L83 AFM Delete

It's just some light scarring, Likely from debris. I wouldn't worry about it.

Change the oil often & use a 30 weight to keep your new cam & lifters happy.
So don’t run the rec oil?Are you recommending like 5-30 that the older vortec ran?

How are you handling the Tune/Calibration? That's likely the reason not many shops do AFM deletes
It already had the afm disabled via hp tuners.I didn’t think from what i read i needed to tune this cam but if so i have a guy handy that does a lot of diesel tuning and has hp tuners.Will i need to change some parameters for this to run right as i just ordered everything today and the L8T was what i ordered for a cam .Never been involved with tuning anything besides hooking up bullydogs in our duramaxs.If it needs tuned what’s the procedure?

The L8T cam doesn't require any more than disabling AFM. Do you have the HP Tuners interface that was used to tune the ECM?

Transmission/TCC tuning is highly recommended on K2xx 6L80E's. I offer bench tuning on T43 TECHM's (Shipping me the TECHM & Valve Body)

The L8T cam doesn't require any more than disabling AFM. Do you have the HP Tuners interface that was used to tune the ECM?

Transmission/TCC tuning is highly recommended on K2xx 6L80E's. I offer bench tuning on T43 TECHM's (Shipping me the TECHM & Valve Body)
The guy who disabled the afm used HP tuners and he said he used interface MPVl3 according to the guy i bought the truck from.I know nothing about HP Tuners so how does the process work if you wanted to get things fine tuned better?I have read that there are several different injectors used and i wondered if things might be off as the truck is a 14 and the motor and injectors from a 16.This motor broke a valve spring and he replaced them with ones that have a green stripe.Didn't the 5.3 come with yellow striped ones?

Last edited:
From service information....

"When fuel rails are assembled at the supplier, the injector installed in the fuel rail can be nominal, low or high flow injectors. This is done to try and get an even balance or flow across the fuel rail"

Sounds like the injectors are balanced to the fuel rail.

From service information....

"When fuel rails are assembled at the supplier, the injector installed in the fuel rail can be nominal, low or high flow injectors. This is done to try and get an even balance or flow across the fuel rail"

Sounds like the injectors are balanced to the fuel rail.
So if a different flow rate injector is put in it can affect the ratio .Might explain why my combustion chambers look a little different in a couple holes.

Well crap the first of my parts came in which was the Arp header bolts 134-1102 and they are 3/8 and i need metric so now i need to find something in metric.Guess my first of wasted money on this.Oops guess i’m okay the 3/8 flange threw me off lol.

Last edited:
Well crap the first of my parts came in which was the Arp header bolts 134-1102 and they are 3/8 and i need metric so now i need to find something in metric.Guess my first of wasted money on this.
Road trip to texas?

Whats the recommended process to finish prepping the aluminum block and heads for gaskets.Got everything cleaned up mostly but that final little bit of grey from the previous gaskets is still there even though it cant be felt hardly.I've took my time when i had it and would like as good of a job as possible.Found a GM parts place here in Canada called GM Parts Depot that ships free over $100 and man there prices are really good.Ordered some stuff Tuesday and arriving today(Thursday).The only downside is they hold the order until everything is in so i only took what they had on hand and ordered the rest at my local dealer who still gave me 20% off msrp so i'm not complaining.Watch your pennies and the dollar will look after itself lol.I have a shop account at a local Napa but man i cant believe how prices vary.Ex and canadian funds a duramax Spectra premium lower oil pan Carquest 280 no account,Napa 220 shop account,Amazon 125 all before taxes on the same part number like holy crap!

I have a 2014 sierra L83 with a stuck lifter and it was disabled.Bought on a monday and collapsed on friday.This will haul the camper some so i dont want no high stall converter.Wondering what the L8T cam works like in a afm delete compared to the stock afm cam as in low rpm range .Does it give any performance bump at all and how is the fuel mileage?Looking for help in a parts list such as oil pump,lifters,pushrods ect.I dont want to spend more than i need but i want to do it right and once only.I read so much conflicting info on whether to use the high volume or low volume oil pump!
i still have my old 84 sierra that i bought 32 years ago and 05 sierra nevada so i dont sell anything and run them forever lol.Would like real world advice and not something that someone read online.Thanks for any help!
I have a 2014 sierra L83 with a stuck lifter and it was disabled.Bought on a monday and collapsed on friday.This will haul the camper some so i dont want no high stall converter.Wondering what the L8T cam works like in a afm delete compared to the stock afm cam as in low rpm range .Does it give any performance bump at all and how is the fuel mileage?Looking for help in a parts list such as oil pump,lifters,pushrods ect.I dont want to spend more than i need but i want to do it right and once only.The guy i bought this from had changed motors 6 months prior and if he had fixed what he had i wouldnt be here now.I read so much conflicting info on whether to use the high volume or low volume oil pump!
i still have my old 84 sierra that i bought 32 years ago and 05 sierra nevada so i dont sell anything and run them forever lol.Would like real world advice and not something that someone read online.Thanks for any help!
Talked to the guy today who put this motor in before me and i guess he didn’t have much to work with as original motor took number 8 piston,rod,crank and really shagged the motor.Therefore he gambled on a used and well we know how that went lol

Whats the recommended process to finish prepping the aluminum block and heads for gaskets.Got everything cleaned up mostly but that final little bit of grey from the previous gaskets is still there even though it cant be felt hardly. I've took my time when i had it and would like as good of a job as possible.

There will be staining on the deck surfaces, Nothing you can do about it short of have the surfaces machines. The last thing you want to do is use abrasive pads!

I carefully use razor blades.

SBo5G8T.jpg

yVlWkDF.jpg

There will be staining on the deck surfaces, Nothing you can do about it short of have the surfaces machines. The last thing you want to do is use abrasive pads!

I carefully use razor blades.

SBo5G8T.jpg

yVlWkDF.jpg
Other than blocking the towers do you do any mods to the vlom or just bolt it on?I changed the vlom filter and while in there i wondered what happens to the oil pressure that still goes to the solenoids?Also i assume you still plug the vlom in so the computer recognizes it.

Oil pressure is still applied to the solenoids if reusing the VLOM, No modifications to the VLOM. I plug it back in but turn off the AFM Solenoid DTC's via HP-Tuners.

L8T valley covers are readily available now.

Oil pressure is still applied to the solenoids if reusing the VLOM, No modifications to the VLOM. I plug it back in but turn off the AFM Solenoid DTC's via HP-Tuners.

Thanks

Putting my caddy lifters in and i have one that’s tight and hangs up a bit when you put it in regardless of which hole.Almost like it’s the end by the roller as it slides nice once it’s in by the lifter bore.I don’t see any imperfections!Ideas!

Back