Kinda neat engine swap

Got a vanagon brought to me for some ac work. Has a Subaru engine in it. Probably 3 x the power it originally had

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_191931225~2.jpg
    IMG_20230912_191931225~2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 103
I saw one of these on the Turnpike going 78. Definitely caught my eye seeing a brick moving like that. Owner subtly added Subaru badging, LOL.

Subaru engine supply is running dry. So another one that's catching wind right now is the TDI swap. This guy went through multiple Subaru engines, and now bought a brand new crate TDI engine from VW.

Subaru engine supply is running dry. So another one that's catching wind right now is the TDI swap. This guy went through multiple Subaru engines, and now bought a brand new crate TDI engine from VW.

And Mercedes wheels…which I’ve seen on a couple Vanagons.

Friend has one. A quite common swap.
A friend has an air-cooled '73. I mentioned the once-common Corvair engine transplant.

We then got talking about swapping Subaru engines into the Wasserboxer vans.

There's a company in Colorado that makes conversion kits to make the job straightforward.

That would be a fun project.

I have an 86 Vanagon Westfalia that I rebuilt the motor on. Used German parts and different rods from a 1.9L balanced. The 2.1 rods have an issue with breakage around 160K miles. Anyway it runs great and parts are available thru several suppliers. I'll stick with original.

Back