Local dealers still pushing 5k max oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What problem has been solved ? Varnish ? Are you saying we don't have to worry about oils varnishing up the engines anymore ? I never got the memo.
laugh.gif

The vast majority of engines out there don't get varnished as long as they're being maintained according to directions with an approved lubricant. 1980 is long gone. The engine in your Buick wouldn't have a lick of varnish with 10,000 mile M1 OCIs.

We see a lot of varnish in long OCI engines like BMW's etc. but no sludge. 15K miles is not uncommon in Europe.

Last edited:
BMWs still aren't the majority.
wink.gif
My old Audi was coked up, and a bit of orange, too, but the previous owner was following the manual, which had 12,500 km severe service intervals with conventional, which was clearly a bit much. At times, things certainly are a bit overly optimistic.

But, to hear Merk tell it, 5000 miles will give you varnish even if you had a 15 quart sump and it were all highway miles with an A3/B4 lube.

from what few engines i have cracked open i didn't see much varnish but only hard carbon deposits. i had a s10 with a 4.3 that was choked so bad under the valve cover that oil wouldn't drain back down into the pan.
i ran a straight coat hanger down the oil returns and scrubbed the top end with kerosene.

I think it is funny because my dealership is recommending 5k or 3 months. 3 MONTHS? They asked if I had any questions and I asked why they distrust the OLM considering the number of engineers who were involved in the design. Once I got the [censored] I asked them to take the sticker off.

If the dealer is acting weird.Talk to the service manager.If he won't play ball.Ask for the district managers name and phone number and deal with him.Also threatening to go to the better business bureau, this usually gets wheels turning. My family was in the car service department business for years.We always just did what is right.(courtesy cars and floor and seat covers and your car being washed after being worked on)I actually asked my dad what got his attention.And it was this. Try looking at your car's manual also.
This whole synthetic oil being changed so soon seems strange.especially to folks on this site!
oh yeah, a lady at work has a 2001 ford truck with 400,000 miles with few problems.She is older and does that 3000 -mile oil change with Valvoline dino oil.I don't know how she has that kinda mileage, but she does drive a lot.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The local 'Yoda dealer cranked the oil counter on mom's 4Runner to 5k. I still have to figure out how to get it changed back to 10k.

I just change it at 10k regardless of the maintenance reminder.

It goes off every 5k for tire rotations and fluid level checks. No way to turn it off. Oil changes as you allude to are every 10k miles or one year.

Sorry I am just now seeing this, but it did not go off when it had 5000 miles on the odometer.

Hey Falcon, nothing wrong with checking oil level every 2nd fill up. Seems to me that's way more often than the majority of people do unless they're driving an oil burner.As for tire pressures,most cars now have TPMS they warn way before regular idiot lights do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back