Liftmaster Garage door opener issues

So every once in awhile my garage opener acts odd and won't close. Sometimes it won't go down at all, other times it goes half way, then back up and the light flashes. Other times all works fine and the sensors are set properly. What gives?

What type of light bulb is in the unit? I ask because mine came with a incandescent, and I changed it to a compact fluorescent and the thing literally went nuts, and had a mind of its own. I put the original bulb back in and it went back to working fine.

Sunlight hitting the sensors can cause problems as well.

What type of light bulb is in the unit? I ask because mine came with a incandescent, and I changed it to a compact fluorescent and the thing literally went nuts, and had a mind of its own. I put the original bulb back in and it went back to working fine.

Sunlight hitting the sensors can cause problems as well.
Also, someone here had a thread on the sun causing a sensor issue, which is well known.
Yep, if the sun shines directly into the receiving sensor, it can obscure the light beam transmitted from the emitting safety sensor. This happens seasonally as the morning and/or afternoon sun appears low on the horizon, so it may only happen during certain weeks of the year. To test this theory, wait until it falters again, and tape a 6" x 6" piece of cardboard in front of the receiving sensor to act as a temporary sun shield. Test it with the shield in place and if it works correctly, remove it and test it again immediately to determine if the sunlight is the issue. If so, the correct way to permanently remedy the problem is to swap the positions of the two sensors so the receiving unit is not facing the sun.

As for the bulb issue, LED bulbs will wreak havoc with the remote transmitters signal by causing RF interference. Amazon sells special low RF emission bulbs for GDOs to eliminate this problem.

Last edited:
Not any of the issues mentioned. No changes made. We just went from ok to crazy. Sometimes works perfectly.

Could it be binding in the tracks sometimes? Garage doors have to auto reverse if they detect a certain load. The idea is that they back up if a child is under the door.

As for the bulb issue, LED bulbs will wreak havoc with the remote transmitters signal by causing RF interference. Amazon sells special low RF emission bulbs for GDOs to eliminate this problem.
Have you, or do you know anyone who has tried these bulbs? I'd like to try them, but the videos I've come across show them only working when the hard wired button is pressed in the garage.

Any bulb will function in that condition, including the CFL's that I installed. When you use the remote controller, is when go haywire..... I would like something in the 1,500 lumen Daylight range if possible.

Have you, or do you know anyone who has tried these bulbs? I'd like to try them, but the videos I've come across show them only working when the hard wired button is pressed in the garage.

Any bulb will function in that condition, including the CFL's that I installed. When you use the remote controller, is when go haywire.

bilt460, I installed the TORCHSTAR LED bulbs in two different GDOs in January 2023 and have had no problems with the remote transmitters to date. When I previously installed the off the shelf Sylvania LED bulbs, my remote controls would not open or close the garage door beyond ~15 feet from the GDO due to Radio Frequency Interference. Just like incandescent bulbs, the TORCHSTAR LED bulbs has eliminated the RFI problem. I can't attest to RFI from CFL bulbs since I haven't used them in a GDO.

1710848084983.jpg

Last edited:
bilt460, I installed the TORCHSTAR LED bulbs in two different GDOs in January 2023 and have had no problems with the remote transmitters to date. When I previously installed the off the shelf Sylvania LED bulbs, my remote controls would not open or close the garage door beyond ~15 feet from the GDO due to Radio Frequency Interference. Just like incandescent bulbs, the TORCHSTAR LED bulbs has eliminated the RFI problem. I can't attest to RFI from CFL bulbs since I haven't used them in a GDO.

View attachment 209205
I was just going to inquire about these. You beat me to it, thanks !

I have some other crap I'm going to order from Amazon today, so I'm going to take a chance on these. For me a 4-pack is good because I've got 2 openers.

The light flashes are diagnostic codes (or clues). Count the # of flashes and look it up to have an idea where to start.

My low RF interference 1,700 lumen, garage door opener, LED light bulbs arrived a while ago, and I just finished installing them.

I'm happy to report they work beautifully! They are much brighter than the 60 watt incandescent they replaced in both units. The doors operate with both the opener supplied control units. As well as the built in programmable control unit in my Jeep.

I tried them from 300 feet away with no problems opening and closing either door. These only draw 15 watts. This is the link if anyone is interested. (It's the same as the one in my post above).

An LED bulb should only impact closing, when you return home and try to open it the light would have timed out by then.

So every once in awhile my garage opener acts odd and won't close. Sometimes it won't go down at all, other times it goes half way, then back up and the light flashes. Other times all works fine and the sensors are set properly. What gives?
Might be sunlight shining on the sensor, if that happens

Back