Keep K&N or NOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farns- 1) I in NO way condone street racing. And 2) IMO nothing wrong with tuning a vehicle for more power. Just wanted to clarify that first and point out a major manufacturer is using K&N in a tuning kit. I won't say anymore to this as I feel I made my point along with TiGeo explanation. I know K&N is a touchy subject, just like saying Amsoil, that some need to get over.

Originally Posted by Lufty
TiGeo- I agree and couldn't of said it better myself. That's what I was trying to point out.

Cool!

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Yes, the first reply to the OP was all that was needed. KN out, OE in, done. He said not so interested in performance.
Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads. Or they could public road race at night when it's colder so they make more horsepower. Best to do that with lights off. Let's hope no one is killed from it.
11.gif

And as that is his intent/use, perfect! Paper/OE filter all day/every day. These posts always involve a cast of characters telling folks the evils of K&N that are simply false and hence why it dissolves into a debate. Who said racing on public roads? Last I checked, it's not illegal to modify your car for more performance and enjoy it. If having a quick/fast car is an issue we can all drive base-model Ford Focuses. You are correct though, my best street times have always been when the DA is super-negative from cold/dense air even though my car is turbocharged. I too hope the streets remain safe.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Yes, the first reply to the OP was all that was needed. KN out, OE in, done. He said not so interested in performance.
Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads. Or they could public road race at night when it's colder so they make more horsepower. Best to do that with lights off. Let's hope no one is killed from it.
11.gif

And as that is his intent/use, perfect! Paper/OE filter all day/every day. These posts always involve a cast of characters telling folks the evils of K&N that are simply false and hence why it dissolves into a debate. Who said racing on public roads? Last I checked, it's not illegal to modify your car for more performance and enjoy it. If having a quick/fast car is an issue we can all drive base-model Ford Focuses. You are correct though, my best street times have always been when the DA is super-negative from cold/dense air even though my car is turbocharged. I too hope the streets remain safe.

Equating driving fast and racing on the streets because someone drops in a K&N air filter is pretty ludicrous. People drive fast and race on the streets with bone stock 120 HP cars, lol.

Originally Posted by rat
My Focus likes the K&N so much that every time I go back to a paper filter, the car just feels like it has asthma.

Exactly. Tell a nice difference in wife's 2014 Cruze 1.4 Turbo when switched to KN. Acceleration is alot better. Turbo lag is almost non-existent now.

Just replaced the intake on my car with an open-element "cone filter on a stick" intake to get some more turbo noise. My previous setup was just the stock box with a K&N drop in filter, a larger silicone intake hose, and some minor modifications to the stock box/front duct to get more direct/higher air-flow to it. This has been on my modified car for 35K miles with some v. hard driving, a few dirt roads, and lots of highway miles.

The filter is v. dirty on the inlet side with lots of bugs etc. due to my modified air box setup (much more direct flow to it/nothing to block large debris from entering). The outlet side is v. clean. I wiped the inside of the hose with a white paper towel and noted nothing - clean...no oil, no dirt, no grime. All of my UOAs continue to show low silicon and insolubles which indicate filtering isn't an issue. I typically just knock out the big stuff every oil change or so and don't clean/re-oil until 50K per K&Ns recommendations. The new filter is exposed so I'll have to keep an eye on it - not sure of the brand but most of the oiled filters that come with the intakes are likely K&N.

Having issues posting pics so will do so later today/this evening when I get home.

Just replaced the intake on my car with an open-element "cone filter on a stick" intake to get some more turbo noise. My previous setup was just the stock box with a K&N drop in filter, a larger silicone intake hose, and some minor modifications to the stock box/front duct to get more direct/higher air-flow to it. This has been on my modified car for 35K miles with some v. hard driving, a few dirt roads, and lots of highway miles.

The filter is v. dirty on the inlet side with lots of bugs etc. due to my modified air box setup (much more direct flow to it/nothing to block large debris from entering). The outlet side is v. clean. I wiped the inside of the hose with a white paper towel and noted nothing - clean...no oil, no dirt, no grime. All of my UOAs continue to show low silicon and insolubles which indicate filtering isn't an issue. I typically just knock out the big stuff every oil change or so and don't clean/re-oil until 50K per K&Ns recommendations. The new filter is exposed so I'll have to keep an eye on it - not sure of the brand but most of the oiled filters that come with the intakes are likely K&N.

Having issues posting pics so will do so later today/this evening when I get home.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the pics. Question, do any of your 8 screws on the factory air box tighten but not to a stop? I have one that does this. It actually holds the box shut but doesn't come to finite number of turns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the pics. Question, do any of your 8 screws on the factory air box tighten but not to a stop? I have one that does this. It actually holds the box shut but doesn't come to finite number of turns.

Yes, they all tighten down fully.

Yes, they all tighten down fully.

Thanks for the pics. Congrats on the intake. Which one? Unitronic?

Neuspeed

Looks sweet!

Thx man - sounds sweet!

I read Ford Performance released a kit for the new Ford Ranger with the equipment to download/upgrade the engine and transmission settings. Also included in the kit is a K&N drop-in filter. I thought it was interesting that Ford is using a K&N air filter of all the choices they had to choose from for this kit. Also retains warranty coverage when dealer or ASE mechanic installed.

Because as stated ad-nauseum in this thread - they are fine to use/don't cause issues. You get more flow (performance) at the expense of *a little* less filtration that arguably doesn't' matter anyway. Ford Racing isn't the only OEM performance div. to use high-flow oiled filters in their performance intake systems. Parts generally balance performance with longevity/reliability with OE bits weighted towards the latter. These filters require more involvement by the owner to maintain them but for those willing, they do provide slight performance gains that have been shown over and over. If filtering every last spec is your jam, cool, use the OE filter.

Very, very well stated ^^^^^^^^^^^

The UOAs you have posted showed very low silicon levels as well.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I read Ford Performance released a kit for the new Ford Ranger with the equipment to download/upgrade the engine and transmission settings. Also included in the kit is a K&N drop-in filter. I thought it was interesting that Ford is using a K&N air filter of all the choices they had to choose from for this kit. Also retains warranty coverage when dealer or ASE mechanic installed.

Because as stated ad-nauseum in this thread - they are fine to use/don't cause issues. You get more flow (performance) at the expense of *a little* less filtration that arguably doesn't' matter anyway. Ford Racing isn't the only OEM performance div. to use high-flow oiled filters in their performance intake systems. Parts generally balance performance with longevity/reliability with OE bits weighted towards the latter. These filters require more involvement by the owner to maintain them but for those willing, they do provide slight performance gains that have been shown over and over. If filtering every last spec is your jam, cool, use the OE filter.

Very, very well stated ^^^^^^^^^^^

The UOAs you have posted showed very low silicon levels as well.

It's easier to just say "K&Ns suck, let more dirt in, ruin engines, and kill MAFs." ahahahaha

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
11.gif

Equating driving fast and racing on the streets because someone drops in a K&N air filter is pretty ludicrous. People drive fast and race on the streets with bone stock 120 HP cars, lol.

No one is saying that here. Street racing is illegal btw.
My Toyota T100 has a factory hole in the inner fender for the air intake to take colder air in outside of the engine compartment. Gee why don't they put the filter behind the radiator like the one pictured here? People buy KN and put it behind the radiator, the worst place for making more power. Nice and hot air intake with lower density air charge defeats the purpose of less restriction.
As for Ford Racing I notice they add an engine/trans setting kit to the KN kit.
This is all I am saying, no 20 page opinionated have to have the last word discussion needed.

11.gif

My Toyota T100 has a factory hole in the inner fender for the air intake to take colder air in outside of the engine compartment. Gee why don't they put the filter behind the radiator like the one pictured here? People buy KN and put it behind the radiator, the worst place for making more power. Nice and hot air intake with lower density air charge defeats the purpose of less restriction.
As for Ford Racing I notice they add an engine/trans setting kit to the KN kit.
This is all I am saying, no 20 page opinionated have to have the last word discussion needed.

And my filter/stick also pairs well with my larger turbo and ECU/TCU software. Folks like to always talk about my intake style as a "hot air" intake - I've done plenty of logging comparing ambient/intake air (after the turbo/intercooler) to know that you don't see much difference and keep in mind that you are looking for flow here to a larger/modified turbo and at some point, the intercooler (upgraded of course) is used to deal with that slight increase in charge air temp so you can get all that flow which is of course beneficial in my case. When are you moving along the air temp difference between front of the grill and that filter is minimal - the duct in front of that filter is channeling outside air directly to it/helping evacuate that hot engine air you are concerned with. Street racing? Never heard of it.

Last edited:
11.gif

Your comment above of "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" is implying that people who drop in a K&N are out street racing to test for HP gains. If that's what you didn't mean then you should word it differently. And duh ... yeah, I think anyone with a driver's license knows that street racing is illegal, but that doesn't stop them ... especially if they just dropped in a K&N air filter.
lol.gif

[/quote]
Your comment above of "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" is implying that people who drop in a K&N are out street racing to test for HP gains. If that's what you didn't mean then you should word it differently. And duh ... yeah, I think anyone with a driver's license knows that street racing is illegal, but that doesn't stop them ... especially if they just dropped in a K&N air filter.
lol.gif

[/quote]

Actually your plucking out words of my posts then applying your own opinions as to what it implies, still doesn't change "Anyone public road racing testing fractions of a hp gain shouldn't be on public roads" sounding correct to me.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back