KYB shocks now garbage

I have gone through 2 sets of KYB shocks in the last 2 years on my 70 Chevelle SS due to them leaking. Years ago these shocks were great when used on similar cars but something has changed. I just swithced to Bilsteins which although are about double the price give a much better ride and hopefully won't leak!

I have gone through 2 sets of KYB shocks in the last 2 years on my 70 Chevelle SS due to them leaking. Years ago these shocks were great when used on similar cars but something has changed. I just swithced to Bilsteins which although are about double the price give a much better ride and hopefully won't leak!
Just because they didn't work well for you, we are all supposed believe they are junk?

I was partially satisfied with my KYB - GR2's, ..
..way better than the ranchos,
..but but as good as the bilsteins.

Which KYB's?

No problems with KYB shocks on my Toyota #343149, will most likely be putting KYB on my Chevy as well because they are the original (built by Bilstein) 20 year old shocks so I know they are getting ready to fail just based on the age alone.

But with how the pandemic hit and how horrible the economy is right now I would not doubt there is some quality control issues at KYB as well as other manufacturers right now. I recommend you contact KYB and let them know they could have shipped out bad batches and happen to be getting from the bad batch, either way they need to know of this problem otherwise how can they fix the problem.

My KYB front struts have been nothing short of fantastic. In the rear I have Monroe air shocks.

It would've been cool to have KYB struts on all four corners.

The KYB's were the Gas-Adjust and they were in a 1970 Chevelle SS big block. Notice the ring on the piston sleeve. Whe i installed them there was NO ring!

Attachments

• KYB.jpg
    KYB.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 145
I can't say I'm a fan of KYB, because I tried a set on the front of my Silverado last year and they were not of good quality. Lots of noise and the ride was terrible. I took them out and installed Bilsteins and the ride was 100% better and there was much less noise. Just my experience.

Who knows what shape the springs and the remaining components are in? Good shocks with weak springs does no good.

Back