Lexus: any years/models to avoid?

I know the IS250 is bad, and that the dashes from around 2007-2008 tend to decompose in the sun. Any other years/models to avoid?

I would just buy a Toyota and forget about the Lexus brand. Kind of like Honda vs Acura. All you end up doing is paying extra for maintenance and parts. If you bought a brand new one it would be a different story. Honda's and Acura's are great however whomever buys them after the warranty or 150,000 miles gets to pay the high replacement part game.

^^^. Maybe, depending on what you want. An early IS in a manual would be a fun car, a RWD Corolla basically. That’s worthy. The GS is more of a RWD Camry with a high-strung V6, also unique, but no manual. I’d own another GS with no complaining. Lexus ES to Toyota solara - maybe if the sound deadening are different?

- LS460: lots of cool (but somehow already outdated) technology that loves to die constantly. Especially stay away from the LS600h. 5.0L hybrid, lots of electrical issues.
- CT200h and HS250h: supposedly a premium Prius, BUT idk what happened along the way, but both are known for electrical gremlins and head gasket issues.

Aside from those you should be more than OK with other Lexus models. No car is trouble-free, but these tend to be as close to trouble-free as possible. Lexus GS430 or GX460 are what's on my radar. And of course I won't let an LX570 slide away, if the price is right.

LS460 😬 Unless you work on them yourself.

I work on my LS430 myself, but I have a feeling any LS460 would be a lot harder. Plus if I'm not mistaken, 2007-2008 reliability fell off a cliff....again, I always felt, if you're going to have BMW type repairs, then drive a BMW. At least it's fun to drive

And don't get me wrong, there are times when driving a mattress on the expressway is relaxing. Like going home from the office.
:giggle:

I'm in the process of purchasing a low miles '15 RC F. I read good things about the 5L v8. Always wanted a sports car with serious HP.

As far as I know, the 250 models had issues with the 2.5 V6 only having direct injection without port injection as well. The little hybrids had head gasket and engine issues too.
Hybrids are automatically out of consideration for me.

I would just buy a Toyota and forget about the Lexus brand. Kind of like Honda vs Acura. All you end up doing is paying extra for maintenance and parts. If you bought a brand new one it would be a different story. Honda's and Acura's are great however whomever buys them after the warranty or 150,000 miles gets to pay the high replacement part game.
That is absolutely not the case.
Lexus has a bigger separation from Toyota. ES models? Yes, glorified Camry. My in-laws have a 2011 ES350, and it suits them.
However, IS, GS and LS are proper vehicles. Properly positioned engine, different suspensions, simply they are built to compete with MB, Audi and BMW. They don't have attention to details as German vehicles (for example IS has battery under the hood, which is absolute NO for vehicle that strives to compete with 3 series) but they ain't just glorified Camry.

On the toyota vs lexus note, our Venza is pretty rattly and harsh. The extra sound deadening and better (rear) suspension of an Rx350 is notable.

That is absolutely not the case.
Lexus has a bigger separation from Toyota. ES models? Yes, glorified Camry. My in-laws have a 2011 ES350, and it suits them.
However, IS, GS and LS are proper vehicles. Properly positioned engine, different suspensions, simply they are built to compete with MB, Audi and BMW. They don't have attention to details as German vehicles (for example IS has battery under the hood, which is absolute NO for vehicle that strives to compete with 3 series) but they ain't just glorified Camry.
Yeah the 2006 LS has the battery rearward on the passenger firewall side. I’m very careful to replace the plastic sleeve. Didn’t do that on the Maxima and gassing corroded the fender. Even my wife’s GM SUV put the battery under the rear passenger’s feet. Japanese should go the extra step. They don’t always think all the way through, such as having a rain sensor for the wipers and eliminating intermittent. Germans have both.

Maybe it’s just me but I do consider Lexus to be the top marque for Japan. My recommendation is to drive the one you are interested in. There are models which don’t have any steering feel whatsoever. I get it many like that today so that’s fine…

Yeah the 2006 LS has the battery rearward on the passenger firewall side. I’m very careful to replace the plastic sleeve. Didn’t do that on the Maxima and gassing corroded the fender. Even my wife’s GM SUV put the battery under the rear passenger’s feet. Japanese should go the extra step. They don’t always think all the way through, such as having a rain sensor for the wipers and eliminating intermittent. Germans have both.

Maybe it’s just me but I do consider Lexus to be the top marque for Japan. My recommendation is to drive the one you are interested in. There are models which don’t have any steering feel whatsoever. I get it many like that today so that’s fine…
They don't. Numerous missed opportunities to have an absolute winner, including the current IS500.

They don't. Numerous missed opportunities to have an absolute winner, including the current IS500.
Not quite sure what happened to my font 😂

But the lack of intermittent and rain sense only, is worse than having just intermittent. When the car is not warmed and the glass fogs, the rain sensor acts up, and wipers are going fast. Now the wiping needs to be handled manually, on and off, by hand. The BMW has a intermittent in addition to rain sense.

Get yourself GS, I had one for years gs 350 , now my daughter inherited that car 😁.
The way it feels and drives it makes me think, that quite possibly my grandkinds will learn how to drive on this car 😂

I might even one day, get my self older GS430 again

As far as I know, the 250 models had issues with the 2.5 V6 only having direct injection without port injection as well. The little hybrids had head gasket and engine issues too.
It has some DI deposit issue that Lexus issued TSB for owners to bring back for ring and piston replacements. Most of them are replaced now and that basically postponed the problem from reoccurring again. The rest of the car is fine other than being tiny on the inside. It is a quality little car, and if you like it you can still just bring it to someone to do walnut shell blasting on the intake valves once every 60-80k or so.

The front tires get inner shoulder wears very fast, like every 30k if you use the long lasting tires. It is likely due to the caster from the factory and nothing can improve it. Again, depends on how much you drive it it may not be a big deal. Those tires are like $110 ea and not too expensive.

Overall a nice little car for someone who doesn't need the space. It has depreciated a lot by now and is a good deal if you fit the usage. I would buy it again.

It has some DI deposit issue that Lexus issued TSB for owners to bring back for ring and piston replacements. Most of them are replaced now and that basically postponed the problem from reoccurring again. The rest of the car is fine other than being tiny on the inside. It is a quality little car, and if you like it you can still just bring it to someone to do walnut shell blasting on the intake valves once every 60-80k or so.

The front tires get inner shoulder wears very fast, like every 30k if you use the long lasting tires. It is likely due to the caster from the factory and nothing can improve it. Again, depends on how much you drive it it may not be a big deal. Those tires are like $110 ea and not too expensive.

Overall a nice little car for someone who doesn't need the space. It has depreciated a lot by now and is a good deal if you fit the usage. I would buy it again.
I liked the one that Hoovie picked up years ago on YouTube with a 5 speed, a ‘93 ES300.

Check out the frameless glass….

Back