Just reserved a Rivian R2

The rivian dealer here in Calgary is a couple of blocks from work. They have one of these driving around that I see every once in a while. First glance is a range rover if you see it from the back. the front lights are a dead giveaway every time.

Only ones on the road currently are R1S (SUV) and R1T (pickup). There are pretty big.

Today they announced R2 which is a smaller five seat SUV, and R3 which is even smaller, almost hatchback sized.

Only ones on the road currently are R1S (SUV) and R1T (pickup). There are pretty big.

Today they announced R2 which is a smaller five seat SUV, and R3 which is even smaller, almost hatchback sized.
Remember when people worried about the large land cruisers and small cars crashing? That pickup full of batteries probably weighs close to 4 tons.

I don't think they are going to make it, currently relying on Illinois and federal subsidies. Illinois is on pretty shaky ground money wise.

Remember when people worried about the large land cruisers and small cars crashing? That pickup full of batteries probably weighs close to 4 tons.

I don't think they are going to make it, currently relying on Illinois and federal subsidies. Illinois is on pretty shaky ground money wise.
8,000 pounds? Wow, that's pretty piggy!

I would be concerned that if Rivian goes belly up in the next couple of years, you might be left without a service and parts network.
Like what happened to Peugot and Saab customers in the US. Or Fiskars.
That's what I, and everyone else, thought about Tesla in Dec 2018 when we bought ours. Kinda crazy to drop 40 large, or whatever it was, on a dead end vehicle. Who knew?

No idea if I'm going to go through with it, but it looks pretty sweet. Could replace either of our vehicles, really, but we have two years to figure it out.

The R3 looks like a great product too.
I had one of those behind me the other day. I passed it and thought it was good looking. Don't like that front end.
On second thought it must have been a R1S.

They still are concerned. The pig Ev's are crashing right through highway dividers/barriers. They are looking at having to re-engineer them all for added strength.

They still are concerned. The pig Ev's are crashing right through highway dividers/barriers. They are looking at having to re-engineer them all for added strength.

The average EV is still lighter than the average pickup, but it's more fun to demonize EVs I guess.

The real answer is everything is getting big, heavy, and stupid. Common sense needs to step in and stop it because government regulations are forcing these asinine monstrosities to hit the road, ICE pickups included.

The average EV is still lighter than the average pickup, but it's more fun to demonize EVs I guess.

The real answer is everything is getting big, heavy, and stupid. Common sense needs to step in and stop it because government regulations are forcing these asinine monstrosities to hit the road, ICE pickups included.

Been saying that for years.

The same guys that are clutching their hearts like Fred Sanford over the weight of EV's totally ignore "twofer" you get with trucks - the weight and subsidy of the best selling vehicles in our country.

No idea if I'm going to go through with it, but it looks pretty sweet. Could replace either of our vehicles, really, but we have two years to figure it out.

The R3 looks like a great product too.

Did you get the base 270 mile 2WD or the AWD version?

F150, 4300lbs, R1t 7148lbs Model Y 4400lbs. More fun to bash ICE vehicles?

Back