Jeep Liberty 3.7L owners - Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JGmazda

I might have misspoken earlier about the yellow wire/starter issue. I was thinking you were looking at a GC not a Liberty. I don't know if that was an issue with the Liberty or not.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Mom was original owner of an '04 that we ran to about 160k. From this experience and from at least one other friend with one, I understand the motor to be solid as most are saying here. Never did really more than plugs on ours. The trans took a dump right after we sold it.

Otherwise, I wouldn't buy one for two reasons- lousy gas mileage and a bouncy, nervous short wheelbase ride.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Checkout some of the Liberty forums.
02s had valvespring issues, otherwise they're great, just don't overheat them. Many have hit 300k without issues. Keep clean 5w30 of whatever you like in them.
PS fluid is ATF+4 for 03+, 02s had something weird but got back spec'd to ATF+4.
They're very easy to work on. Stock suspension is trash, was when new too so I replaced mine with Old Man Emu stuff and it rides as good as my LR3 and better than my new Cherokee. I have 167k on mine. Love it. The biggest issue was I did have to get the trans rebuilt last summer (failed TC), so make sure yours has a service history regarding the trans. Most people don't have an issue, but it's worth bringing up. 08+ is a different era, largely the same, just a little bigger and they went to a 5 link rear suspension and not 3. Electronic shift t case too.

- Great information HoosierJeeper! What year do you own? What was the approximate cost of the transmission fix and is it a better transmission build? Also, can you tell me more about the suspension upgrade?

Originally Posted By: fcjeep
As far as coolant, Zerex G-05 and dealer coolant (make sure they give you the right stuff) is all I ever found available.
AFAIK power steering fluid is also a specific spec. No one has it except the dealer. $18 a qt I think last time I bought but you don't need it too often. I know about Mag-Moss but no one else has it as of last time I checked.

- Thanks fcJeep! Zerex G-05 is all I have used in my Mazda for some time. Good stuff! I will look into the power steering fluid.

Mine is an 05...got it back in 07.

Basically, new springs and shocks. The factory spring rate is too weak and gives a rough ride. It sags too. By 79k miles, mine had sagged 1.5" from new. Measure from the hub to fender flare, new should be 19".

Old Man Emu is one of the best life manufacturers. Checkout jeepinbyal.com to see all the lifts for these. It rides so much better...I was going to trade it in until I lifted it.

The trans rebuild was like $4000. There were some upgrades the shop did but I can't remember them, mostly small things.

Last edited:
There have been two of them in the extended family. One was a '03 and the other a 2008. Both have no issues with the powertrain. Just needs shocks like someone else already mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They drop valve seats if overheated. Like a hose bursts or a radiator breaks and they keep driving it. Dont get them hot and they run a long time.

+1

Keep it maintained and it should serve you well. The 4.7L V8 in the Grand Cherokee has the same problem. My dad had a '99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L and traded it with over 200k miles and not one issue with the engine. He towed every other weekend with it.

My family has owned many Jeeps. People like to knock them for being low quality, and a few models definitely have issues, but for the most part if you maintain them they are fine. They aren't really vehicles you can just "gas and go", but maintenance is not expensive on them, and a little maintenance goes a long way. Usually the ones with problems are those people who don't look at the gauges or check fluids and then the thing overheats.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda

Checkout some of the Liberty forums.
02s had valvespring issues, otherwise they're great, just don't overheat them. Many have hit 300k without issues. Keep clean 5w30 of whatever you like in them.
PS fluid is ATF+4 for 03+, 02s had something weird but got back spec'd to ATF+4.
They're very easy to work on. Stock suspension is trash, was when new too so I replaced mine with Old Man Emu stuff and it rides as good as my LR3 and better than my new Cherokee. I have 167k on mine. Love it. The biggest issue was I did have to get the trans rebuilt last summer (failed TC), so make sure yours has a service history regarding the trans. Most people don't have an issue, but it's worth bringing up. 08+ is a different era, largely the same, just a little bigger and they went to a 5 link rear suspension and not 3. Electronic shift t case too.

- Great information HoosierJeeper! What year do you own? What was the approximate cost of the transmission fix and is it a better transmission build? Also, can you tell me more about the suspension upgrade?

Originally Posted By: fcjeep
As far as coolant, Zerex G-05 and dealer coolant (make sure they give you the right stuff) is all I ever found available.
AFAIK power steering fluid is also a specific spec. No one has it except the dealer. $18 a qt I think last time I bought but you don't need it too often. I know about Mag-Moss but no one else has it as of last time I checked.

- Thanks fcJeep! Zerex G-05 is all I have used in my Mazda for some time. Good stuff! I will look into the power steering fluid.

Mine is an 05...got it back in 07.

Basically, new springs and shocks. The factory spring rate is too weak and gives a rough ride. It sags too. By 79k miles, mine had sagged 1.5" from new. Measure from the hub to fender flare, new should be 19".

Old Man Emu is one of the best life manufacturers. Checkout jeepinbyal.com to see all the lifts for these. It rides so much better...I was going to trade it in until I lifted it.

The trans rebuild was like $4000. There were some upgrades the shop did but I can't remember them, mostly small things.
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
They drop valve seats if overheated. Like a hose bursts or a radiator breaks and they keep driving it. Dont get them hot and they run a long time.

+1

Keep it maintained and it should serve you well. The 4.7L V8 in the Grand Cherokee has the same problem. My dad had a '99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L and traded it with over 200k miles and not one issue with the engine. He towed every other weekend with it.

My family has owned many Jeeps. People like to knock them for being low quality, and a few models definitely have issues, but for the most part if you maintain them they are fine. They aren't really vehicles you can just "gas and go", but maintenance is not expensive on them, and a little maintenance goes a long way. Usually the ones with problems are those people who don't look at the gauges or check fluids and then the thing overheats.

Agreed, most people neglect the small details... Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

+1

Yes, makes sense... I thank you for your input and responses!

The nagging issues are window actuators. Bought daughter a 2007 with 90000 miles a few years back. Now at 140000 miles. No drivetrain issues at all.

...Good to know. The 3.7 apparently can go the distance if maintained correctly.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back