Who else loves to feed/watch birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I hate birds. Annoying rodents with wings. All they do is fly into my windows, destroy my siding (woodpeckers) and poop all over everything. I actually cut down a tree next to my driveway because birds would always hang out in it and poop all over my truck. The last thing I want to do is encourage more of them to hang out in my yard.

I love to watch the birds eat but man they can go through seed quick, especially when mourning doves hang around.

And buying the high quality black oil sunflower isn't cheap.

It's funny to see how word gets out and the non-feeder types show up for a taste. There was a brown thrasher that came by once a day to see if anything new was on the menu.

Used to feed birds … the mess knocked on the ground brought field mice … then cottonmouth snakes came to hunt them
(a few near misses with us/pets) …
I still set up Purple Martin houses in the spring … they feed themselves …

I have but then get too many MICE.

The last photo, it looks like a bird layed eggs in another birds nest.
Why ? To get the other bird to raise its young ?

Last edited:
I have 8 feeders in my front yard. I feed them a wild bird seed mix, Safflower seeds, meal worms for the Bluebirds, and a couple of suet feeders. The Deer, Raccoons and Squirrels also partake. Every morning when I fill the feeders they start to congregate in the trees and by the time I get back into the house, they're all over the feeders, especially the Bluebirds who aren't a bit shy. Our outside cat lays in the sun in the pine needles around the shrubs and pretty much ignores them since her food and water bowls are on the porch.

I put peanuts and nut and berry mix out for the squirrels. Looking forward for the ice to melt on the lake behind our house to see if the muskrats made it through our cold winter. Maybe a rabbit or ten.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Peanuts for the Jaybirds!!!!

Yep, I get 4 BJ's that love eating them up. I add some to my bird seed mix.

Last edited:
We feed the birds here too, they are fun to watch. The part I find amazing is that our dogs seem to have adopted watching them as well. They don't try to grab them off the feeder, they'll just sit and observe.

I personally like the nuthatches, they'll come in upside down on our feeder and eat.
Of course, it's also fun watching the squirrels try to beat the squirrel proof feeder. They usually end up picking at what lands on the ground, until the blue jay's show up and chase them off.

I feed the birds and the squirrels. The birds are finches, doves and blue-jays. There's a family of Cooper's Hawks (or Sharp-Shinned Hawks) that picks one off every now and then.

A couple years ago, I wanted to start feeding the Crows.
Anybody try doing that ?

I wanted to train them so that every day at 10:00 AM I was going to
put a can of Cat Food on the lawn for them to eat.

I read that Crows are very intelligent and communicate with each other.
If so, I was expecting more and more Crows to show up at chow time.

Unfortunately, I also read that Crows will eat song-birds eggs so I never tried doing.

But, I may try this Summer.
I think I would make some cardboard decoys (painted black) to attract them in the beginning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
A couple years ago, I wanted to start feeding the Crows.
Anybody try doing that ?

I wanted to train them so that every day at 10:00 AM I was going to
put a can of Cat Food on the lawn for them to eat.

There was some gal at work that got a whole group of crows trained on when feeding time was. I would go outside and see them hanging around in the trees at the same time every day. The here came the gal in the car, and all the crows flew off and started following the car until she parked. They knew what time of day the feeding car came, and waited for it before it ever showed up. I saw this happen multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back