K&N Premium Filter is nothing more than a Supertech

wouldn't you think a high efficiency filter would plug sooner, if it was more efficient? maybe you mean a higher capacity filter, not a higher efficiency filter.
Not if designed right with the right media. Look at the Fram Ultra, Titanium and Endurance. They are all 99+% @ 20u and are rated for 20K and 25K miles, which means they do not "plug-up" with long use and can hold a lot of debris (aka high "holding capacity). There are years of threads discussing all of this in the Oil Filter forum.

Last edited:
A drop-in replacement can be designed with more media if the engineer knows how to do it ... more pleats, deeper pleats in the same filter space can typically be done.
I undestand that but is there anyone who does a "high media paper performance drop-in"? I'm thinking no. You get OE or if you want more flow you do aftermarket K&N, AEM, etc.

I undestand that but is there anyone who does a "high media paper performance drop-in"? I'm thinking no.
Maybe someone should ... I could see a market for it. Get more flow (the main goal) and maintain high efficiency with a simple OEM airbox drop-in.

Not if designed right with the right media. Look at the Fram Ultra, Titanium and Endurance. They are all 99+% @ 20u and are rated for 20K and 25K miles, which means they do not "plug-up" with long use and can hold a lot of debris (aka high "holding capacity). There are years of threads discussing all of this in the Oil Filter forum.
yeah, but basically it doesn't matter unless you do extended oil changes and sampling. if a person just follows the more normal OCI's or tends toward compulsive oil changing no need..

yeah, but basically it doesn't matter unless you do extended oil changes and sampling. if a person just follows the more normal OCI's or tends toward compulsive oil changing no need..
Some day perhaps someone will post any sort of evidence that wear isn't correlated to filtering efficiency.

What would "compulsive oil changing" do that would require a more efficient filter?

Some day perhaps someone will post any sort of evidence that wear isn't correlated to filtering efficiency.

What would "compulsive oil changing" do that would require a more efficient filter
I believe I said no need for an uber filter if one tends towards compulsive oil changing. :)
I think if a person really wants effective oil filtering they'd go the bypass filter route, but based on most evidence I have seen and the fact it just isn';t done very much anymore its generally un necessary

I believe I said no need for an uber filter if one tends towards compulsive oil changing. :)
I think if a person really wants effective oil filtering they'd go the bypass filter route, but based on most evidence I have seen and the fact it just isn';t done very much anymore its generally un necessary
Well perhaps, but nevertheless there is a direct correlation. I used to be the other way where I didn't think it mattered either, but I changed my mind on that one. Bypass filtration isn't as effective on a gasoline engine as a diesel but I can easily purchase a filter with better efficiency over one that's less. No need to just throw up your hands and say it doesn't matter.

Well perhaps, but nevertheless there is a direct correlation. I used to be the other way where I didn't think it mattered either, but I changed my mind on that one. Bypass filtration isn't as effective on a gasoline engine as a diesel but I can easily purchase a filter with better efficiency over one that's less. No need to just throw up your hands and say it doesn't matter.
honestly, I've always bought the cheapest filter. Didn't worry about that and can't think of one vehicle I have owned that I wore out the engine from something that I would call oil related.. it's usually something else. I've had one that went past the 300k mark and a bunch that were in the 200k+ range. So what is the point in spending more money than necessary ? IMHO spending extra is a warm and fuzzy feel good thing mostly..

honestly, I've always bought the cheapest filter. Didn't worry about that and can't think of one vehicle I have owned that I wore out the engine from something that I would call oil related.. it's usually something else. I've had one that went past the 300k mark and a bunch that were in the 200k+ range. So what is the point in spending more money than necessary ? IMHO spending extra is a warm and fuzzy feel good thing mostly..
This is the reality. Oil technology and filter efficiency are better than ever. I think the key is changing them at appropriate intervals depending on your use. On this forum we like to nerd out about filters/oil, but it would be very difficult to prove an engine wearing any better with a $16 filter over a $4 filter, especially with 5-6k OCIs.

The only oil-related failures I've seen in my life have been due to a complete lack of oil altogether. Lately I've been using Fram Extra Guards, Tough Guards, and Supertechs on pretty much everything, and they have honestly looked just as good if not better inside than all of the more expensive brands I've cut open. At the end of the day, most of our vehicles will be let go due to rust or some other kind of age-related failure. Even the vehicles that do have engine failures, it is usually not related to lubrication, but instead material or design issues that oil/filters won't prevent.

I suppose if I only kept my cars that long I could see the point.

You asked a question about high efficiency filters clogging, but this reponse is just a non related circular deflection.

You asked a question about high efficiency filters clogging, but this reponse is just a non related circular deflection.
That's how it works I've seen. Make an incorrect statement, get a technical correction, never come back and say "thank you" or comment on the correction, then post another obtuse and unrelated statement or comment.

honestly, higher efficiency implies tighter tolerances,which should restrict sooner than a looser tolerance, but higher capacity implies holding more of whatever it is we are measuring. two different things...

honestly, higher efficiency implies tighter tolerances,which should restrict sooner than a looser tolerance, but higher capacity implies holding more of whatever it is we are measuring. two different things...
If what you think is true, then how can the Fram Ultra, Titanium and Endurance all be high efficiency and long use (high holding capacity) filters? They also all have a pretty low flow vs delta-p flow curve. If the media is designed well, and enough surface area is used, all of those performance factors can be obtained.

If what you think is true, then how can the Fram Ultra, Titanium and Endurance all be high efficiency and long use (high holding capacity) filters? They also all have a pretty low flow vs delta-p flow curve. If the media is designed well, and enough surface area is used, all of those performance factors can be obtained.
Zee, up to a point I agree with you but you are also using two different measurements. one being capacity and the other being efficiency as meaning how small and what percentage. anyway, it doesn't make much difference in the end..

Zee, up to a point I agree with you but you are also using two different measurements. one being capacity and the other being efficiency as meaning how small and what percentage. anyway, it doesn't make much difference in the end..
What? He’s using the correct terms.

Zee, up to a point I agree with you but you are also using two different measurements. one being capacity and the other being efficiency as meaning how small and what percentage.
Yes, different measurements ... but connected to some degree. The high holding capacity helps keep the filter more efficient as it loads up. If you understood how the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test is done, you'd understand how they are connected. Bad efficiency can be the result of the media just being inefficient, but it can on top of that be a result of the holding capacity and how well the media retains already captured particles as the filter loads up and the delta-p across the filter continues to increase. Example below. Oil filters get more efficient only when they are almost fully loaded and about to go into bypass ... which is where you don't want it operating.

1694826026802.png

Not everyone has the budget to constantly rebuild an engine after a short amount of hours on the engine.
Funny you should mention that-almost ALL of the local machine shops here are long out of business. I do have one guy here close by (northern Cincy/Hartwell) that turns & even Magnafluxes cranks in his garage shop (my brother gets his dirt track engine ones done there). If I had to have a block bored, or even a head resurfaced & valve job done, I would be hard pressed to find ANYONE who could do it! Now everybody must send their junk to U-Pull & Pay or similar & just find something else to drive!

Not if designed right with the right media. Look at the Fram Ultra, Titanium and Endurance. They are all 99+% @ 20u and are rated for 20K and 25K miles, which means they do not "plug-up" with long use and can hold a lot of debris (aka high "holding capacity). There are years of threads discussing all of this in the Oil Filt

I just received my order of 2 K&N oil filters HP-1010 directly from K&N, they look I identical to the Supertech filters, with the exception of the nut welded to the top, even has the plastic cage inside, 3 times the cost.

Will not buy these ever again. just a FYI
First Brands Champion Labs makes a LOT of filters for other people who slap their name on them-ST, RP, K&N, AC Delco, etc... The trick is knowing what they put in which one for the best price-which seems to be the ST & ST MP, alng with the Champ XL. NOTHING K&N is a good deal!

Back