2002 Silverado 5.3L Power Steering Pump/Rack & Pinion-Shake/vibration after replacing

Own a 2002 Silverado 5.3L

Just replaced the Power Steering Pump and Rack & Pinion.

While front end up on jack stands, I filled the power steering pump before starting truck with the intention to bleed the air out.

After starting the truck (engine), I noticed that the power steering fluid immediately was sucked in and the fluid level in the pump dropped significantly. I turned the engine off right away and added more power steering fluid. After adding more fluid, I noticed foam traveling up the pumps neck. I waited to see if the fluid and foam would drop but it never dropped. I then started the truck again to see what might happen and continued bleeding air by turning the front wheels left and right. Again, bleeding while front wheels off the ground. This is when I began to notice excess shaking and vibration and it would not stop. Turned off the truck, checked the fluid level and the fluid was at the same level. Continued to try to figure out what might be causing the issue. Air bubbles in the lines?

While the engine was off, I had my neighbor turn the steering wheel left and right while I checked on the fluid level. I noticed that the fluid level went up and down. We started the truck again and there was no shaking but when the steering was turned to the right, it started to violently shake and this time continued to shake and vibrate while turning the wheel to any direction. Turned off the engine.

I have replaced 3 power steering racks and pumps in that last 3 years and have had zero issues. The only thing that I did different (wrong) this time around was that I turned the engine on to bleed the air out and did NOT try to bleed the air out while the engine was off first.

Is the shaking/vibration being caused by air in the lines or is the pump damaged?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I dunno, I've never even tried with engine off because it often just pukes fluid. I fill, start for a few seconds, then shut down and fill more. Perhaps one more time, then allow it to stay running and check level, turn wheels, check level, repeat

Basically I'm not convinced you did anything wrong unless you initially let it run low long enough to burn up pump.

I'd keep bleeding. Otherwise I think you have a bad component-- most likely pump but I suppose there could be a restriction in the rack

I vacuum bleed the system through the cap with this Mityvac adaptor, just turning the wheels won't get it all.

31iQutKJ+LL._AC_.jpg

Sometimes letting one sit overnight with the filler cap loose will allow air bubbles to rise and dissipate.

I think the pump is shot.

Going to try to bleed the system some more while the engine is off and if it doesn't improve, going to have to replace the pump. I still feel I should have bled the system (power steering system) first while the engine was off.

Ordered a new pump.

Bled power steering system again and did not see any improvement.

Will stick to the bleed method from before. Add fluid, front wheels up on the air, turn steering left and right, check fluid level, add more fluid accordingly.

What is shaking/vibrating? The steering wheel? The engine?
Was out of town and now reading the replies.

To recap, the steering wheel would vibrate violently when I would turn the steering wheel too fast while trying to bleed and with the engine on. Ordered another pump.

Installed new pump and flushed whatever fluid was in the rack and cooler. BLED system like I had done before, wheels in the air, engine turned off, and turn steering wheel left and right while monitoring the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir.

Drove the truck to get a wheel aligment (at Firesxxxx) and then drove off to test their work. Got on the freeway and noticed that the steering wheel was not centered while driving straight on the freeway. The truck was also pulling slightly to the right. Drove back to Fxxxstone and explained to them what was going on.

Different tech was assigned to my truck, put it on the lift, and began to make the adjustments without first driving the truck. When he finished making the adjustments, he drove off the lot to go test his own work. The tech came back puzzled and said that when he drove off the parking lot and made a right to get on to the street, he noticed that the steering wheel did not go back to center, instead the steering wheel was way off center. He then jumped on the freeway and after driving for a good 1/4 mile he noticed that the steering wheel went back to center. He didn't know what was causing this. I never noticed what the tech noticed when first had test driven the truck. My complaint was about the steering wheel not returning to the center and the truck pulling to the right while driving on the freeway.

I left Firexxxxx and it was then that I noticed what the tech was talking about. The steering wheel does not behave the way it should. Sometimes the steering wheel stays centered but for sure, if you make any sharp right turns and then correct the steering to drive straight, the steering wheel does not return to its center position. Do I have a bad rack and pinion? FYI, I lifted the front end of my truck again and proceeded to turn the steering wheel left and right and there is no vibration. My new issue is that the steering wheel sometimes does not go back (return) to the center position after making turns.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

My complaint was about the steering wheel not returning to the center and the truck pulling to the right while driving on the freeway.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

Wanted to EDIT my last post but for some reason, I'm not able to anymore.

Just wanted to clarify that my original complaint to the alignment shop, after the first test drive by me, was that the steering wheel was not centered and the truck pulled to the right. I mistakenly indicated in my last post that my original complaint was that the steering wheel did not go back to the center position.

I might just drive my truck back to the alignment shop (Firesxxxx) and ask them to put it back on the lift. Is it possible that the shop rushed the second alignment?

Honestly I'm confused on terminology.

Are you saying there is sometimes no return to center, ie you must steer the truck back straight?

Or are you saying that while driving straight the wheel is sometimes, say, 30 degrees left, then straight and level after completing another turn, then 30 degrees right after completing another turn?

The vehicle returns to center
Honestly I'm confused on terminology.

Are you saying there is sometimes no return to center, ie you must steer the truck back straight?

Or are you saying that while driving straight the wheel is sometimes, say, 30 degrees left, then straight and level after completing another turn, then 30 degrees right after completing another turn?

The truck returns to center but the steering wheel remains off center. Thee steering wheel remains off center until you turn the wheel sharply in the opposite direction (usually left), then the steering wheel does go pack to its center position after straightening the car down the road. And if you make a sharp right out of a parking lot again, and you turn the wheel to straighten out the car in the direction you are travelling (straight down the roar), the steering wheel does not go back to its center position and instead is remains off center again.

I got one worn ball joint that moves a little so I'm going to replace both then going to check to see if the problem persists. I'm going to go ahead and replace the wheel bearing/ hub assemblies while I'm at it. I have a feeling the Rack & Pinion is the culprit.

I got one worn ball joint that moves a little so I'm going to replace both then going to check to see if the problem persists. I'm going to go ahead and replace the wheel bearing/ hub assemblies while I'm at it. I have a feeling the Rack & Pinion is the culprit.
So you should have a direct mechanical connection from steering wheel to front wheels.

If the steering wheel is in different positions when driving straight, this is odd.

Do these have a rag joint in steering shaft? If not, I almost wonder if the rack is somehow skipping teeth? I don't even know if this is possible?

So you should have a direct mechanical connection from steering wheel to front wheels.

If the steering wheel is in different positions when driving straight, this is odd.

Do these have a rag joint in steering shaft? If not, I almost wonder if the rack is somehow skipping teeth? I don't even know if this is possible?
My truck has a steering shaft that drops right into the rack and pinion. I think rag joints have splines and I don't see any splines on the steering shaft.

Reactions: D60
Back