Light Noise when cold start?

When the car set for 6-10 hours and I run it, I hear light engine noise for like 3 seconds and when the oil pressure icon in the gauge cluster disappear the sound goes with it? what is that? is it the time needed for the oil to go through the whole engine compartment? is it Normal? Note: we don't have cold weather here temps are 50C (122F). The oil inside it is Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Hydraulic valve lifters need a moment to get pressurized.

I'm really not advanced at Engines but just to be more accurate the car is Kia Cadenza 2019, I think it has a GDI engine.

Originally Posted by John344

I'm really not advanced at Engines but just to be more accurate the car is Kia Cadenza 2019, I think it has a GDI engine.

GDI is not relevant to what he's stating. If it has hydraulic lash adjusters, they take a moment to "pump up" if they've bled down.

Look at high moly oils, will help quench lspi as well. All around it sounds like you need moly and low calcium. I'm not sure if moly in suspension would be good for di, but I'd look at high moly oils or additives that use oil soluble moly, there are a couple.

What filter are you using and how long has it been in?

In my vehicles that always means the ADBV valve is leaking-down overnight and draining the oil journals above the filter. I use good filters, like Fram Ultra or Napa Platinum and have no issues. 10w-30 in Oman would be preferrable, you clearly don't need that extra pumpability from -20C to -25C the 5w-30 gets you.
wink.gif
Do they market a high-quality straight 30 there? Do you ever get below freezing?

Last edited:
Amazon has lubegard biotech for 5 bucks for 10 ounce size, and 8 bucks for 15 ounce size, both shipped free even if you buy one right now sale, this is a uoa with biotech from Bob's. Moly level with be a respectable 350ppm..

Aluminum/3
Chromium/0
Iron/15
Copper/48 (down from 93)
Lead/0
Tin/0
Molybdenum/353
Nickel/0
Manganese/22
Silver/0
Titanium/0
Potassium/1
Boron/29
Silicon/13
Sodium/10
Calcium/1184
Magnesium/463
Phosphorus/781
Zinc/707
Barium/1

heres the uoa

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

GDI is not relevant to what he's stating. If it has hydraulic lash adjusters, they take a moment to "pump up" if they've bled down.

They shouldn't bleed down overnight and a new car shouldn't make harsh noises like that. Sounds like a production defect in the check valves in the lifters if so equipped. My 200,000 mile infrequently driven truck makes no such noise after sitting for weeks. Can you sit in and start up similar cars to see if they do that too?

Originally Posted by burla
Amazon has lubegard biotech for 5 bucks for 10 ounce size, and 8 bucks for 15 ounce size, both shipped free even if you buy one right now sale, this is a uoa with biotech from Bob's. Moly level with be a respectable 350ppm..

You shouldn't have to waste your money on additives to solve a problem for a new car under warranty.

When the car set for 6-10 hours and I run it, I hear light engine noise for like 3 seconds and when the oil pressure icon in the gauge cluster disappear the sound goes with it? what is that? is it the time needed for the oil to go through the whole engine compartment? is it Normal? Note: we don't have cold weather here temps are 50C (122F). The oil inside it is Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP.

Thanks,

What oil filter? Use a more free-flowing OEM-type filter with silicone ADBV. If both an OEM filter and high moly oils don't quiet startups, try switching to Castrol Edge oil, wth high Titanium technology, known to help oils cling to their parts. My Hyundai, also Korean, has not been quieter than today. Besides Titanium in my engine, I feed it 6.5oz Liqui-Moly treatment. So it get the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

They shouldn't bleed down overnight and a new car shouldn't make harsh noises like that. Sounds like a production defect in the check valves in the lifters if so equipped. My 200,000 mile infrequently driven truck makes no such noise after sitting for weeks. Can you sit in and start up similar cars to see if they do that too?

They can certainly bleed down overnight, and no, there are no check valves on HLA's to ensure they remain full of oil. There are many engines on the market that make interesting sounds on a cold start depending on what needs, and hasn't yet received, oil pressure. Timing chain tensioners are another example.

I don't expect a new KIA to feel like a Mercedes but it shouldn't sound like clapped out beater either when started cold.

Luckily the OP never indicated that it did, his exact statement was:

I hear light engine noise for like 3 seconds and when the oil pressure icon in the gauge cluster disappear the sound goes with it

This could be an HLA or tensioner and if so, is completely normal.

The Lambda engine is known for having a short (a few seconds) lifter tick. If you have the proper oil, full sump and OE filter it could very well be benign (normal). My engine has always had it. Early on I took it in to have it looked at because some of those Lambda V6's had a timing chain tensioner issue but that was not the case with mine. That's when I learned that it was "normal". All flavors of the Hyundai Lambda V6 use a timing chain btw. 160k+ miles later I have the original timing chain and it still makes that short "tick-tick-tick" on cold starts.

I'm not aware that Hyundai has a problem anymore with the timing chain tensioner but since you're still under warranty take it in and get it documented at minimum.

Q: are you 100% certain the ticking sound is coming from the top end?? If it is, I'd bet dollars to pennies it's just the lifters needing that oil to start flowing.

(guess this is why they say most engine wear occurs in those first few seconds at start up. Use a quality oil per the OM and full flow filter and I bet you'll be just fine. But like I said, it can't hurt to get a 2nd opinion on it from the dealership)

Btw, congrats on the new ride. I'm jealous........ with it being a gdi, I'd personally take care to do everything by the book (owners manual) while ur under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

(guess this is why they say most engine wear occurs in those first few seconds at start up. Use a quality oil per the OM and full flow filter and I bet you'll be just fine. But like I said, it can't hurt to get a 2nd opinion on it from the dealership)

Most wear occurs during the warm-up period where parts aren't their proper shape, there is increased blow-by and the heat-activated additives have not yet activated. This is a longer period than just the first few seconds.

Originally Posted by burla

You shouldn't have to waste your money on additives to solve a problem for a new car under warranty.

I agree you shouldn't have to, but the fact is sometimes a different lubrication strategy can absolutely cure start up clatter, nobody knows this better then me. Sometimes it can just be an oil filter swap, sometimes it can be a different oil formula, and sometimes an additive makes sense, especially if the science behind it is solid and you just changed your oil. Lubegard has pretty decent science behind it, not a gimmick like parrifins or ptfe or silicone, just moly and phos in fatty esters. We are living in times not like before, modern engines are built on the edge, not like old engines. What do you do when you have start up clatter and the dealer says normal? Turn up the radio, or take a shot at a couple things see if you can ease it up a bit? I subscribe to number 2 option.

Back