Just got my foid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the shotgun for self defense. Maneuvering one in a self defense situation is potentially problematic. Turning the corner with one is dangerous as it can be grabbed very easy by the bad guy. Retreating or being in a safe space such as your bedroom and firing a shot when the bad guy enters and trying to get the second shot off when the second bad guy enters before he shots or stabs you is difficult.
Get something with a laser and maybe the light, too, that turns on the second you grab the gun. Maintain it like you do your smoke alarms.
A lot of guys don't want a laser on their pistols and want a range gun as their self defense weapon. I want a good tool that I hopefully
will never have to use.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Astro14
With any discussion on a firearm - I would need to know more: your priorities, your willingness to train, your experience, your budget, etc.

It's a lot like asking "what kind of car should I get?" - and then being asked "how do you intend to use it? How many people will be driving it? What's your budget? Is MPG important? Luxury?"

So, there are shotgun fans, handgun fans, and carbine fans. I'm a fan of all three, for the right set of circumstances.

When my wife has a weapon at the house, it's a Beretta 92, loaded with 17 rounds of Federal HST 124gr, or Speer Gold Dot 124gr. Why that gun? Well, she's ex-military and has qualified with the M9 dozens of times. She shoots it well, she knows it intimately. It's a good, reliable, high capacity full size service pistol.

When I've got a weapon at house, it's an H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W. Why that gun? I've been trained with it and qualified with it several dozen times. I used to carry it. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through it. I know it intimately. It's a good, reliable service pistol, and I like the tritium night sights, too.

If I knew that my house was likely to be broken into, however, I would have my LR-308 AP-4 with a 25 round magazine within arm's reach. Why that gun? If I know a fight is coming, I want a rifle, and a high-capacity one at that. This is a high-capacity carbine length rifle that I've put several thousand rounds through, and know intimately. It's a good, reliable gun. But it's a lot of gun to keep by the night stand.

I think the point is this: whatever you choose for a home defense weapon, you need to know it intimately. You need to practice with it regularly. Consider this - in a moment, you're awakened by a noise, the sound of glass breaking, and while you're burdened by sleep inertia and a bit groggy, you have to have this weapon ready to go. You can't be thinking about how this one works, it's just got to be something you know.

Further - You need to be certain that it's reliable. I would recommend a full-size pistol because of the higher capacity, and easier recoil management. No one cares about concealability in a home defense weapon. The Glock 17/19 recommendations are good ones. Reliable. High capacity. Easy to operate. Reasonably priced.

The .357/.38 recommendation is also a good one. Why? A wheelgun is simple: pull the trigger. No malfunction drills. Load it with .38 for low cost/recoil range practice and .357 for self defense. A great choice for a first gun or for a shooter that will not have the time/resources to shoot and maintain proficiency. But, they're not cheap, and they're limited in capacity.

In addition to purchasing the gun, get some training with that gun. Then start educating yourself on the use of lethal force. Lethal force is OK to stop a lethal threat, but it's immoral, not to mention, illegal, to use lethal force to stop theft of property. I would recommend that you start with a classic, Massad Ayoob's book, "In the gravest extreme". I believe in this strongly enough that if you PM me your address, I'll send you a copy from Amazon. I've got no association with the author, but I read that book over 30 years ago and it is still an excellent treatise on the how to use lethal force.

An example of how I intend to put some of his principles into practice: if there is a break in, I will remain upstairs. Many valuables, including electronics, tools, antiques and personal family heirlooms are on my first floor. If the intruder comes upstairs, they have bypassed the obvious economic gain of breaking in and are seeking out the people in the house. That clarifies their intent: violence against me and mine. That allows me to apply lethal force in good conscience, because their actions have demonstrated their intent.

You've got to both know your weapon and understand the legal and ethical context in which you might be forced to use it.

Should be read at least 3x by anyone and everyone. Great post.

The dude said. He is a rookie, he will train with it and it is for home invasion self defense. Doesn’t have to be complicated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

My personal nightstand gun is a Glock Model 20 with a Streamlight TLR-1S weapon light mounted.

An outstanding choice, for those that can handle the G20. I am still glad that that I own a G20. 15+1 of full power 10mm makes for an extremely effective handgun. I carry my G20 with Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast as a woods gun. Buffalo Bore 180gr HP when the threat is, well, not bears...

The magazine that's in mine right now is loaded with PPU hollowpoints. If I had to guess, they're probably loaded to approximately .40 S&W power level...possibly a little more. I live in an apartment and overpenetration is a concern. I also have some of the Underwood 180g Gold Dot (1300 FPS). I dunno...with as much as those Gold Dots expand at that velocity, they might have a better chance of not over-penetrating than the PPU.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
The thing about a revolver is, most of them don't have an accessory rail to mount a weapon light. I'm a strong proponent of having a light mounted on a home defense gun.

I disagree. Puts a light on you too.

You need to be able to positively identify a threat. There have been many people who heard a noise in the middle of the night, assumed it was an invader, and then mistakenly shot their husband, wife, girlfriend or boyfriend, or other family member. Anybody remember the South African runner (Oscar somebody or another) who shot and killed his GF in the middle of the night because he thought she was a thief who had broken in?

Weapons lights have on/off switches. If you have a tactical need to leave it off, then leave it off.

The thing about a revolver is, most of them don't have an accessory rail to mount a weapon light. I'm a strong proponent of having a light mounted on a home defense gun.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Sweet.

How much do they want for that gun?

A gun is exactly like wanting to ride a horse. I was blessed to be able to ride ranch horses when I was a little kid. The horses were safe to ride because people worked the ranch on them and couldn't afford a a horse that would hurt them. The girl next door Wants to ride a horse and I showed her my daughters horses which are pro level Dressage horses I told her these horses would you hurt with out trying trying. I explained to her mom who rides a Harley and looks good riding it that it would be like giving a 16 year old boy that just learned to ride a 1000cc crotch rocket. She understood the analogy. What does this have to do with guns. Get some training the classes are really fun and will give you some background and skill level before you decide on which horse,, er ah gun to buy.

It is a Scandium frame, so MSRP is about $1300. Out the door, maybe $1100.

There is this version also(different mount):

Of course, if you are going to spend that kind of money, there is this:

which interestingly enough, weighs more than the other two.

Money aside, I think one of the first two would actually be the ultimate night stand weapon.

Lightweight, but not too light.
Ability to mount a light, if wanted.
8 shots, and moon clip re-load
Good sight radius and velocity from the 5" barrel.
Anything from .38 wadcutters to max 125 .357's

Last edited:
A lot of what needs to be considered is your home setup and where you chose to defend. I choose my 12 gauge and 9mm handgun because there is 0 threat of hitting an innocent from where I will be shooting. Unless the bad guys surprise me and get all the way to my bedroom door in which case my sons room would be in the line of fire. Thats when I would go hand to hand. I agree with no flashlights (unless it is a strobe), you are on your home turf, you should have the advantage since you know the layout. Make sure you 100% ID that the person you are about to blast is a bad guy.

You have to realistically assess where your mind would be if awakened suddenly in the middle of the night. Most people need simplicity and/or familiarity.

I have my S&W Model 67 (1977 vintage), which I recently sent to the S&W Performance Center for the revolver package. I have put many, many rounds through this piece. It is loaded with Underwood .38 +P 125 gr. Gold Dots at 1200 fps. Flash suppressed powder. It is sitting in a Galco Speed Paddle mounted within perfect reach, without moving position in bed.

Does this means everything will go the way it should in a bad sit? No, but it gives me a good chance.

I am a big K-Frame fan, and I can shoot this 67 very well and fast.

I always prescribed to the Bill Jordan way of shooting.

https://gunsmagazine.com/lessons-from-bill-jordan/

Last edited:
+1 on the Mossberg 500, look at the chainsaw with 18" barrel. I wouldn't want a pistol or a rifle for home protection, it dark you just woke up from a sound sleep and now you want to start aiming at something in the darkness inside your house?
The sound of a pump action shotgun being chambered is enough to make a lot of intruder sh.. themselves and make a run for it, the ones that don't will get caught off guard by the blast so you can take another shot if needed.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I agree with no flashlights (unless it is a strobe), you are on your home turf, you should have the advantage since you know the layout. Make sure you 100% ID that the person you are about to blast is a bad guy.

Uh...how are you going to 100% ID the person you're about to blast in the dark?
06.gif

Sorry to go a bit OT...but...

Big fan of both the K-frame and Bill Jordan. His book has been on my bookshelf for 30+ years now.

Just got my first K-frame this week. 1971 Model 15 in .38spl. Just sitting on the shelf of a local shop. Had to have it. No good reason, as I've got lots of tools for lots of purposes. But it was in nice shape.

I'm still looking for a clean model 57 (.41 Magnum, the gun that Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan brought to market) but they're really pricey.

Guess I'm not the only Bill Jordan fan out there!

Cheers,
Astro

Sorry to go a bit OT...but...

Big fan of both the K-frame and Bill Jordan. His book has been on my bookshelf for 30+ years now.

Just got my first K-frame this week. 1971 Model 15 in .38spl. Just sitting on the shelf of a local shop. Had to have it. No good reason, as I've got lots of tools for lots of purposes. But it was in nice shape.

I'm still looking for a clean model 57 (.41 Magnum, the gun that Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan brought to market) but they're really pricey.

Guess I'm not the only Bill Jordan fan out there!

Cheers,
Astro

You could not ask for a better one. Congrats!

You know Davidson's has some Model 57's in 6".
L
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=150481

Thanks, that's the gun!

The same store from which I bought the K-frame had a S&W classic model 57 6" on the shelf for months. I almost bought it, but what I was hoping to find was a "no dash" early production model 57. The kind with a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder...but they're pretty darn collectible...I see them often on Gun Broker for $1,300 and up...

Originally Posted By: Donald
A dog is better protectant.

If the intruder has only one bullet....So I would guess that is a false statement.

Double barrel shotgun with exposed hammers. No manual safety required. If you can... cut it down so the barrel is AT LEAST 18" (allow 1/2 inch grace) and overall length is 26"

Last edited:
The problem with all of these, "I just got my CCW, and what kind of gun should I buy", threads. Is what usually follows is a deluge of recommendations of anything and everything. All ranging from .22 auto pistols, to 12 gauge shotguns, to Rottweiler's and loud, barking Chihuahuas, to pepper spray and frying pans. It becomes an exercise in futility for the OP, as he is inundated with information overload. And comes away 10 times as confused as he was when he first inquired. (I'm still waiting for someone to recommend building a Trebuchet in the driveway, to launch a 600 pound player piano at the intruders vehicle before he exits to do his dastardly deed).

If the person has zero experience with guns, they really shouldn't buy anything until they at least try shooting some handguns and long guns of various types and calibers. Many people who have never fired a gun will quickly find out it's not for them. Sure they can try to learn, but no how, no way they should buy anything until they gather some experience, regardless of how limited it may be. Otherwise they could be setting themselves up for a disaster.

Find someone who shoots, and ask if you can tag along with them to the range. (Offer to pay for the ammo). Most shooters enjoy the opportunity of getting a newbie involved in the shooting sports. Or else if you live in or near a city, try to find a range that offers rentals. It's not cheap, but it's certainly better than buying what might turn out to be the wrong firearm, that you'll wind up selling for a loss so you can get something else. Take your time and gather as much trigger time as you can. That way, whatever you end up buying will stand a much better chance of being the right tool for you to defend yourself with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back