Left Front End lower than Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
That is right replacing shocks in pairs but the right one is not broke, it barely has 50K on it. I replaced the left since it was acting funny.

Now, I don't have that kind of money to spend to replace the entire front end, spring and struts not knowing what could be the problem.

I may get the Lexus tech to understand the problem.

Springs rarely go bad, never ever had to replace springs.

So if the right shock has 50k miles on it, lets say it absorbs 100 road shocks per mile. 100 x 50,000 = 5,000,000. So the right shock has been cycled ~5 million times while the left shock is brand new and has been cycled 0 times. Come on, replace in pairs.

Replacing 1 shock, 2 strut mounts and 2 springs yourself will probably be cheaper than just asking a "Lexus tech" what is wrong, especially if you let him/her fix whatever they think is wrong with it.

Springs start wearing out, deforming, and getting shorter from the moment they are put in service. Your 50,000 mile springs are probably considerably weaker and maybe even noticeably shorter than identical new ones.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Your 50,000 mile springs are probably considerably weaker and maybe even noticeably shorter than identical new ones.

Disagree! Springs don't go bad.

Your 50,000 mile springs are probably considerably weaker and maybe even noticeably shorter than identical new ones.

That's the most ridiculous post in a long time. No point in posting in this thread anymore.

If you have a bad shock on one end, the corresponding spring will go bad rather quickly since it will see more fatigue cycles. A spring will eventually fail, just like if you bent a paper clip back and forth enough times.

They indeed do wear over time. They typically sag. Some applications hold up better than others. Applies to both leafs and coils. Though not as common, coils can and do snap.

It's more observable in vehicles that are worked harder. Consider the f250- it's a common complaint from owners that frequently tow or work the truck, note that after they start hitting 100-150k, the beds are a little low. Plenty others out there too.

OK, I will back off from my post that springs don't fail to springs haven't failed thus far on my vehicles.

Having said that, the shock was not shot, it wasn't bouncing on the springs. It was clunking and when I realized it was lower, the first thing that comes to anyones mind is the shock, which I replaced. That off course didn't help and IMO the spring was not put through a completely failed shock.

I will have to take it to the dealership, I am thinking it is a failed ball joint or a side motor mount. It possibly cannot be a bent frame since it started recently, if it were bent from the fender bender, it would have shown up years ago.

Broken-spring2971.jpg

brokenspring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back