JUST BOUGHT NEW 2018 HYUNDAI ELANTRA SEL 2.0 1ST OIL CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vladiator
I WANNA YELL TOO. AND I WANNA GET SO EXCITED THAT I START MISSPELLING STUFF. PEZNNOIL GLOD IS VERY GOOD. BETS OF THE BEST! QS SNYTHETIC IS BETTER! USE QS SNYTHETIC 5W30 AND NEVER LOOK BAKC!

LOL!
crackmeup2.gif

If you are looking for an A5/B5 oil:

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
Mobil1 5W30
Castrol Edge 5W30

Quaker State, Valvoline, Havoline and others don't meet A5 but will work fine too.

As has been stated many times before, Hyundai recommend A5 and Quaker State when Quaker State doesn't meet the spec.

Pennzoil Gold is fine as well. It meets dexos1 Gen2 which is a nice stout spec.

Surf Amazon.com and Walmart.com. You'll find nice deals. Enjoy that great car.

My prefernence is Pennzoil in my Elantra. Have used Platinum and Ultra. But this oil change 10w-30 Chevron Supreme. I really don't think it matters if you follow the owner's manual. The engine runs the same and my mileage is about the same.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
I WANNA YELL TOO. AND I WANNA GET SO EXCITED THAT I START MISSPELLING STUFF. PEZNNOIL GLOD IS VERY GOOD. BETS OF THE BEST! QS SNYTHETIC IS BETTER! USE QS SNYTHETIC 5W30 AND NEVER LOOK BAKC!

LOL there will be an internet NAZI along any second!

Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are very similar. You can ignore the marketing claims. There is no clear indication of one being superior to the other according to the NOACK and CCS data.

If you want something very good, go with Mobil 1 Extended Protection 0W-20. It's mostly PAO-based.

If you insist on 5W-20, either PPPP or QSUD is fine.

Another very good option is Super Tech High Mileage 0W-20. It's GTL-based, dexos1 Gen 2, very cheap, and has no shortcomings.

I recently dumped the FF on my Elantra and refilled with QSUD. I use syn in all my cars since it comes out cheaper than dino or blend w/rebates.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are very similar. You can ignore the marketing claims. There is no clear indication of one being superior to the other according to the NOACK and CCS data.

Wrong! We've been thru this a hundred times already here - probably several times in the past year. QSUD is a step below Pennzoil Platinum in base oil / additives / price.

Good luck with the new car. My 17 Kia Forte (2.0 same as your car) has been a very troublesome. 5 trips to the shop for oil and coolant leaks. They finally fixed the oil leak by replacing the oil pan but still have not fixed the coolant leak. I bought it new and has been in 10 times for repairs so far.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Wrong! We've been thru this a hundred times already here - probably several times in the past year. QSUD is a step below Pennzoil Platinum in base oil / additives / price.

Is that why my wear metals were so high with QSUD with Iron at 4PPM and Aluminum at 2?

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
Good luck with the new car. My 17 Kia Forte (2.0 same as your car) has been a very troublesome. 5 trips to the shop for oil and coolant leaks. They finally fixed the oil leak by replacing the oil pan but still have not fixed the coolant leak. I bought it new and has been in 10 times for repairs so far.

Sorry to hear that. Over at Hyundai forums it is sad reading threads of low mileage engines needing to be replaced that were properly maintained. So far have not heard it for the 2.0 unless modded. The way I see it you either get one of the lemons or the jewels. So far mine has been jewel. What oil I use is secondary. Hyundai quality control and engineering is primary.

I remember in the 1990's it seemed as if almost no Hyundai Excel made it past 60,000 miles on the odometer. I would see them stacked in the junkyards with still-fresh paint jobs. What a notoriously unreliable car it was. It was also the car driven by Rodney King. Good old 80's and 90's!

That's when Hyundai started pulling itself together and came up with the "America's best warranty." I think these days they are quite reliable.

Originally Posted By: ThumperRidgeline
Is your Formula a Turbo?

No, just the standard 301cid/4.9L V8 w/4bbl & 3 spd auto. I ordered this car brand new. It was our 4th Camaro/Firebird and my wife & I had 3 at once. '74 Camaro 350, '77 Camaro I6, '79 FORMULA 400(crashed) and bought the '80 FORMULA.

Turbo cars at that time were TABOO especially the Trans AM/FORMULA, as it turns out. Unless you were to buy Datsun/Nissan Z, turbo cars could be a money pit & a disaster.
A buddy of mine(RIP) bought new a '79 300Z/ZX Turbo brand new and drove it into the 200K mile range w/o issues. But, I didn't know enough about turbo's back in the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Is that why my wear metals were so high with QSUD with Iron at 4PPM and Aluminum at 2?

Email or phone SOPUS. Ask them about any concerns or differences.
Contacting manufacturer of both oils (horse's mouth) or internet?...lets see...hhmmm... makes too much sense

Congrats on your new car!

Although my preference would be for a 5/10w-30, I would have no qualms using the dealerships bulk 5w20.

FYI - my friend has a 10 year old Accent which he still gets serviced at the dealership for oil changes. I imagine he gets 5w20 too. Not sure what his odo reading is but his car still runs well.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Email or phone SOPUS. Ask them about any concerns or differences.
Contacting manufacturer of both oils (horse's mouth) or internet?...lets see...hhmmm... makes too much sense

The only question I could have ever had was answer by my UOA.

:/I went to Walmart and bought 5qt jug. Winner was Pennzoil 5w20 full synthetic SN Plus worth every cent as just a few dollars more then then the blend or Conventional. Vastly better then Quaker. Hyundai filter be used

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
:/I went to Walmart and bought 5qt jug. Winner was Pennzoil 5w20 full synthetic SN Plus worth every cent as just a few dollars more then then the blend or Conventional. Vastly better then Quaker. Hyundai filter be used

Looks like you’ve answered your original question then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back