Local dealers still pushing 5k max oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get their senior level techs to do your oil changes or [censored], I'll even whimsey a shop foreman for it, it would be dealer almost always especially during the all-important break-in period where you want to deliberately use the same oil formula cause the moly-laden FF is still in there after the first oil change (due to up to .8 quarts not draining out)! I am on my first post-FF OCI or OCI #1 and loving it. Running like a bullet. This is on one of them new-fandangled Hundas with the fancy-schmancy turbos but I call them tour-bows.

Last edited:
Here is what ford of Canada stated in an email to me when I asked them.

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre, my name is Diana. We received your email on November 19 regarding your concern.

I am sorry that you feel the dealerships are forcing you to have the oil changed sooner that the oil life monitoring system tells you. We do suggest that you go off what the Owner’s manual states in regards to oil changes for your truck unless you have the vehicle idling for extended periods of time and is operated in extreme cold conditions. In that case then we recommend that the oil changes be every 8,000 to 11, 9999 kilometers.
Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Diana S.
Customer Relationship Centre
Ford of Canada

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The Ford engineers who wrote the owner's manual and programmed the OLM are much more intelligent than those service advisors.

But also directed by bean counter management to put big .gov EPA needs and their bottom line ahead of the owners' needs.

Originally Posted By: advocate
Here is what ford of Canada stated in an email to me when I asked them.

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre, my name is Diana. We received your email on November 19 regarding your concern.

I am sorry that you feel the dealerships are forcing you to have the oil changed sooner that the oil life monitoring system tells you. We do suggest that you go off what the Owner’s manual states in regards to oil changes for your truck unless you have the vehicle idling for extended periods of time and is operated in extreme cold conditions. In that case then we recommend that the oil changes be every 8,000 to 11, 9999 kilometers.
Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Diana S.
Customer Relationship Centre
Ford of Canada

crackmeup2.gif
I thought that would be the case. No way Ford is going to go against what is written in their manual. Their out is, even though it is likely pushed from high above, "All Ford dealers are individually owned and therefore can suggest what they think is the best" or something like that?
If push came to shove, and this was written in the papers or on the news, then Ford will say, "We have talked to those dealers and strongly suggested they cease this practice".
It's all a game, and all/most manu's play it from time to time until someone steps in and complains about it, again.

Good on you advocate. I assume you will be taking this letter to them the next oil change or, like I would do, find another dealer who isn't so crooked?

Last edited:
I think 5000 miles on full synthetic is about right. Until they can develop an oil that won't varnish up from oxidation, I think 5000 miles is safe and only if you're driving the car everyday and not making short trips. I'd say 20 miles each way ought to keep the engine oil healthy for 5000 miles. You guys driving newer cars with variable valve timing, those cam phasers have little fine mesh oil screens that can get clogged up from varnish.

Originally Posted By: irv
advocate said:
Good on you advocate. I assume you will be taking this letter to them the next oil change or, like I would do, find another dealer who isn't so crooked?

My dealer is 40 minutes away by freeway and my car runs like a bullet. [censored] of a correlation. Ye hear me Bruh.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think 5000 miles on full synthetic is about right. Until they can develop an oil that won't varnish up from oxidation, I think 5000 miles is safe and only if you're driving the car everyday and not making short trips. I'd say 20 miles each way ought to keep the engine oil healthy for 5000 miles. You guys driving newer cars with variable valve timing, those cam phasers have little fine mesh oil screens that can get clogged up from varnish.

My 09’ Camry has VVT and I have not saw any varnish on them. Hmmmm.....

My dad's 2012 PentaStar saw regular conventional oil its whole life and it is VVTI. We had a fleet at work of 95 of the same that saw conventional oil changes at a minimum of 12,000 miles at best fully loaded their whole lives. All lived to 180K miles or more with the exception of 1 that was attributed to the driver abusing it.

I'm not condoning this on conventional but as a sizable real world sample.

I run over 6,000 miles in the Journey with synthetic at 250F oil temperatures and have VVTI. No issues yet. Clean as a whistle under the valve cover from what I can see with my Boroscope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
My 09’ Camry has VVT and I have not saw any varnish on them. Hmmmm.....

I think you have to take the cam phaser off and possibly disassemble it to get to the inlet screen.

Fast forward to 4:00 on this video.

What is your OCI anyway ?

I’m not doing that as I’m not consuming oil and not burning oil and no varnish. I usually do 4-5k and probably will do this with the SL M1 HM 5w30 i have

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think 5000 miles on full synthetic is about right. Until they can develop an oil that won't varnish up from oxidation, I think 5000 miles is safe and only if you're driving the car everyday and not making short trips.

Merk, this problem has been solved already, for the vast majority of applications and oils out there.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Merk, this problem has been solved already, for the vast majority of applications and oils out there.

What problem has been solved ? Varnish ? Are you saying we don't have to worry about oils varnishing up the engines anymore ? I never got the memo.
laugh.gif

My Santa Fe. What Varnish? This was when the camshaft broke in an area that doesn't contact anything else and after the ton of miles I put on the engine.

Last edited:
6K miles (10,000km) because the nitration was super high as this engine was hard on oil. Then once it had 200,000km on it I would push it to 8-9K Miles (13-15K KM) which was the limit in this engine according to the UOA (TBN of 1.6). I decided to push it at this point because I was happy with the miles I got out of the engine and wanted to experiment with the limits of Amsoil being beaten up in this engine. The manual called for 3750 Mile OCI's (6,000km) Just as reference. (Amsoil I was using was rated at 25,000 miles (40,000km) or 1 year)

The engine died at the mileage in my signature when a Cam broke and unfortunately the valves slammed into the piston on 2 cylinders and that was the end of that. At first we thought maybe a cam chain broke so we pulled the covers on the heads to investigate and this is what it looked like. I was so impressed I took a picture because I couldn't believe how clean it was.

In my Dodge Journey i'm testing the limits again and I have looked under the valve cover as much as possible with my Boroscope and from what I can see it's really clean.

Besides all this... Varnish doesn't kills engines or cause any problems. It's merely cosmetic in nature. Sludge is the problem. I think often times sludge and varnish get associated together and they shouldn't because varnish is harmless.

Here is a good read showing that varnish is harmless: http://amsoil.millionmilechevy.com/custom-1/Million Mile Broch.pdf
(The Engine had 60K miles before being switched over to Amsoil so who knows what caused all this varnish)

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jakewells
my dad told me the number 1 producer of engine varnish was castrol in the 1980's but im sure it is different now.

Castrol had a habit of turning the insides ofcengines orange back then for whatever reason. A old mechanic friend said he could guess which engines were using it.

I always thought that varnish was the precursor to sludge? As the varnish took hold it was easier for sludge to build up on those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back