Largest Filter for a Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 88 toyota pickup with an R22 engine. What is the largest easiest available filter that will fit on my engine. There's plenty of room for a larger filter down there. I'd like to know what vehicle the larger filter would normally be speced for so that I can look it up for various filter manufacturers

I too at one time felt that bigger was better.Than one day
I dropped by Toyota and they were out of the big LC filters,I
got a small one instead.I than had less rattle on start up and much faster oil pressure.They both had the Toyota anti drain back.With the big filter(held over a quart)the truck
still had to fill the top hafe of the filter(over 1/2 a quart)
this time lag was enough to hear rod knock and chain
rattle for about a sec.From this point on,I've used the smaller sized filter(90915-20004or20003).

fruit.gif

Pappy, from a Toyota 4x4 forum, wrote this:

There have been several filters used on the R-series motors over the years. The original filter, 15601-44011, was available up until the late 80's. It was a rather large filter, similar in size to the Fram PH8A. In the fall of 1988 a compact filter was introduced, 90915-03002. This, like the previous, was a Denso/Japan filter and later superseded the 15601-44011 filter (though a website sent to me today suggests it's still available, need to check). Sometime in the 90's 90915-03002 was superseded by the Puralator/USA filter we find available today, 08922-02011, at least in the USA. I say that because outside the USA another filter is used, 90915-YZZB9, another Denso/Japan filter. Unlike the USA filter which has a pleated paper element the YZZB9 filter has a resin element. Also used on the RET motors in 1986-87 was filter 15600-25010. This filter was the same diameter as the 15601-44011 filter, but shorter. Why? Because the RET motors have an oil cooler that sits under the filter and apparently the additional height caused a problem. I believe this filter is still available.

Ok, lets play in the mud. The original Land Cruiser filter used on F-series motors, which is still available, is 15600-41010. This is a huge filter that happens to fit 20/22R-series motors (NOT 2RZ or 3RZ Taco motors). This filter was somewhat superseded by a compact filter with, I believe, the introduction of the Tundra/LC V8 motors, 90915-YZZB5 (though every LC owner I know refuses to run this puny filter on their trucks). This filter is just a tad larger than the YZZB9 Taco filter. Both of these are Denso/Japan resin filters. Recently another filter has hit the USA. As best as I can tell it's used, again, overseas. It's 90915-20004. I don't feel rich enough right now to cut this filter open and compare to my YZZB5, but I can tell you some differences.

First, it's about the same diameter as the YZZB5, but .15" taller. Looking inside I saw something I didn't see in the YZZB5 filter. That's a pressure bypass valve! This valve opens in the event that the filter becomes too clogged to pass oil through the element. It's also used when cold oil has a problem passing through the element. Not really a problem in the USA where most folks are anal about changing oil, drive mostly on pavement, and run thinner oils. But always a nice thing to have for those of us that get dirty occasionally. I know Wix filters have it, but need to check the USA mini-truck filter. According to Toyota propaganda, all of their filters have the bypass valve, yet I can tell you without doubt the YZZB5 does not and have the pics to prove it. Note that I haven't checked the YZZB9 Taco filter.

So, what is the debate? The question is, should we all be happy with the paper element, made in the USA, filter? Or should we look for better options within the Toyota family? And then, which size? Obviously, running a larger filter will allow us to run more oil in the motor. That's good. It also would give us more filter media to protect our motors. That's good too. But is it really necessary when we run synthetic oils with 5K oil changes (or dino on 3K). Is there really an advantage? I really can't answer that, but frankly I would rather give my motors the best possibly protection I can. Over kill? Over engineering? Ya, probably, but so what!

I've been running the YZZB9 Taco filter for some time now, largely because I feel the USA filter is adequate. I just ran out so I can't check for the bypass valve, so I need to do that.

My personal feeling right now is the 90915-20004 LC filter is the best all-round option. Between this filter's slightly larger size, the resin element, and the bypass valve, I think it's the best on the Toyota shelf. But you are going to pay dearly as it lists at $9.62. The YZZB5 filter lists at $5.41. The USA mini-truck filter lists at $4.91 while the Denso mini is $7.34. For comparison the giant LC filter is $12.33 (ouch). Obviously, if you buy from a discount dealer like many of us do you can do better, but it still can sting. All prices are the "last I checked."

Check in "Favorite Links" section for the link to a dealer for discount OEM parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back