JUST BOUGHT NEW 2018 HYUNDAI ELANTRA SEL 2.0 1ST OIL CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am gwtting ready for my first oil change. Hyundai recommends QS 5W20 SNYTHETIC BLEND. IN OWNERS MANUAL. I PREFER PENNZOIL GOLD. DOES THIS MATTER. IS QS BETTER THEN PENN GOLD

Pennzoil is considered higher up the SOPUS food chain but QS has a 'partnership' (in other words they pay Hyundai for putting their name in the OM).......either product will work well for you.

I've been looking at new Elantra's lately....did you get a good deal? How much off MSRP?

Use what you want. Owners manuals have lots of recommendations, but that does not mean you are required to follow them. I would be willing to bet most owners manuals don't even get opened.

The imperative thing is to document the oil changes. Write the date, miles and vin number on the receipts and store in a safe place away from heat and humidity.

The suspension on only the Sport model is independent rear and totally transforms the car. Rides and handles better. I highly recommended driving a Sport in addition to whatever other trim you want.

with the current Pennzoil rebates you can get a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum for $23 and a $10 rebate. Walmart has the best prices on oil in general. A synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability can be had for the same price of a blend so I would not bother looking for blends which normally have a low percentage of synthetic oil in them. Mobil 1 is also a choice and they have a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug

Is this the GDI engine?

IMO I would go with a full synthetic with a 5000 mile OCI to split the difference between the severe driving and normal category in the manual. I use whatever synthetic is on sale with a rebate for my 2013 Elantra

with the current Pennzoil rebates you can get a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum for $23 and a $10 rebate. Walmart has the best prices on oil in general. A synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability can be had for the same price of a blend so I would not bother looking for blends which normally have a low percentage of synthetic oil in them. Mobil 1 is also a choice and they have a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug

Is this the GDI engine?

IMO I would go with a full synthetic with a 5000 mile OCI to split the difference between the severe driving and normal category in the manual. I use whatever synthetic is on sale with a rebate for my 2013 Elantra

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
I am gwtting ready for my first oil change. Hyundai recommends QS 5W20 SNYTHETIC BLEND. IN OWNERS MANUAL. I PREFER PENNZOIL GOLD. DOES THIS MATTER. IS QS BETTER THEN PENN GOLD

I looked at the 2018 owners manual. For years hyundai has had " we recommend pennzoil" in their manuals. But no requirement to use it.

I can't find anywere that states you must use synthetic blend. They do specify

API SM *3 & ILSAC GF-4 (or above) ACEA A5/B5

Look at page 8-7 of your manual. Then look at page 8-9 , it lists viscosity you can use. 5w20, 5w30, and above 0f you can use 10w30.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundaicont...antra-GT_OM.pdf

That's a tuff one. The last thing I would do is follow the manufacture's recommendations. What could they possibly know beyond the knowledge base of this forum?

Best of luck on your Elantra SEL. This is the trim I would have chosen if I were buying an Elantra. Although the VALUE EDITION really is a very compelling trim.

Have a 2011 Kia Koup with 2.0 engine and over 100K miles.

Have been using synthetic 5W20 and OEM filter since the first oil change at 1,000 miles.

Used various synthetic brands (Shell, Mobil, QS, Pennzoil, Valvoline) based on price.

No oil consumption, no issues.

I've run a bunch of different brands in my 2017 Elantra with the 2.0L and found that it runs just fine on QSUD 5W-20, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, Rotella T6 5W-30, and Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. Point being, run whatever you want. Hyundai is famously vague and outdated regarding engine oil requirements. These 2.0L Atkinson Cycle Nu engines seem to be great little engines with excellent fuel economy. There's a UOA on hyundai-forums.com that show that these engine seems to produce little wear materials. Best of luck with your new car!

Originally Posted By: LotI
Why are you yelling?

He feels strongly about the superiority of Pennzoil Gold vs. Quaker State.

Brand does not matter, but you can often get a full synthetic for the same price as either syn blend
smile.gif

For the filter, use OEM, Mann, Hastings, Premium Guard, or Full.

Mann is the OE supplier for the oil filter.

I WANNA YELL TOO. AND I WANNA GET SO EXCITED THAT I START MISSPELLING STUFF. PEZNNOIL GLOD IS VERY GOOD. BETS OF THE BEST! QS SNYTHETIC IS BETTER! USE QS SNYTHETIC 5W30 AND NEVER LOOK BAKC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back