is pretty close to equal efficiency in helping to heat the premises. Other half of the year, especially summer, I have central air to extract heat. We're talking pennies difference here, not enough to ever make up for the higher cost of the induction stove. Why does the induction stove cost so much more? So many additional resources and inefficiencies involved in producing it, multiplied by number of times you have to also make replacements due to shorter lifespan. It's a shell game, just moving where you count the costs and penalties. On a global scale, even the earning of the money to pay for the more expensive widgets, has a negative impact on the environment.

Last edited:
This. There is nothing a gas cooktop does that an induction does not do significantly better.
Than why don't professional chefs, top rated restaurants, Food Network studios use induction? Strictly gas.
"

"Uh, OK. I live in Canada, we use actual green energy." 😆

Last edited:
Than why don't professional chefs, top rated restaurants, Food Network studios use induction? Strictly gas
Because, that's what they were taught, they have to cook a lot of stuff so they need 6 or more burners, they have a lot invested in pots and pans, and probably for a few more reasons.
Induction only heats the pot, not the surrounding air, so heat transfer is much more efficient. So your "green energy" would be less wasteful if you went to induction.
It's also hundreds of times safer for people, particularly when they get old and forgetful. Did you ever leave a burner on by mistake? On induction, it makes absolutely no difference.
As far as reliability, I doubt if anyone has done a direct cpmparison study. Mine is ablout 6 years old now and I haven't had the first issue.

Because, that's what they were taught, they have to cook a lot of stuff so they need 6 or more burners, they have a lot invested in pots and pans, and probably for a few more reasons.
Induction only heats the pot, not the surrounding air, so heat transfer is much more efficient. So your "green energy" would be less wasteful if you went to induction.
It's also hundreds of times safer for people, particularly when they get old and forgetful. Did you ever leave a burner on by mistake? On induction, it makes absolutely no difference.
As far as reliability, I doubt if anyone has done a direct cpmparison study. Mine is ablout 6 years old now and I haven't had the first issue.
"Because, that's what they were taught." Yeah, there's a reason they were taught using gas. Because it's better. How many induction stoves do you think they have at CIA? I'll answer for you...none. If induction cooktops were so great, more people would have them, more high end homes with high end kitchens would have them and they would be far more prevalent than they are. When it comes to both every day cooking and culinary excellence, gas stoves are the standard and your induction stove is the quirky, out-of-the-way exception that very few people want. Fact.

Electricity currently costs 3.6 times as much as natural gas in my location for the same amount of energy. Even if an induction stove is twice as efficient at cooking as my gas range, it will still cost 1.8 times as much to do the same work, and is currently powered by an electric grid that is 55% powered by coal and 18% purchased on the open market, also still dominated by coal.

Plus the cost of switching much of my cookware, plus the premium of buying the unit in the first place...

Forgive me for not running to an induction stove just yet...

Do I see their worth? Sure. Do I see it for me today. No. Maybe some day, but not today.

Electricity currently costs 3.6 times as much as natural gas in my location for the same amount of energy. Even if an induction stove is twice as efficient at cooking as my gas range, it will still cost 1.8 times as much to do the same work, and is currently powered by an electric grid that is 55% powered by coal and 18% purchased on the open market, also still dominated by coal.

Plus the cost of switching much of my cookware, plus the premium of buying the unit in the first place...

Forgive me for not running to an induction stove just yet...

Do I see their worth? Sure. Do I see it for me today. No. Maybe some day, but not today.
Nope. Waste heat accounts for the vast majority of energy generated by gas ranges. This is why there is not one scenario where gas ranges are more efficient. It's not possible.

The only knock against induction is cost and reliability.

Last edited:
Back