K&N Select filters vs AEM DryFlow?

I saw these K&N select air filters today at Walmart. Was $32 and change for the one I needed. This is a non-oiled filter, and other than the gasket color and media color, looks IDENTICAL to the AEM DryFlow filters (both brands are under the same family and made by the same company). I called tech support, and the guy told me the main difference between them is that the K&N select is made in China (it’s actually South Korea according to the box), and the AEM is made in the USA. Both use wire-backed dry synthetic media. He couldn’t confirm that it is the same media on both filters, since they’re made on opposite sides of the world. What do you think? I’ve seen a couple other posts about this but nothing was conclusive, and/or the conversation devolved into K&N bashing.

I saw these K&N select air filters today at Walmart. Was $32 and change for the one I needed. This is a non-oiled filter, and other than the gasket color and media color, looks IDENTICAL to the AEM DryFlow filters (both brands are under the same family and made by the same company). I called tech support, and the guy told me the main difference between them is that the K&N select is made in China (it’s actually South Korea according to the box), and the AEM is made in the USA. Both use wire-backed dry synthetic media. He couldn’t confirm that it is the same media on both filters, since they’re made on opposite sides of the world. What do you think? I’ve seen a couple other posts about this but nothing was conclusive, and/or the conversation devolved into K&N bashing.

The AEM Dryflow is the way to go, there is less bashing with AEM versus K&N.

Daily Driver and Longevity, paper air filter, or maybe AEM DryFlow!
Max Horsepower K&N

Which vehicle is it for? K&N publishes spec sheets with efficiency and flow data for most filter models, though I haven't noticed the dry type filter you describe on their website.

Which vehicle is it for? K&N publishes spec sheets with efficiency and flow data for most filter models, though I haven't noticed the dry type filter you describe on their website.
From what I can see, the Select filter is only sold at Amazon and Walmart. Can’t find it on K&N’s site.

2016 Explorer 2.3l. But these filters fit many applications. Been looking since yesterday, and cannot find any more info about them.

I personally have the AEM Dry Flow after my “research”. It’s my experience that K&N gets most of its hate for the oiled filters, not much of any for the dry filters. AEM being USA made is a pro for me also.

I've had a K&N in my 2UZFE 4runner for about 130k miles, 12 years now. I've cleaned it maybe 4 or 5 times. Never had an issue. No oily or dusty residue on the intake tube past the filter and MAF still looks like new since I cleaned it 130k miles ago.
I have an AEM DryFlow on my corvette. It's been on there for 30k miles, about 4 years. Cleaned it once, zero dust residue on the intake tube past the filter and MAF still looks like new since I cleaned it 30k miles ago.
They both work great in my opinion. The key to K&N is to not over oil them.

I know it has been said and hated on before, but I tried K&N for a couple years on a Ram 5.7 pickup. Personally, I didn't notice any benefit as far as power, mpg, etc. The whole cleaning it and re-oiling "to save money" really just became sort of a gimmicky thing to me and kind of a pain when considering the rather low cost of a regular filter and how relatively infrequently you had to change them out. I got a code one day that prompted me to take off the throttle body, etc and cleaned the MAF, which cleared the code. Seemed to me all the K&N did was make all that just get dirty and gunked up and this was before I ever had to mess with servicing the filter the 1st time myself. I went ahead and serviced the filter according to instructions, reinstalled and the code came back some months later. Recleaned the TB and MAF and put in a dry paper filter and never had another problem.

hahaha - I definatley use "how much hate it gets online" as a metric for which filter to buy. Biggest role-eye emoji ever.

I had a AEM dryflow from before the K&N merger. It fell apart after a year. They made good and gave me the new K&N lookalike style. Been on for 10 years now. Clean it every couple of years.

Back