Just got my foid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to suggest going to the range to rent and try some guns. Trying them out and finding one you like and want to shoot often is a good start. And if not already, spend a bunch of time researching, trying your best to understand the different types of guns, actions, calibers, etc.

And of course, more training is always good.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Donald
A dog is better protectant.

Love dogs.

Have two.

But while they're an early warning system, they are not a deterrent to the kind of person that the OP wishes to arm himself against. Those people shoot dogs first.
Thats exactly what I was going to say. Those who are determined to invade your home will not hesitate to shoot any dogs you may have.

Wouldn't a player piano weigh more than 600 lbs.?
smile.gif

Thanks for all the reply's , what about a 9mm glock or rugar with a laser , and yes I have alarm and cameras at the house ,actually the gun store a mile from my house was robbed at night 2 times in the last 2 weeks ,thank God they caught one of them a few days ago they had good cameras ,man people are getting crazy , 54 years old now time to lock and load , and yes I understand the need for good training and practice

I think we've all made the point that training matters. Commitment matters.

What do I think of a Glock 9mm? Great gun. Decent ergonomics. Not picky about ammo. Incredibly reliable. Easy to maintain. Easy to shoot. Lots of parts support. Not the prettiest. A very effective tool.

I own a Glock 17 and 4 Glock 19s. I taught my daughters to shoot handgun with a Glock 19. My youngest was 12 when she learned. I won't post her photos (posing with her targets and the G19) on BITOG (for security/privacy reasons) but you should see her work with a Glock 19. A lot of adults wish they could shoot as well as that twelve year old girl...

So, great choice for a handgun, if you shoot well with it, train with it, and understand the use of lethal force.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bumble_guy
Thanks for all the reply's , what about a 9mm glock or rugar with a laser , and yes I have alarm and cameras at the house ,actually the gun store a mile from my house was robbed at night 2 times in the last 2 weeks ,thank God they caught one of them a few days ago they had good cameras ,man people are getting crazy , 54 years old now time to lock and load , and yes I understand the need for good training and practice

What town in IL are you from?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
How did you know about my trebuchet!?

Lol. Don't need a permit in NJ, so it's a good idea here!

When I first got my FOID, after doing all the research I could, I ended up getting a Glock 19 as one of my first firearms. I rented a bunch at the range, but I didn't honestly know what I should have been paying attention to, other that how it "fit" in my hand, for which they all felt the same/good enough. Since I didn't know how I'd like the hobby long term, I went with something that was popular, with a good reputation and was well priced. Worst case, if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it without much trouble, turns out, I like my G19, a lot.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
When I first got my FOID, after doing all the research I could, I ended up getting a Glock 19 as one of my first firearms. I rented a bunch at the range, but I didn't honestly know what I should have been paying attention to, other that how it "fit" in my hand, for which they all felt the same/good enough. Since I didn't know how I'd like the hobby long term, I went with something that was popular, with a good reputation and was well priced. Worst case, if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it without much trouble, turns out, I like my G19, a lot.

Small-block Chevy/AK-47 of the pistol world!

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
The thing about a revolver is, most of them don't have an accessory rail to mount a weapon light. I'm a strong proponent of having a light mounted on a home defense gun.

I disagree. Puts a light on you too.

The cool thing about mounted lights is that you dont have to use them. The cool thing about mounted lights is, when you need a light, wow, look at that, you already have one mounted, and its available for use. Its MUCH better to have one and not need it, than the other way around. You could have a handheld light on your nightstand, and 90% of the time, its right there, but there is a 10% of the time that the cat knocks it off the night stand, your wife uses it and forgets to put it back, your kids play with it and dont return it, etc. A weapon mounted light is physically bolted to your weapon, and will ALWAYS be available to you. Your wife/kids/cat are not going to remove a bolted on weapon light and lose it.

As someone that has ACTUALLY been there, got the T-shirt, and been in a high risk, dangerous tactical event, and my flashlight just broke, I will never let that happen again.

I HIGHLY, as in HIGHLY recommend that anyone that has a home defense gun, mount a weapon mounted light to it. You'll never regret having a weapon mounted light. You'll never say to yourself, "Man, I really wish I didn't have this flashlight."

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Unless the bad guys surprise me and get all the way to my bedroom door in which case my sons room would be in the line of fire. Thats when I would go hand to hand.

If going hand to hand with a home invader is Option A, I would go with Option B. Yes we need to be cognizant of where our bullets go. If your current location puts others at risk should you fire a gun, then MOVE. My bedroom is a standard 12X14, pretty similiar to most other folks. And I can adjust my aimed fire a full 90-120 degrees. You probably could too.

I agree with no flashlights (unless it is a strobe), you are on your home turf, you should have the advantage since you know the layout. Make sure you 100% ID that the person you are about to blast is a bad guy.

How do you identify your target in pitch black (bad guys cut your power) without a flashlight? You'd just be shooting at a shadow. Which no one should do, ever.

Just one small example. What if that shadow was a police man walking down the hallway? Pretty far fetched? During my career, at least 2-4 times PER YEAR, I was in someones else's house, late at night, with a very urgent need to awake them, after they didn't respond to the door. Shooting at a shadow could kill officer friendly who is just there with a good reason.

Examples:
1) Neighboring apartment on fire, building about to go. Apartment manager 100% sure that "Tom" is in there sleeping. Tom was the neighborhood drunk, and sleeps very heavy. No amount of banging on the door, kicking on the door, or ringing the door bell, brought "Tom" to the door. Door was kicked in, and apartment searched, to find Tom sleeping in his bedroom. I'm sure glad Tom didn't wake up and shoot at the shadow (me)

2) Farmer John's 250 head of cattle just broke a fence and are escaping to parts unknown. A huge mess is getting worse by the minute. Farmer John will not answer the phone, will not answer the door. He leaves his front door unlocked. Let my self in, announced Sheriff loudly several times, and awoke Farmer John. Sure glad he didn't shoot at a shadow (me)

3) Teacher Becky's front door is wide open at 4 AM. Some inclimate weather in the area, its possible that the wind blew it open. Its also possible that she is getting raped and murdered by an intruder in her bedroom. No amount of knocking, or ringing the door bell, gets a response. Let my self in, announced Sheriff loudly several times, and I enter Becky's home to check her well being, and to have her secure her front door, for her safety. Sure glad she didn't shoot at the shadow (me)

If you dont have a light on your gun, you need to.

Are you ever going to take a class? If the answer is no, then that rules out pump shotguns, semi-auto pistols, any many others.

Basically that leaves a 38 special revolver that you can leave in a drawer for decades. It will work when you pick it up. Squeeze the trigger six times, it goes bang six times. No real training needed for that (although everyone should get training)

Home defense ranges from "I have a oak stick in the corner" to "I have suppressed combat capable short barrel rifles, night vision, body armor, and 20 years of special forces training". You'll probably fall somewhere in the middle.

I could literally write an entire book on this topic.

I pretty serious about home defense. I am of the opinion that a pistol is a secondary weapon. Its used for bump in the night scenarios (I hear a noise but I dont really think its an intruder). If you are 100% certain there is an intruder in your house, then you absolutely 100% should be picking up a long gun. They are more accurate, more powerful, more accurate, have better ballistics, and more accurate (did I say that already?)

A high capacity plastic fantastic pistol (Glock, Smith&Wesson, etc) is a good "starter" home defense gun if you have no guns already (if you will get training)

If you wont get training, get a 7 shot, steel frame, 4" or 6" barrel revolver in .38 special caliber to start. Smith&Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus make them.

Once the new 9MM Ruger carbine hits the market, it will probably be my standard home defense gun recommendation (in these kinds of threads) should the gun prove to be reliable. Why? I cant stress enough how much better people shoot with a long gun than a pistol. ESPECIALLY novices. Because lets be honest, in a real tactical environment, you'll probably miss 70% of your shots with a pistol. With a long gun, you might miss 10-20% of your shots.

I agree with no flashlights (unless it is a strobe), you are on your home turf, you should have the advantage since you know the layout. Make sure you 100% ID that the person you are about to blast is a bad guy.

Watch this video. A light, used properly, is a HUGE tactical advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7FemqK3JU

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Watch this video. A light, used properly, is a HUGE tactical advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7FemqK3JU

Especially if it is on this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back