Keep K&N or NOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use an oiled air filter on a turbo vehicle. The velocity and volume of air can create issues.

I use a K&N on my 2014 T&C and 2005 Jeep. I took the CAI off of my 2012 Ram because of the above...

Just my $0.02

I wouldn't use an oiled air filter on a turbo vehicle. The velocity and volume of air can create issues.

I use a K&N on my 2014 T&C and 2005 Jeep. I took the CAI off of my 2012 Ram because of the above...

Just my $0.02
Like what? A bazillion people use these on turbo vehicles with no drama.

Here is my latest UOA sheet, continues to show low silicon/insolubles. I've had a K&N since new and went to an open-element style intake more recently (still using a K&N-style oiled filter).

40K UOA.jpg
20200908_162002.jpg

Here is my latest UOA sheet, continues to show low silicon/insolubles. I've had a K&N since new and went to an open-element style intake more recently (still using a K&N-style oiled filter).

View attachment 29142View attachment 29144
With how clean that engine bay is, I assume your location is not very dusty, which likely explains it.

I was a past user of K&N decades ago. Never did have any MAP sensor issues. But I also was not in an area where I needed to clean it often. I often saw 50k or more with just gently cleaning the media of loose dust and usually some leaves in it. I did this a few times a year. After I got "edumicated" I went to OEM, FRAM, Mahales is good stuff, Pur too.

An hour ago I put a Fram Ultra in my F150. Most likely my driving conditions will see the 40k advertises but might see 50k. Time will tell.

I'd ditch the K&N for a better filter.

100%/exactly - if I lived where it was v. dusty, I would likely not run an open intake/high-flow filter. I do keep it clean/clean it regularly.
That’s kind of an important detail that impacts the UOA you’ve posted don’t you think? If the filter isn’t required to filter as much isn’t that relevant?

Maybe like a lot of other close number data, the small differences are over reacted to in real life? Thinking about it, doesn't the engine blow out most of the sand right away on the exhaust stroke? I vaguely remember in high school getting dirt in the carburetor and seeing a puff immediatley come out the tail pipe. LOL

Like what? A bazillion people use these on turbo vehicles with no drama.

To each their own TiGeo. I had codes on my 2012 Ram and Chrysler said it was the AFE CAI. The air velocity with the turbo was too much for the filter and creating issues with the CCV filter. I'm not willing to risk thousands of dollars for my 6.7L Cummins so I put the OEM system back on and run a Mopar or Fleetguard filter...

As a side note I don't know many semi's with oiled air filters on them. If money is no issue then motor on.

Just my $0.02

That’s kind of an important detail that impacts the UOA you’ve posted don’t you think? If the filter isn’t required to filter as much isn’t that relevant?
100% - I'd argue that the driving conditions I have are what a large portion of users in the U.S. experience vs. an outlier. I believe in one of these K&N threads I pointed out that I don't drive in dusty conditions.

To each their own TiGeo. I had codes on my 2012 Ram and Chrysler said it was the AFE CAI. The air velocity with the turbo was too much for the filter and creating issues with the CCV filter. I'm not willing to risk thousands of dollars for my 6.7L Cummins so I put the OEM system back on and run a Mopar or Fleetguard filter...

As a side note I don't know many semi's with oiled air filters on them. If money is no issue then motor on.

Just my $0.02
Big diesels - not in my wheel house for sure. Don't lots of folks with big Cummins diesels run high-flow filters/intakes as part of upgrade packs like Banks etc.? Also, I think your issue could be related to the CAI vs. just a drop-in panel filter which I think is the topic of this thread?

I read pp. 1,2, 3 and 12 of this thread. THANKS FOR "TL;DR".
OK, so K&N (and other aftermarket filtration hardware?) has a place in The Garden of Eden after a dust settling rain.
They also appear to market to high school boys using "data" which is more than slightly obfuscated.
They tout Earth saving reductions of discarded materials, i.e. old OE style AF elements.
I never sought one in a store. Are they made in the USA? If so they're likely wrapped in the flag too.
MY TWO CENTS: You don't have to step back far to see the big picture here.
Go OE.

OK, so K&N (and other aftermarket filtration hardware?) has a place in The Garden of Eden after a dust settling rain.
They also appear to market to high school boys using "data" which is more than slightly obfuscated.
They tout Earth saving reductions of discarded materials, i.e. old OE style AF elements.
I never sought one in a store. Are they made in the USA? If so they're likely wrapped in the flag too.
Go OE.
Long live 11th grade and God bless America! 🤣 🤣 🤣
engine bay.jpg

Go OE.
wHy DoNt YoU jUsT gRoW uP!!!1
IMG_20180721_085658.jpg

Yeah, alright. I'll give that a try.
In the mean time I'll stick to my upbringing and acquired common sense and resist buying auto accessories which are, at best, of marginal benefit.
You gotta resist the well practiced efforts of marketeers. After a short while claims and exaggerations become lies; lies to get our money.

Money spent on a hobby? I'm all for that but as a population we MUST constantly call out the indefinite language of advertising.
In the case of these hose and filter assemblies, people should know the windows of effective applicability are narrow.

Obviously bro, buy and do what makes you happy. And, at my age, I haven't much time to grow up too much more.

Big diesels - not in my wheel house for sure. Don't lots of folks with big Cummins diesels run high-flow filters/intakes as part of upgrade packs like Banks etc.? Also, I think your issue could be related to the CAI vs. just a drop-in panel filter which I think is the topic of this thread?

This is certainly the debate on many of the diesel truck forums out there. There are certainly 2 camps on this issue. I will share that I saw 0 (ZERO) improvement in HP or MPG with the CAI. It was the biggest waste of money and also put my turbo at risk... I'm glad to be back to the OEM intake and filter.

Just my $0.02

The only filter that matters is the oil filter. Starting a new anti air filter group. So far one member. My evidence is my air filter doesn't even look dirty after 50k so how much dirt is really going in per mile, and my platform is most of that will be blown out by the exhaust stroke.:p
Those air filters in the engine bay behind the radiator, what is the science behind improving power with hot air intake versus cold?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back