Looking for more HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I’m waiting on the coyote based ecoboost. Would be a great option in the super duty trucks

Id sign up for that - Im actually really impressed with the 3.5.

Curious what the OP is going to do.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

The coyote seems to be a killer platform for mods.

Unsurprisingly Roush really did their homework on the injection and timing system to keep detonation at bay.

I guess time will tell how long it holds up, but thats pretty amazing.

Id have figured that with 200 + HP on the stock mill the thing would deep fry the rings with detonation and be blowing oil out the dipstick tube in no time.

Im used to more torque than Hp with blower setups so seeing close to 700HP and 545 looks weird to me, but I primarily deal with them in marine engines - homebuilts come in all the time blowing out out the breathers and dipstick tubes guys asking what to do..

My own na/injected engines make V10 700/ 650 and the BBC makes 725 and 819

It's amazing what can be done with modern engine designs!

The Coyote has A LOT going for it.......
Very good chamber design, Don't have to run very much ignition lead even in a N/A set-up.
Small Bore (3.629"), Easier to control combustion/flame front.
4-valve per cylinder, Less valve shrouding with a small bore.
Forged Crankshaft.

People get away with running a lot of boost on small bore LS engines also & know of a few stock long block with widened top ring gap 5.3L's pushing 15-18 PSI @ 650-700 RWHP.
One has at least 30,000 miles on it at 700hp that is just now starting to push oil, Not bad considering the engine had 150,000 miles before it was boosted.....Buy another $500 pullout rinse & repeat!!!

Boats sure are a different animal in my opinion, I had a Olds powered Jet Boat & broke the engine several times before realizing that performance boating & my income didn't mesh well!!!

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Turbo or blower is really the only thing you can do to up power to a decent level.

Windmills are the cheapest way to do it thats for sure, and the only way for some configs as there just arent any "better parts" like in the ubiquitous BBC world.

You can pull the motor out and make HP the old fashioned non windmill way through bigger displacement and better flowing parts and higher revs and possibly more compression- but thats usually on the edge of pump gas as is..

seems most guys don't do that anymore or really need to if thats how stout these long blocks are.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back