Less likely to lose oil: 5w20 with noack around 8% or 5w30 with noack around 14%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the engine, how the car is driven and oil. Some oils with high NOACK numbers may not lose as much in the real world. What base oils are being used and what kind of VIIs are being used?

I'm using Idemitsu's 0W-20 in a friend's Subaru. That particular engine(FB25) is known for oil consumption. With a off-the-shelf 0W-20 oil, the car would use a quart of oil around 3.5-4K. I couldn't find the NOACK number for PP 0W-20 which was the last fill before the Idemitsu. On the Idemitsu, the car barely used any oil, the dipstick was down to 5/8th-2/3rds of a quart when I drained it. The car is short-tripped a lot with a weekly 60-100 mile highway trip. I have Havoline ProDS 5W-30 in a Nissan with a high(12.4% IIRC) NOACK value but it still meets D1G2 specs. I plan on checking the oil on that soon.

I think it was here or in a trade paper that the Japanese and maybe the Europeans like using PMMA or polyacrylate-based VIIs that provide better viscokinetic properties than traditional polyolefin VIIs but at the risk of higher volatility or deposits. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Japanese, as Honda introduced 0W-20 oil in the 1st gen Insight/Civic Hybrid and Idemitsu works with all the Japanese OEMs.

Originally Posted by Whammo
I am losing a quart every 2000mi at the minimum. The reason I ask this strange question is because it seems 5w20 oils usually have a much lower noack than 5w30 ones. I use conventional or blend because the OCI is short enough that I would be wasting good synthetic. I have heard that a thicker oil would help consumption over a thinner oil but have also heard that a low noack helps as well.

I was having about the same oil consumption as you in my '05 Ranger using 5w-20 which it was spec'd for. Ran this way for many years. About 2 years ago I went to 5w-30 and consumption is immeasurable. All with synthetic. Never gave Noack a thought.

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Or just get a 5w30 with a low NOACK...

Yep, Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 (not the Dexos stuff) carries MB 229.5 so it's Noack must be below 10%. It also has a HTHS = 3.6 cP, KV100 = 12.0 cSt plus lots of TBN and ZDDP.

OP, does your climate/ owners manual allow you to use a 10W30 ? That's what I would consider.

Originally Posted by SR5

Yep, Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 (not the Dexos stuff) carries MB 229.5 so it's Noack must be below 10%. It also has a HTHS = 3.6 cP, KV100 = 12.0 cSt plus lots of TBN and ZDDP.

Just thinking, for a DI car what you probably want is Castrol Edge 5W30 LL which the ACEA C3 mid-SAPS version of that oil.

I know you can get the Edge A3/B4 in North America as some here have seen/used it, not too sure about Edge LL C3. Just thinking out loud.

Specs
ACEA C3
MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
Porsche C30
VW 504 00/ 507 00

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back