Longest work commute in time/mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work is 30 miles away. I work evenings and go to ASU 3 days a week so my commute is weird. I also visit my grandpa a few days a week.

My daily commute is about 67 miles a day. There's no traffic when I leave though so 30 miles is 35 minutes.

Doesn't bother me, work is in a large corporate office in SW Phoenix (not a pleasant part of town) and I live in Mesa, AZ which is a lot nicer.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If it were so critical to keep family in one place and work in another (which I can definitely see why folks would want to do that), I'd rent a room to stay at at least a few nights a week. To drive further than say, 15 miles/30 minutes as a regular long term commute is crazy.

I've thought about that. But it seems cheaper to live at home than to pay for two places.

I've been trying to think of how I could convince the wife to let us move closer to work, maybe go back to renting. Every way I slice it, I come up with it costing more--plus she'd be apt to drive back to where we are, for the things she does, negating any (possible) savings.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If it were so critical to keep family in one place and work in another (which I can definitely see why folks would want to do that), I'd rent a room to stay at at least a few nights a week. To drive further than say, 15 miles/30 minutes as a regular long term commute is crazy.

I've thought about that. But it seems cheaper to live at home than to pay for two places.

I've been trying to think of how I could convince the wife to let us move closer to work, maybe go back to renting. Every way I slice it, I come up with it costing more--plus she'd be apt to drive back to where we are, for the things she does, negating any (possible) savings.

This is where it's difficult to sometimes cost out. Cost more in terms of what? Car and housing outlays? What about the costs that have no dollar values associated? Health/sitting, family time, other hobbies things you would like to do, etc.?

Not saying you're wrong, just can't imagine giving that up.

I reckon, housing cost would go up by $200/month, offset by lowered commuting costs. Hard to say. Pick a sketchier area, it might even be cheaper--but nah. It'll be more expensive.

Hobbies? Ugh, all they do is cost me money... I'm better off with as few as possible!

There is no ideal location for me. High tech work, but I like small town life. I'm also getting cheaper as I age (which is good as the kids are getting more expensive!).

23 miles one way to my van pool (in which I sleep and dodge tolls) or 58 to the office directly.

I can make it home in just a hair over an hour when traffic's light.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back