Looking for Awd Cross/Suv with 500-mile range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequently i make a nice 498 mile journey door to door which my turbo sonata can do with about 1-2 bar left or 40-60 mile of range left. While down there i like to check in on the beach house which you can get to by taking a beach road or a dirt trail that easily gets mudded when it rains, so that leaves out my sonata and i usually borrow my buddies pickup truck to get there. Since i wont have access to that favor anymore i'm looking to trade up for a new suv.

Since i never had any problem with the sonata i tried looking at the sante fe sport but doesnt seem to have the mpg or a large enough fuel tank im looking for. Also looked at the forester but it also has a small tank and not alot of horsepower for 2.5l. Seems like all these suvs have smaller gas tank sizes than sedans.

Any other new vehicles to look at, basically trying to stay under 32grand overall so around 29grand before taxes

We have Subaru Forester and Crosstrek. Both are nice cars. But fuel tank in each is on the small side I assume to save money and weight.

My 1993 Suburban had a 46 gallon gas tank. Nice until you had to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. (More than once).

You must have one heck of a bladder..

So you are willing to spend $30K on a vehicle so that you dont have to stop for gas..

Closest you are going to get is around 400 miles in a Honda HR-V with awd.

Looks like you're going to have to stop for gas.

F150 EB with extended range tank but it isn't a Crossover or SUV and you likely can't buy one for 32.

Subaru Legacy? It's a sedan that does 35 mpg highway, and still has AWD.

The 500 mile range AWD CUV doesn't really exist. A RAV4 Hybrid might get close, but it only has a 14.8 gallon tank and 31 mpg highway. That's 50 miles short.

Originally Posted By: knerml
The Hyundai Tucson Eco should have a 500+ range.

32MPG X 16.4g tank = 525 mi

That is the FWD.

AWD rated at 30 hyw which puts it under 500.

BTW, a more realistic calculation is probably "fuel tank capacity - 2.0gal x combined epa rating" as it would give you some cushion.

How bad is the road? AWD CUV does not = 4x4 pickup truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
My 1993 Suburban had a 46 gallon gas tank. Nice until you had to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. (More than once).

And they always failed at full or darn near it...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd want to stop and gas up if for no other reason than avoiding blood clots

Agree. I always stop and have a walk around for a few minutes. Stand by the car and sip a drink for a few.

I average 600 in the Jeep. 700+ is possible with highway travel and LRR tires.

I bought mine used for $32k.

krismoriah72 said:

So you are willing to spend $30K on a vehicle so that you dont have to stop for gas..

Closest you are going to get is around 400 miles in a Honda HR-V with awd. [/quote

Great minds thinking alike.
Always a good idea to get out for a stretch.

Toyota Highlander gets you close. EPA 26 on the highway, over 19 gallon fuel tank, but just over at 35K for the lowest trim V6 AWD. The FWD 4 actually gets worse estimated highway fuel economy.

Mazda CX-9. AWD version 19.5 gallon capacity at 27 hwy = 526.5 miles. Pricey though. Their smaller crossovers don't get there based on tank capacity.

Originally Posted By: Delta

And they always failed at full or darn near it...

On the positive side they also seemed to break in hot weather. No dropping a gas tank when its snowing.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
krismoriah72 said:

Closest you are going to get is around 400 miles in a Honda HR-V with awd. [/quote

Great minds thinking alike.
Always a good idea to get out for a stretch.

Its only a little over 6 and 30 min trip. Main thing is not to get dehydrated, so i sip about 2 bottle of water. Using cruise control allows me to stretch legs and do some calve raises.

Actually great minds dont think alike havent you ever watched Carmen Sandiego lol

We have Subaru Forester and Crosstrek. Both are nice cars. But fuel tank in each is on the small side I assume to save money and weight.

i actually prefer the look of the crosstrek vs the forester but i dont think i could deal with 148hp coming from 274hp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DaRider34

i actually prefer the look of the crosstrek vs the forester but i dont think i could deal with 148hp...

I've had both. The XV for sure is the sportier and cooler looking vehicle, but the Forester wins in pretty much every other aspect. Neither will get you 500 miles between fill-ups because of the tiny fuel tanks, but you'll get close. Perhaps ~400 range.

SUVs, even these latest non-truck wannabe sedan based ones, are gas pigs.

Perhaps a highlander hybrid or jeep diesel are options, but I doubt it.

That said, IMO youre better off stopping part way and topping up gas, and more importantly, stretching the legs, moving around, doing some exercise, relieving the bladder... Not good to sit so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back