Interesting clamp failure

I guess I need to go look at the clamps on the Borla Cat-back that has been on my 98 Chevy K1500 since about 2000 or 2001. I don't have any exhaust leaks that I can hear.

I had a1983 Ford F 150 that a quick lube stripped the plug. I had to drive like h@ll to a Ford dealer 30 miles away to get a replacement as they were going to close soon. I asked them if the threads in the pan bung would be ruined. At that time they said the pan threads were hardened just so if anything was damaged, it would be the plug. Too bad they don’t do that anymore.

Is there really any doubt in your mind?
Sure, because it was more than likely the 1400 ft-lb BluePoint impact they used on those clamps.

I apologize! Wrong thread I posted on. But, to answer this one, my buddies and I patched a lot of exhaust pipes with beer cans and baling wire!

Borla has sent me two replacement clamps, will post some pics once they are here. I suspect they'll be the same make/model as what was on there.

The Borla cat-back on my wife's RAM 1500 was installed by the dealer. Well, about two months ago I noticed the one pipe was sitting funny and I've been putting off climbing under it to see why.

Well, finally got around to it on the weekend and the clamp split in half 😳

View attachment 181649
View attachment 181646

It was obviously leaking, but not audibly, which is interesting, but it's post-muffler so I guess that's why.

So, popped up to Canadian Tire and bought the only band-style clamp they have, which is like 3" wide. I'm going to reach out to Borla to see about warranty on it.

I assume this was due to the dealer over-tightening it (probably using a small impact on them?) but I'm still surprised.

those type clamps generally stretch... literally only good for one or two uses.. The MOCO uses them...

Back