Lexus IS?

JHZR2

Staff member
Always liked them, though they are small. Saw a new one on the road today. Don’t see many of them because they’re not teslas or SUVs or hooptys.

The lines are still decent. It’s a real rwd vehicle afaik, which is better than the other faux luxury brands that just repackage the same vehicles.

I’m not really in the market right now, but I’m curious if anyone owns a recent one.

Mother in Law has a relatively recent one as her Florida car. I drive it when we visit and I have heard nothing negative about it from her, which is about as much of a compliment as you could ask for; absolutely painless to own. Not the most engaging drive, but not intended to be. Hard to go wrong w/ Lexus.

Mother in Law has a relatively recent one as her Florida car. I drive it when we visit and I have heard nothing negative about it from her, which is about as much of a compliment as you could ask for; absolutely painless to own. Not the most engaging drive, but not intended to be. Hard to go wrong w/ Lexus.
I thought it was supposed to be one of the more engaging cars? You can get one with a v8 RWD even. Much better than a fancied up Camry based thing.

I thought it was supposed to be one of the more engaging cars? You can get one with a v8 RWD even. Much better than a fancied up Camry based thing.
Her's is not the F or whatever the sportier versions are and I may have a bit of a threshold for 'engaging' :) It rides fine, I don't mind driving it, but I do try and snag my FiL's Audi!

I recently bought a 2023 ES 350. Before buying, I also test drove many different cars, and the IS 350 was one of them (there was no IS 500 on the lot at the time). Both test drives were taken long enough to judge them on some curvy roads as well as a short highway jaunt, then back to the dealership.

Obviously, two very different missions between the ES and IS. I chose the ES because of the room in the cabin as well as the trunk; that's what I needed. It is an extremely competent and supple car which envelops you in a cocoon. To get more room and comfort, you'd have to go WAY up-market. The ES is a relative bargain in terms of ride/size/comfort versus what you'd have to buy in another brand if size and comfort are your primary goals. (Nothing's cheap any more, so "bargain" is a relative term here).

What I "wanted" was the IS 350 F-sport. Really was impressive on the test drive; can't say anything bad whatsoever about how it drives and feels. But if you need trunk or backseat room for adults, look for something else; the back seat is very cramped and the trunk is not suited for long trips with several people. The IS certainly rides well for an older design; taught yet supple. The IS is a very dated design; it goes back about a decade or so with no major revisions other than some minor aesthetic changes and tech screen updates.
- On the plus side, that old chassis is well sorted out; any problems have been long ago addressed.
- On the down side, that chassis is very old, and doesn't have the ability to compete in terms of handling dynamics with the other players in its market class (small RWD sedans from Germany, and the current TLX).
That doesn't mean the IS isn't worthy of consideration. Just realize that the IS won't be the pinnacle of available choices against other brands.

One thing that also pushed my decision to the ES were the F-sport seats; they are tight for a bigger person. I'm not tall, but big in the hips and chest, and I found the F-sport seats to be too confining. If you get the "regular" IS, the seats are more accommodating, but then you're losing all the appeal of the IS chassis (sport sedan handling) that comes with the F-sport performance package. They also offer an F-sport appearance package; whey someone would pay for the looks and not the "go-go" is beyond me ....

Then there's the IS 500. I've not driven one; probably a good thing or I'd then own one, and get into all manner of shenanigans. So someone else will have to comment if they've had experiences with the IS 500, unique to its drivetrain. Plenty of YT videos for that into.

Because I already have a true sports-car (MX-5 ND-2), I didn't need the IS "sport" sedan as much as I just needed a good "sedan", for daily driven stuff and long trips (IN to AZ and back). The ES made more sense for my application. If you want some sport with your sedan, the IS is a very nice vehicle, but just be aware of the compromises it brings to the table.

Always liked them, though they are small. Saw a new one on the road today. Don’t see many of them because they’re not teslas or SUVs or hooptys.

The lines are still decent. It’s a real rwd vehicle afaik, which is better than the other faux luxury brands that just repackage the same vehicles.

I’m not really in the market right now, but I’m curious if anyone owns a recent one.
In signature - no issues other than goes through tires …
(that’s all over the internet) …

A friend of mine used to have a lot of those. He's a car dealer, and for a long while he was flipping the IS350/IS250 cars. He also had lots of more expensive cars, but for his personal car he picked one of those IS350 that he had multiples of. Rear seats are cramped, but we did complete a few trips with 4 adults, wasn't too bad. Around town he rarely got below 23-24MPG and on highway it hovered at 32MPG. At the same time it was a lot of fun to drive, great acceleration for an automatic Toyota. A set of aftermarket mufflers completely changed the perspective from a business to sporty side of things.
At some point he also had a IS250 with a manual transmission, and up to 80MPH it kept up with the automatic IS350.

My Lexus dealer was very generous with loaners during our GS350 CPO period. I got a couple IS loaners; probably my favorite, just too small for me at this time; I felt somewhat cramped coming from the GS. The IS is a great car. Owners love 'em; there's a reason for it.

One thing that also pushed my decision to the ES were the F-sport seats; they are tight for a bigger person. I'm not tall, but big in the hips and chest, and I found the F-sport seats to be too confining.
Wife has the F-sport seats in her NX. I absolutely love how they hug you, but I'm on the smaller side. I can see how they could feel too tight for someone with a larger frame.

My wife’s ‘23 IS350 F-Sport now has nearly 1,000 miles on it. We considered an ES350, and it would have been more practical, but she wanted something more similarly-sized to her previous car (03 Corolla). She liked the sportier styling of the IS, and she doesn’t drive much, so needing premium gasoline wasn’t a big deal. I’m 6’3”/built like a NFL defensive end, and can fit in the front seats if they’re adjusted all the way down. I do like how well-bolstered the seats are. It’s a bit tough getting in and out, and I’m 41. I don’t see that getting any easier in 20 years (if she keeps it as long as the Corolla) and passes the IS to me. What appealed to me about the IS is Toyota quality, Lexus reputation for good customer service, no turbo, no CVT (though some CVTs are okay), port and direct injection, no auto stop/start, and it has a CD player (I’m a very old 41-year-old… I have 8-tracks, vinyl, and reel-to-reel tapes too). I would have loved to at least take a look at the IS500, but no dealership nearby had one on the lot. The price would have probably left me disappointed anyway. $950/month for 60 months is already a tough pill to swallow for someone who has never had a car payment before. The IS350 was one of four on the lot. The vast majority of the inventory were NX and RX models. Overall, we’re both quite pleased with the IS.
IMG_5493.jpeg

These things you buy used primarily because the car's been relatively similar for many years. But that's not to say anything bad about the car. These Lexus products are very high quality and made in Japan. My friend had a 250 in 2006. It was the most comfortable car for the size. The seats at the time were like sitting on pillows. I am not sure if they are the same inside but the comfort rivaled any American car at the time. I think the early 250s were only direct injection, something they mitigated with dual injection.

Lol, no. That's a false assumption. Don't worry, I made the same mistake when we purchased ours (IS350).

They were available in both AWD and RWD format and from someone with extensive time with both BMW 3's and the Lexus IS, the only thing "sporty" about the IS, is it's appearance. Heck, when we had ours they didn't even offer it with a limited slip diff.

Despite having twice the hp of my ancient relic 325is, the IS350 was sorely lacking in all aspects of "performance".
But if you want something reliable, quiet etc., you really can't beat 'em!

If I were in the market for an appliance-type (reliable) commuter again, I'd skip it and go straight to a higher level Camry/Lexus ES.

Last edited:
I have an 08 IS250. Small for its size due to RWD, interior is much smaller than it should have been but if you only need the front seats it is fine. Car seats for kids in the rear would sometimes force the front to go too far forward and uncomfortable (I'm only a 5'9" so if you are taller and have children this may not be the best size for you). Nice little car, some direct injection intake valve problem, quality otherwise is top notch, 28mpg. I think they are very popular among office ladies. The front tires get worn out due to the factory alignment angle (caster or toe) and there is no fixing it. Just make sure you budget for more frequent tire replacement like every 30k on the front. It is a V6 but it is a very powerless V6, so if you want HP and torque get at least the 350.

The IS is a NEAT car, but I found the GS to have more practical interior space. The GS350 (v6) was to me a fast car with very good dynamics. I sold mine - were I to buy another I’d actually consider the 4 cylinder turbo, even though it gets crummy feedback from most aficionados.

The IS is a NEAT car, but I found the GS to have more practical interior space. The GS350 (v6) was to me a fast car with very good dynamics. I sold mine - were I to buy another I’d actually consider the 4 cylinder turbo, even though it gets crummy feedback from most aficionados.
They discontinued the GS, no?

It was always an interesting car to me too. V8, RWD.

Yes, GS was discontinued, but there seem to be decent quantities of used ones available, Carmax gets them. Not as ubiquitous as an accord or Camry, but they are out there. I’d have another…

id get the 500 just to enjoy the last of the 2ur v8s. If you have a chance to drive one, youll instantly fall in love.

I think IS is a missed opportunity for Lexus. The first generation was a good start. And then they chickened out. It doesn’t help that Lexus dealership is not known for conversation among customers about careers, but more about prostate issues.
2nd generation sealed the deal. I never figured what they wanted to do? Steal customers from BMW? They could if they did this:
1. Kept stick shift. IMO now, that would be big deal. Not specifically sales-wise, but even people buying with automatic would be a bit more excited that their vehicle could be that analog.
2. The engine should be sitting more to the back. It hangs in front, and that was always a major complaint, that it is RWD but loves to understeer. That was a problem on older IS-F, though polyurethane bushings in the front control arm did help.
3. To me, it is really telling that the vehicle has a battery under the hood. If a claim is that it is a competition with the 3 series, then they are supposed to shovel that, preferably under the front or back seat, more likely in the trunk. 3 series in some models had weight distribution 49/51%, while IS is almost 55% in front.

I personally like the car the way it looks. The manual gearbox available, including IS-F, and some tweaks around weight distribution (they won't move the engine now on this platform) could make this car very attractive to buyers who want a longitudinal engine, RWD, and stick. I would give serious thought. V8 and stick? All car channels would talk about it. And it would help sale of every other model. That is why BMW has M.

Back