Retired.

Bed to La-Z-Boy ~ 18'
cool.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
For 18 years I did a 2.5 hour 130 mile commute daily.
Fortunately, I'm retired now, fail to comprehend how I did it for that many years, and don't miss it at all.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Retired.

Bed to La-Z-Boy ~ 18'
cool.gif

I love retirement. I am busier now than ever before.
As my BIL says(also retired), "I don't have a thing to do but, I am always busy".

Back in the day, San Jose to San Luis Obispo once a week. Lived at fire station, then return 4 days later. 186 miles each way. Four or five hours depending on weather and traffic ...

Longest daily commute Los Gatos to South San Fran. About 70 miles with traffic always
frown.gif

Only lasted about 3 months, then shorter - only to Redwood City and that was by motorcycle
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I just did an Uber from my hotel back to the airport in LA. The driver lives in Applevalley and works downtown LA, which is 88 miles one way! His Camry had 200,000+ miles and he said he will keep it for at least another 100,000. He buys used cars with 100,000+ for cheap.
yes many people up here work in los Angelas. If traffic is bad it can take 7or more hrs to get home.

I know people that drive 200m to vegas and back daily.400m a day.

Last edited:
Mine was only 25 miles each way...45-50 minutes going and 60 minutes coming home.

I'd agree the quality of your work life combined with the quality of your commute life will tend to dictate your quality of life to a greater degree than it should.

The idea of the "supercommuter" ( ex. Sacramento to Silicon Valley ) isn't a rare one depending on where you live. I'd rather push a broom than have a 100 mile commute each way. I'd have to stay at a relatives or at a motel for a night or two just to keep my sanity.

It reminds me of those poor saps living outside Tokyo who are shoe-horned into a train and endure 75-90 minutes of that each way.

Mine was 65 miles each way back in the early 70's. Did that for about 6 months and then moved about 10 miles from my work. Driving that 65 miles after coming off graveyard shift, and the sun beating down on you through the windshield, its a wonder I did not kill myself. Hard to stay awake.

If I absolutely HAVE TO go into the office, it's approx 17 miles each way and I allow about 30 min as I drive on rural two-lanes at 50 mph or less. But since 4/2007, my workstation has usually been at the end of my bed. I haven't been in the office in three years.

The food service manager at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Runs down the Canyon from the rim, in less than three hours consistently, works ten days, and then runs back up the Canyon to the rim for his four days off.
THAT is commitment.
No, it certainly was not me. I did listen to him say his record down the canyon was an hour and 26 minutes!

Some have no choice than to drive far for a very good job. It's difficult to find the perfect job close to home.

When I did field service from the time I left home the clock started ticking and I was getting paid..... so it wasn't that bad crisscrossing the state and racking up OT.

50 miles each way, sometimes I can keep it to 50 minutes, usually it's closer to 60. I think about moving closer, sometimes I wish I had, but it is pretty nice out here.

18 miles each way...takes around 20 minutes.

1st year out of uni, 48 miles...morning was much quicker than return, there was only ever one cop car on the road, and if I met him at the right point, I could hammer it...best time was 32 minutes.

Currently 22 miles each way. About half an hour, depending on traffic and whether I use the interstate or just do back roads.

Few years back I worked with a guy who commuted from his farm in Athens, Ohio to our shop in Wilmington, Oh. Two hours and 20 minutes each way, five days a week. Crazy. He drove a beat up Chevy Cavalier with over 450,000 miles on it. He was a crusty old guy, made really good money at the job there but didnt want to sell his farm to move closer to work, even though he could have had a farm in Wilmington dirt cheap. Made no sense to me, but he didn't seem to mind the drive at all.

Longest I ever did was 33 miles, 45 minutes to an hour. It was brutal; I never want to do that again. Thankfully I only had to do that for about a year before my company moved to an office closer. Now my commute is 20 miles, 20 minutes to half hour. It's tolerable.

I can't imagine wasting my life in a car the way I'm reading, unless I'm a driver/courier or traveling salesman type of thing. Some per diem jobs pay well and require an area coverage too.

For an in one place/desk job? No thanks. If it were so critical to keep family in one place and work in another (which I can definitely see why folks would want to do that), I'd rent a room to stay at at least a few nights a week. To drive further than say, 15 miles/30 minutes as a regular long term commute is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back