Kmart Oil Selection, Post Sears Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've slammed K-Mart for their pricing, here's one good thing - They are ALWAYS well stocked with all the oils they carry.

One other good thing about shopping at K-Mart; It's not Wal-Mart.

another good thing about k-mart, no long lines; it's a ghost town during the day. $$$ talks; if walmart is .50 cents cheaper on every item on their store compared to kmart; I'm going to walmart.

For me, K-Mart is just so much more convenient, since it's close to my house & W-M isn't. That, plus I find that I always want to choke somebody every time I go to Wal-Mart; sometimes it's the customers, sometimes it's the workers.

W-M has it's good points, but I try to avoid it if I can, simply because of the shopping experiences I've had in there.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
For me, K-Mart is just so much more convenient, since it's close to my house & W-M isn't.

Same for me. Also I rarely have to wait in line at K-Mart because, uh, nobody is there. The oil selection is kind of lousy except for Mobil 1 and the only filters they have are Frams.
rolleyes.gif

I like K-mart because it's less crowded too! I hate Wal-Mart with a passion. There's not a K-mart within 60 miles of here now though.

K-Mart will eventually ruin the good Sears name. In five more years, It would not shock me to see to Sears Tower in Chicago renamed the Wal*Mart Tower.

I HATE wal-mart. In fact, the ONLY reason that I go there is for certain oils that I cant get elsewhere at decent prices... Fortunately the markup on oil is supposedly very low, so wm isnt making much $$$ on me. And anyway, their selection of oil has been quite poor since katrina too... only the local non-chain store regularly stocks the good stuff like M1 5w-40.

Everything from the WM parking lot entry to the store exit is annoying to me. I much prefer the local stores and other chains, which, for most stuff that I buy offer comparable prices when shopped right, or better stuff, and always better service... I thought wal-mart opens new registers any time that there are more than 3 people in line...

I do a lot of shopping at k-mart though... always have, even when it was heavily shopped because wm hadnt migrated to our area yet (the good old days).

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
K-Mart will eventually ruin the good Sears name. In five more years, It would not shock me to see to Sears Tower in Chicago renamed the Wal*Mart Tower.

I dont know that sears had all that good of a name... at least around us. Their tire service was good, and I like their tools... but other than Levi's, their clothes/shoes arent that great, kenmore is just rebadged stuff from other companies, and a lot of the prices arent all that great for a cheapskate like me.

JMH

I hate 'em both, but my dislike for KMart is greater. It seems like everytime I go there, they don't have the simplest item I need like a certain drill bit, or a certain type of screw. As for their oil, I finally shopped their aisle a few weeks ago, and I thought that I had the find of the century since M1 was almost the same price as Wally's!
shocked.gif

Then I looked a little closer, and found they were charging the same price for a gallon jug, but Wally's was 5 quarts! So once again, KM it trying to pull the wool over the unsuspecting eyes because they can't price compete with Wally's. Just another reason for me to not shop there.
pat.gif

Wally's sucks too though, but I have found that going there later at night seems to do the trick. Usually if I stop by later than 7:30 or so, there are not too many people in the store, and I think there is not too much argument that they have everyone beat on price on the oil's they carry. But you should see the look on the cashiers face in the Electronics department when I stroll back and ask them to ring out my automotive purchase, so I don't have to stand in line up front...
freak2.gif

I visit K-Mart about once every year, and that is enough to remind me why I drive 10 miles to a Wal*Mart SuperCenter vs less than a mile to my local K-Mart.

Last visit was to pick up some oil that another store had on sale. I bought all of their stock and asked the K-Mart folks if they would price match the 5 quarts of 5W20 they had in stock.

The refused to price match, so I left my basket right there. Wal*Mart did price match, so there...

Last time I was there was Mother's Day last year, so I avoid that place, even though I drive by everyday when I return home from work.

They did have Mobil 1 for $4.50/quart on my last trip two weeks ago, but even that wasn't enough to get me to buy.

quote:

Originally posted by jeepman:

Then I looked a little closer, and found they were charging the same price for a gallon jug, but Wally's was 5 quarts! So once again, KM it trying to pull the wool over the unsuspecting eyes because they can't price compete with Wally's. Just another reason for me to not shop there.
pat.gif

IMO theyre not trying to pull the wool over anyones' eyes.... WM is the only place Ive ever seen 5qt mobil1 jugs. I have seen 4qt jugs elsewhere... they are actually th emore common breed, its only that WM's 5qt jugs are what everyone is familiar with.

IMO, the tool, hardware and bit selction at both stores isn nothing special... And the prices at either are nothing great too... Id much rather support my local hardware shop.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:

The refused to price match, so I left my basket right there. Wal*Mart did price match, so there...

Yeah... they used to price match.. didnt realize that wal mart does...

JMH

I could not get a thermostat at KMart. Had to go to a big hardware store. It seemed silly, they had a lot of similar, but useless items.

Now that Sears and Kmart are merged, Kmart auto departments have changed. First, DieHard batteries, of course. Second, the paring down of oil brands. Kmart and Havoline used to sponsor auto racing teams together. Havoline is gone, so is Valvoline. BP (Castrol), XOM (Exxon, Mobil, Mobil One) and Shell (QS, Pennzoil, Rotella) remain on the shelves. At least in this part of the country, Kmart ditched the tire and auto repair business a long time ago.

At me local K-Mart, they are well stocked with a lot of different brands of oil. Their prices are laughable, though. They want $5.96/qt. for Syntec. Mobil 1 EP is $5.99/qt. Go figure that one.

Our kmart dropped tire and auto years ago...

Right now they sell M1 quarts 2/$9. They always sell 4qt bottles for $20. Not as good as wal mart, but better than all the auto parts stores around.

Syntec prices IMO have always been screwey. I am bummed that they no longer have havoline... I dont see much of their rotella stock either. The only oil that has grown shelf space is he mobil offerings, with the 5000, 7500, M1 and M1EP all right up on the shelf!

JMH

Unable to buy in sufficient quantity to qualify for best wholesale pricing? WalMart's aggressive take-no-prisoners marketing style doesn't bode well for K-mart/Sears' long term outlook. But, WalMart is NOT K-mart/Sears' real problem. K-mart/Sears real problem are its past and current management mistakes coming home to roost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back