L83 AFM Delete

I have a 2014 sierra L83 with a stuck lifter and it was disabled.Bought on a monday and collapsed on friday.This will haul the camper some so i dont want no high stall converter.Wondering what the L8T cam works like in a afm delete compared to the stock afm cam as in low rpm range .Does it give any performance bump at all and how is the fuel mileage?Looking for help in a parts list such as oil pump,lifters,pushrods ect.I dont want to spend more than i need but i want to do it right and once only.The guy i bought this from had changed motors 6 months prior and if he had fixed what he had i wouldnt be here now.I read so much conflicting info on whether to use the high volume or low volume oil pump!
i still have my old 84 sierra that i bought 32 years ago and 05 sierra nevada so i dont sell anything and run them forever lol.Would like real world advice and not something that someone read online.Thanks for any help!

Texas Speed and Performance or Summit racing is who some guys use on the truck boards. There are probably others.

I have a 2014 sierra L83 with a stuck lifter and it was disabled.Bought on a monday and collapsed on friday.This will haul the camper some so i dont want no high stall converter.Wondering what the L8T cam works like in a afm delete compared to the stock afm cam as in low rpm range .Does it give any performance bump at all and how is the fuel mileage?Looking for help in a parts list such as oil pump,lifters,pushrods ect.I dont want to spend more than i need but i want to do it right and once only.The guy i bought this from had changed motors 6 months prior and if he had fixed what he had i wouldnt be here now.I read so much conflicting info on whether to use the high volume or low volume oil pump!
i still have my old 84 sierra that i bought 32 years ago and 05 sierra nevada so i dont sell anything and run them forever lol.Would like real world advice and not something that someone read online.Thanks for any help!
Do you have the Specs on both Cams you are talking about?

BTR, makes some good stuff, no need for a converter.
I am running the BTR stage 6.0 engine in the Caprice. Made 400 and 400 to the wheels with stock converter. The truck one is comparable, will be easy to drive with no converter.

BTR, makes some good stuff, no need for a converter.
I am running the BTR stage 6.0 engine in the Caprice. Made 400 and 400 to the wheels with stock converter. The truck one is comparable, will be easy to drive with no converter.

Do you have the Specs on both Cams you are talking about?
The GM L8T cam was int duration 193 exh 199 with lift int 502 exh 494 lsa of 114.The BTR stage 1 was int dur 203 exh 210 both valves .540 lift with a lsa of 112.I can't find the factory L83 cam specs to compare the L8T cam to.

Have a look at Mr.Clinebarger’s posting under “Similar Threads” below this thread at the bottom of your display.
I have and actually his posts is what drew me to this site.He seems to have vast knowledge on these and i'm hoping for him to chime in with his experience.His posts seem to reflect that he has experience with several set ups which is what i'm looking for.When i ask any local guys that work on these i only get there experience using the same factory crap that caused this.

I have and actually his posts is what drew me to this site.He seems to have vast knowledge on these and i'm hoping for him to chime in with his experience.His posts seem to reflect that he has experience with several set ups which is what i'm looking for.When i ask any local guys that work on these i only get there experience using the same factory crap that caused this.
Yeah, don't put the crap back in. I get rid of it in the Caprice and helped a buddy get rid of it in 2014 L83. He went with a bigger cam and stall. You may not want it, but I think you need it. :D :)

The GM L8T cam was int duration 193 exh 199 with lift int 502 exh 494 lsa of 114.The BTR stage 1 was int dur 203 exh 210 both valves .540 lift with a lsa of 112.I can't find the factory L83 cam specs to compare the L8T cam to.
The stage one will give you a nice power upgrade and from I can does not cause drivability issues, but you are running a 6L80E. Has the converter been done?

This what I run in the Caprice.
217/23X, .619/.607, 114 LSA
Trans Am is
225/232 .592/.592, 112 LSA (close to that, I know the lift is correct. I put the cam in in 2007ish.)

L8T 12672469 is a good stock AFM delete camshaft for a L83, And it's cheap.

I recommend......
GM Performance parts bowtie lifters part# 88958689
Lifter Trays part# 12595365
Head Gaskets (2) part# 12622325
Cam Bolt/VVT Actuator Bolt part# 12681018
Balancer Bolt part# 11547372
Bearing part# LM603049 that you will cut apart & use 8 of the rollers to plug the AFM passages in the block.

Head Bolts....They're sold individually by GM.
You will need 19 part# 11546959 & One part# 11611976.
Texas Speed & BTR sell head bolt kits using GM bolts.

ARP header/manifold bolts part# 134-1102

The stage one will give you a nice power upgrade and from I can does not cause drivability issues, but you are running a 6L80E. Has the converter been done?
Not sure i know the transmission was rebuilt under warranty but i'm unsure if they changed it at the time.

I recommend......
Bearing part# LM603049 that you will cut apart & use 8 of the rollers to plug the AFM passages in the block.

Does the L8T give any increase at all in power over stock?I'm not commited to this cam as my parts list isn't going to be cheapI dont see much online for a cam that is designed for towing.I just want the torque down low as it will be towing my camper some and its frigging heavy lol.Will my stock pushrods work with L8T?The motor has about 160000 km's on it so i want to put a new oil pump on while i'm in there so a recommendation for it would be great also.This motor is the second one for this truck and it was an engine gm changed out as it broke a valve spring and the tech picked it up cheap and fixed it.I have no idea if he changed them all or just the one so i'm half thinking i should change them out for piece of mind.The manifold stud recommendation is a for sure thing.This had new studs installed last year and the head was popped off the pass side rear so its definately getting ARP.I appreciate your time to help me as none of my local mechanic friends are knowledgable on these deletes.

I recommend......

Pulled these lifters out and wondered if this was normal wear from a 100000 to 150000 mile engine on the roller tips or do i have something else going on.

Don’t think it went first time i’m kinda illiterate on tech stuff lol.

CC21C19E-339E-4877-91C3-46A7DE55316F.jpeg

Pulled these lifters out and wondered if this was normal wear from a 100000 to 150000 mile engine on the roller tips or do i have something else going on.

It's just some light scarring, Likely from debris. I wouldn't worry about it.

Change the oil often & use a 30 weight to keep your new cam & lifters happy.

Does the L8T give any increase at all in power over stock?I'm not commited to this cam as my parts list isn't going to be cheapI dont see much online for a cam that is designed for towing.I just want the torque down low as it will be towing my camper some and its frigging heavy lol.Will my stock pushrods work with L8T?The motor has about 160000 km's on it so i want to put a new oil pump on while i'm in there so a recommendation for it would be great also.This motor is the second one for this truck and it was an engine gm changed out as it broke a valve spring and the tech picked it up cheap and fixed it.I have no idea if he changed them all or just the one so i'm half thinking i should change them out for piece of mind.The manifold stud recommendation is a for sure thing.This had new studs installed last year and the head was popped off the pass side rear so its definately getting ARP.I appreciate your time to help me as none of my local mechanic friends are knowledgable on these deletes.

Uses the same push rods.

A new GM oil pump is a good idea as the volume solenoids do fail, Part# 12686433.

New Valve springs are good insurance, I'd run BTR part# BTR91120-16.

I saw your PM.....Just install a new VLOM thimble filter, Even though the AFM solenoids no longer function....Nothing wrong with keeping debris out of the oil pressure sensor, But you can just remove it if you want. VLOM filter part# 12623757.

Uses the same push rods.

A new GM oil pump is a good idea as the volume solenoids do fail, Part# 12686433.

New Valve springs are good insurance, I'd run BTR part# BTR91120-16.

I saw your PM.....Just install a new VLOM thimble filter, Even though the AFM solenoids no longer function....Nothing wrong with keeping debris out of the oil pressure sensor, But you can just remove it if you want. VLOM filter part# 12623757.
I appreciate your help thanks ,now to get my parts ordered this morning.Hopefully i don’t have to bend over to hard at our dealer.

Back