Keurig Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Years ago I ran into a rock star at a bar. I was a big fan of his, and there he was just drinking a beer at the bar. I told him that I'd seen him drinking beer on a number of occasions and he always drank Bud. I asked him why that was. He said that when he was a young man he would only drink a difficult to obtain micro-brew. Because he was constantly traveling he was always disappointed, so he learned to like Bud because he could get it anywhere. This struck me as eminently sensible.

That's like saying that if you keep your expectations very low, you'll never be disappointed. And that's certainly one way to do it, but if I'm spending money on something, I'd rather enjoy it.

Those who value convenience of coffee in a capsule should try Nespresso - it's significantly better than Keurig, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
BOF, I figured you for a Community Dark Roast exclusively kinda guy!

I used to be one until the Keurig was invented. The CC pods are way too expensive for me.
When I lived in FL. CC was cheaper there than here in La. Geaux figure.
confused2.gif

I tossed my keurig out a few years ago because it cost too much to keep fed.

A 12 cup pack of coffee for 5 bucks, or 10 12-cup pots of coffee for 6 bucks. Not a hard choice. ESPECIALLY with 6 adults in the house, all drinking coffee.

I was spending over $100/month on COFFEE. Nope.

No, I'm not saying you should keep your expectations "very low" but suggesting it's wise to hit a sort of sweet spot of performance, value, and convenience. Of maintaining a certain level of flexibility. That's a thing I find so interesting about snobbery. One man's ultimate is another's garbage. And vice-versa.
My point isn't to say anyone is right or wrong, but to note that if you are too particular (e.g. you require your steak to be cut from only one part of the animal, dry aged for a specific time, within a five millimeter width, and only prepared Pittsburgh rare) you're liable to often be disappointed. Especially if you travel a lot And as you noted, when you're spending money on something, you'd rather enjoy it.

We use a Keurig at work, I'll drink pretty much anything, but I've read that the pods labeled as "extra bold" are stronger in that they contain more coffee. In my minimal testing, that seems to be true.

At home, with some advice from QP (thanks again!), we recently got an espresso machine. Nothing too fancy, except that we ended up spending a little more on a slightly better burr grinder which seemed to make a huge difference to us. We're still getting the machine tuned in better, but a nice strong straight espresso or espresso based drink is nice on the weekend. I still do drip coffee many other days.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
At home, with some advice from QP (thanks again!), we recently got an espresso machine.

Which one did you end up getting?

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I tossed my keurig out a few years ago because it cost too much to keep fed.

A 12 cup pack of coffee for 5 bucks, or 10 12-cup pots of coffee for 6 bucks. Not a hard choice. ESPECIALLY with 6 adults in the house, all drinking coffee.

I was spending over $100/month on COFFEE. Nope.

I am the only one in my apt., so.............

My wife drinks 1 cup of coffee in the morning, I don't.

We've had 2 Keurigs and they don't last. She bought some type of refillable screen so she could use regular coffee.

After they broke, she went to Wal-Mart and spent $8. That lasted for several years, then spent another $8. So for less than $20 we've had two over the course of 8 years or so.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
At home, with some advice from QP (thanks again!), we recently got an espresso machine.

Which one did you end up getting?

We ended up getting a Breville Infuser and a Baratza Virtuoso.

We ended up getting a Breville Infuser and a Baratza Virtuoso.
Very nice!

Hopefully you've found some great freshly roasted beans to go along with it as well.

The built-in grinder in my Breville is the weak point of my setup currently. One of these days I'll get a nicer grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back