KYB shocks now garbage

Who knows what shape the springs and the remaining components are in? Good shocks with weak springs does no good.
I was just thinking that for some, the job of the shocks is mysterious

shocks : springs ::

1. hamster : wheel
2. 52 oz : half gallon
3. mayonnaise : Miracle Whip
4. Law : Order

I wouldnt hesitate to buy KYBs for the intended JAPANESE vehicles. Good luck with domestics :)
This is my scenario, Lexus OE simply isn't realistic on a 2006 car given their prices. The indie garage suggested KYB saying they do make the OE part (yes but not the same). So if the garage recommends them, at least I'm not making the decision solely on my own...but on wife's GM I went Bilstein B6 and once again, a product that goes into the "love them" category.

KYB shocks were once thought of as a very good brand (made in Japan) and were even installed by some auto makers. Today, they are made in 21 countries. None is USA or Canada of course.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I was going to install KYB quick struts on a Subaru, but they were sold out, so I got Monroe instead. Sounds like I dodged a bullet :D

So now I have Monroe up front and Bilstein in the back

Going to throw these in tomorrow- what is the extra washer for? 1990 toyota 4runner front and rear. pic is not correct application but shows hardware. I am familiar with steel cup washer, bushing, frame, bushing. steel cup washer, nut.....
download (1).jpg

Going to throw these in tomorrow- what is the extra washer for? 1990 toyota 4runner front and rear. pic is not correct application but shows hardware. I am familiar with steel cup washer, bushing, frame, bushing. steel cup washer, nut.....View attachment 177080
Hey please let me know what you think. I’m going to help my son with his 4Runner… rear shocks are totally gone at 92k miles. i want to find something that matches the character of the front, which we aren’t replacing yet.

-thought rancho 5000s, but the quality seems very short lived.

- thought about kyb, but “they aren’t what they used to be” is on every Internet forum I’ve found.

- ive had inconsistent experiences with 2 sets of bilstein 5100s, the last set failed way too early.

- im nervous that bilstein b6 (yellow/blue) will be too stiff.

- the last set of Gabriel ultras I installed was underwhelming.

- sachs is very tempting, but they are in bilstein price territory.

I was leaning towards kyb…

Hey please let me know what you think. I’m going to help my son with his 4Runner… rear shocks are totally gone at 92k miles. i want to find something that matches the character of the front, which we aren’t replacing yet.

-thought rancho 5000s, but the quality seems very short lived.

- thought about kyb, but “they aren’t what they used to be” is on every Internet forum I’ve found.

- ive had inconsistent experiences with 2 sets of bilstein 5100s, the last set failed way too early.

- im nervous that bilstein b6 (yellow/blue) will be too stiff.

- the last set of Gabriel ultras I installed was underwhelming.

- sachs is very tempting, but they are in bilstein price territory.

I was leaning towards kyb…
Getting the truck back on the road after many years of sitting, carpet, seats, turbo, paint, etc. Just need a few years out of the shocks. But the choice has dwindled when a guy isn't interested in flashy names. I might have gone Reflex if they made them, the momomax and max control are probably too much for me. My biggest issue was shipping- it kills so many deals. Found a few new sets private but the venders didn't want to ship. Found some oem shocks in the mid east- but the vender uses fedex (used them for a aisin slave cylinder rebuild kit) which kills me with fees (cost more than the kit). Sachs on fleabay may be a deal for the front, problem for the rear. I had a problem with the last set of bilstein- to be fair I uprated the rear leafs so that may have thrown the balance off- but to much $$ to be unhappy, replaced rear with sachs and am good. Shock are weird- went semi custom on a ski doo and cost huge $$- road like a cadillac on the trails tho.

Last edited:
NOT promoting these- but I'll take the $50 ;)

Thank you for participating in the KY 23-7368 $50 2023 Fall Promo Online CANADA program. We have received your rebate submission and we are processing your claim.

NOT promoting these- but I'll take the $50 ;)

Thank you for participating in the KY 23-7368 $50 2023 Fall Promo Online CANADA program. We have received your rebate submission and we are processing your claim.
I got it…it’s legit…👍

I went in 19 circles. Didn’t buy the kyb’s for him… went with a pair of blue/yellow billies. I would have personally been interested in a shoot-out between rancho 5000s, kyb and perhaps gabriel. I did have 2 sets of Monroe reflexes years ago and really liked them both, but they did wear quickly. I wondered if the rancho 5k was similar tech. Sachs would have been my first choice but backordered.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy KYBs for the intended JAPANESE vehicles. Good luck with domestics :)
KYB has been my default choice, as I haven't had a significant problem with them yet(one focus front strut came with a snug but not tight enough top nut). That said despite have 2 cars for 25 years now, I have bought only 6 struts and 2 shocks.... KYB's have always run to the end of the cars life, but most have gone 60-70k miles working in the normal range at least, with no leaks. The Focus front strut mounts are quite compliant and take the edge off of bumps well, better than the new Outback ones. The springs did raise the front end a little, but not enough for me to bother switching to the factory springs.
The current rear shocks on my Focus are KYB's and are from my first wagon, and probably now have over 100k miles on them, and damp well even now with 500 lbs of grain in the back, or with a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight on the trailer.
So far I see no reason to try anything else, but I will do some research on how the KYB rear struts specific to my Outback are holding up, as I think those will be my next shock purchase.

I haven't had the best experience with shocks- not wearing out, just ride quality over the years. The KYBs are not my first choice, would have gone Sachs then oem then Reflex but either don't make for the application or discontinued or shipping issues. So here's hoping for the best. If I had a better experience with Bilstein- might have gone that way.

I haven't had the best experience with shocks- not wearing out, just ride quality over the years. The KYBs are not my first choice, would have gone Sachs then oem then Reflex but either don't make for the application or discontinued or shipping issues. So here's hoping for the best. If I had a better experience with Bilstein- might have gone that way.
Our Bilstein B6 on a GM SUV have been heaven. Wish they were available for the Lexus. Lexus OE is a joke. Funnier pricing than Seinfeld doing stand up.

I was going to install KYB quick struts on a Subaru, but they were sold out, so I got Monroe instead. Sounds like I dodged a bullet :D

So now I have Monroe up front and Bilstein in the back
I had to put 4 KYB quick struts on my Subaru Outback due to a broken spring and leaking strut, OE were back ordered (this was in the time of the vid), I didnt want Monroe so I went with the KYB. The front were made in USA the rears Japan but COO and quality can change overnight, it has been 2 years and so far they are good, silent and only slightly firmer than OE but not harsh.

I have KYBs on my Mondeo. Rides very well and price was good. Buddy has a set on his Focus since 2019 with no problems.

I have bought Bilstein B4s (entry level, I know) for four cars and half of them have failed quite soon, usually the rear ones.

I had to put 4 KYB quick struts on my Subaru Outback due to a broken spring and leaking strut, OE were back ordered (this was in the time of the vid), I didnt want Monroe so I went with the KYB. The front were made in USA the rears Japan but COO and quality can change overnight, it has been 2 years and so far they are good, silent and only slightly firmer than OE but not harsh.
What year Outback? I had a set of GR2s on a 97 legacy and they were a sporty upgrade, and well-balanced on that car. In that year, kyb also made the oem units.

Back