2019 Audi SQ5 3.0T metal specs on oil filter

I thought I'd update this thread. Engine is still running fine 6,000 kms later.

After many hours of online searching and watching youtube videos of this engine being disassembled, the most likely cause of the metal sparkles is cam shaft gear wear. Audi used sintered aluminum for the gears and the timing chain appears to gradually wear the gear teeth, allowing fine aluminum particles to accumulate in the oil filter.

There is a youtube channel called VAG Technik which has posted several videos documenting rocker arm replacement on the 3.0L V6 EA839. During the job, they noted cam shaft gear wear and mentioned the timing chain being the cause. They replaced the gears while they had the engine apart.

Overall the issue seems common as I have found dozens of reports on forums and youtube videos. Most owners that have their vehicle serviced at the dealer are probably blissfully unaware.

I wonder what happens when that stuff moves around the engine though? Sure it gets caught up in the filter eventually but what wear is it causing in its path? If this was my vehicle, it was out of powertrain vehicle, and I found that stuff in the oil filter, I'd be trading it in ASAP. Bummer that such a nice car is having such an issue. Sounds like a design defect if it's that common - maybe buy something with a different engine?

Back