Local dealers still pushing 5k max oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local 'Yoda dealer cranked the oil counter on mom's 4Runner to 5k. I still have to figure out how to get it changed back to 10k.

I just change it at 10k regardless of the maintenance reminder.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The local 'Yoda dealer cranked the oil counter on mom's 4Runner to 5k. I still have to figure out how to get it changed back to 10k.

I just change it at 10k regardless of the maintenance reminder.

It goes off every 5k for tire rotations and fluid level checks. No way to turn it off. Oil changes as you allude to are every 10k miles or one year.

The FF wanted out at 3-3.5k and I might have grenaded my engine by going to like almost 6000!! The other way around but you get my point, I am not averse to even 6k OCIs!! I ain't scurred, ye hear me brehs?

Last edited:
I just checked my wife's car, which we purchased at a Ford dealer, to see what they stuck in the window as far oil changes go.

I just tore it out of there but it read, May 6th or 28,200 km's. We purchased the car with 20,200 km's so they are also going by the 6 month, 8,000 km (5,000 mile) interval even on their non Ford cars.
crackmeup2.gif

If that doesn't scream money grab, I am not sure what does. The funny thing is, for those that don't know, they didn't even change out the oil in the car like they said they would, they only changed out the filter to make it look like they changed out the oil.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: A310
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: advocate
Up here in Canada our ford dealers are really pushing for a max of 5k miles (8000 kms) and recommending synthetic at that... they are going as far to say that warranty may not be honoured if you follow Ford’s oil life monitor. This fear mongering from dealer reps is just nuts. They are scaring people to come in every 6 months minimum or you will lose your warranty (oh the horror). They are publicly saying on Facebook forums that all oil is worn out by 5k miles and must be changed. It can’t possibly last any longer. And following the oil life monitor will surely damage the engine.

Didn’t ford send a letter out to dealers telling them to stop this nonsense? Anyone have a link to it?

Most people are stupid and just go with what the dealer says. If there isn't a TSB about the oil life monitor being incorrect and the correct grade/spec oil is being used there is nothing they can do about it.

I to get letters from my Chrysler dealer all the time about changing my oil at 3K miles (5,000km) to keep the warranty intact meanwhile it has an OLM. I have had it in for warranty work / recalls and not a word was said about it.

Do you change your own oil and if so did they bring that up?

Yes I do and they haven't said anything to me at the dealer. They see the Amsoil sticker under the hood, on the back window and the Amsoil filter attached to the engine. I have regular UOA's if they want to argue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: advocate
They are scaring people to come in every 6 months minimum or you will lose your warranty (oh the horror). They are publicly saying on Facebook forums that all oil is worn out by 5k miles and must be changed. It can’t possibly last any longer. And following the oil life monitor will surely damage the engine.

That's why I tell dealers up front they will never get to change the oil on my vehicle, and that I will follow manual directions, and that changing my own oil doesn't void my warranty. If they're not interested, I can buy elsewhere.

Incidentally, I get regular email reminders from the Infiniti dealer to come in and change my oil, even though they've never been given the opportunity to do so even once.

Last edited:
I don’t think that I’m quite ready to go to the news with this just yet. I am going to email ford of Canada and see what they say about it. It’s just sad that they are literally threatening people and dangling this warranty carrot over their heads to make a buck.

I think it is funny that some dealerships near me are advertising "free" oil changes for life of the vehicle. What a joke. Nothing is "free". And the people who believe they are getting "free" oil changes are easily mislead. I'm betting these people believe in other "free" things as well.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I think it is funny that some dealerships near me are advertising "free" oil changes for life of the vehicle. What a joke. Nothing is "free". And the people who believe they are getting "free" oil changes are easily mislead. I'm betting these people believe in other "free" things as well.

And the tooth fairy!

And I bet those "free" oil changes are as per the manufactures olm, if it has one. Otherwise if it doesn't they're using the "normal" or longest oci schedule and not sooner, especially if it has an olm. And usually for those "free" oil changes the least expensive bulk conventional oil is used. It'll get you past the warranty that's all they're concerned with. And you're right you paid for those "free" oil changes upfront when you purchased the vehicle.

Whimsey

In fairness, no engine ever died from too frequent oil changes while many die of neglect including being run out of oil.
If these dealer service departments have seen enough engines come in with the vehicles in which they're installed on a flatbed, then these service departments might be doing their customers a favor by recommending short drains.
Hard to imagine a newish engine being run low enough in 5K to die.
Most owners aren't on this site and most will never pull a dipstick.

Nothing is "free". And the people who believe they are getting "free" oil changes are easily mislead.

Yes, like the "free" lifetime warranty I was offered if I got them to change all my oil, and submitted to all their upsells, no doubt.
wink.gif

Whimsey makes a good point. They would likely gladly have you in there every 3,000 miles for an oil change you pay for, but if they're paying, it's OLM.

If I have a customer who is consistantly 10,000 or 15,000km, or more over on every service, I will shorten both time and mileage on the lube sticker. I do it with my daughter's car too.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

And I bet those "free" oil changes are as per the manufactures olm, if it has one. Otherwise if it doesn't they're using the "normal" or longest oci schedule and not sooner, especially if it has an olm. And usually for those "free" oil changes the least expensive bulk conventional oil is used. It'll get you past the warranty that's all they're concerned with. And you're right you paid for those "free" oil changes upfront when you purchased the vehicle.

Whimsey

It's just a numbers game. Most people don't realize that. It really is a "free" oil change. It's the chance to upsell you. A certain percentage will fall for it and another set won't. The ones that don't fall for it are being subsidized by the ones that do. Just like how using a credit card is cheaper than paying cash. It's the cash payers who are subsidizing the credit card users. You're not paying for it in the price of the car because new car sales are pretty competitive and you can have one dealer offer the free oil change and the other not and the price is about the same so it's not built into the price. The free oil change is so that if they spot a problem, you get it fixed there instead of taking it somewhere else. The service department is the most profitable part of the dealership.

I got a 3 year alignment at Goodyear, they don't really make money on it after the first couple. But each time they tried to upsell me on some maintenance, but I've always declined. I usually just say I'll think about it and take it somewhere else because their prices are close to dealership prices and my indy is cheaper.

the nearest dealer charges 50.00 for a oil change with napa oil and filters since the dealer also owns the local napa.
he pushes 3,000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first.

Funny how most dealers are fine with long life coolant. The OAT coolant in my Dodge is rated for 10 years / 150,000 miles (240,000km)
But engine oil? Oh no... That is still a 3,000 mile change.
21.gif

Last edited:
My Dodge dealer specifies 6,000 miles or 6 months with full synthetic or 3,000/ 3 months with conventional.
I tell them to put my oil changes on the sticker at 5,000 miles.
Two year service agreement and they are good with that.
When we looked at Toyotas because they paid me to.
They had lifetime oil changes, I asked the guy what interval they used he told me 10,000 miles or one year.
One more reason I like being in charge of my own oil changes.

Last edited:
Well I guess not all dealers are the same . I take wife's 2017 Ford Escape @ Dealer , plus take my own oil + Filter 5W 20 Castrol Edge to Dealer they only charge me 13$ & I get a free car wash . Great Ford Dealer , plan to start @ 5K changes but will increase to 8K .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back