Joining the Euro Club

Within the past few days I sold my '14 Maxima and picked up a '19 GLI Autobahn...my first European vehicle (made in Mexico lol). I understand the powertrain is reliable, the power nearly matches my Maxima with considerably better MPG and I plan to do a stage 1 tune to bring even more. My criteria with a new vehicle was that it must have a stick...my ideal choice was an A4 quattro but those are near impossible to find with a manual. I sold my Max private party for top dollar and picked this up from a dealership below private party value, so I'm happy with the purchase! I plan to delete the red grill stripe I think, but we will see:
PXL_20230507_000015872.jpg
PXL_20230507_000027567.jpg
PXL_20230507_000003196.MP.jpg

The red accent stripe is a little conspicuous but, as you know, it's original.
Maybe just cover it with that removable film many use on the entire car?

Oh....and best of luck with it.

I like the red stripe. It stands out but not too much.

When I visited Germany, thought it was interested how so many removed the badges that would show what trim the car was.

You'd see a BMW E60 and a layman would have no idea if it was a base 5 series or the M5

Apparently this is the reason:
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 7.39.48 AM.jpg

Make sure to check out FCPEuro when it comes time for maintenance. Just ordered new sway bar links which should be refunded under their lifetime warranty since I also ordered these parts from them back in 2020.

When I visited Germany, thought it was interested how so many removed the badges that would show what trim the car was.

You'd see a BMW E60 and a layman would have no idea if it was a base 5 series or the M5

View attachment 154724

Make sure to check out FCPEuro when it comes time for maintenance. Just ordered new sway bar links which should be refunded under their lifetime warranty since I also ordered these parts from them back in 2020.
Hey the FCP Euro is @TiGeo line....

View attachment 154724

True, owners manuals even come with instructions on how to remove them.

Why? It looks great as an accent on a grey car. What's next, Plasti Dip the wheels? :ROFLMAO:
Im deciding if it's a little too "boy racer". I like the red GLI badges and calipers though, and if I did anything I would likely plasti-dip the strip so it could easily be undone.

Congratulations on a solid car. And when I say that look at the thickness of the bottom of the door frame in the second picture. VW have some of the best body structures around.

Last edited:
Super cool car! Great choice. European cars are not the evil they are painted to be.

The red stripe is a VW thing that goes back many years. Leave it. 😋

Congrats!

I will say, be cautious of the tune. Even Stage 1 is known to make those clutches slip. They're not really meant to handle much over stock. If they have a lower torque stage 1 tune, I'd go with that. Even my MK7 GTI would occasionally slip when I beat on it like a red-headed-step-child.

Back