Jalopnik: Hyundai Is Now The World's Third-Biggest Carmaker.

The Korean makes have let their recent successes go to their heads, which is evident with their new vehicle pricing. A big part of their attractiveness was their lower prices, which is gone now...

The Korean makes have let their recent successes go to their heads, which is evident with their new vehicle pricing. A big part of their attractiveness was their lower prices, which is gone now...

All manufacturers have enough markup in their vehicles right now to lay massive rebates on the hood if sales get really, really bad. I mean a truck is over up $15,000.00 the last three years- talk about proud of pricing.....

From what I see, their pricing is still competitive, especially when compared to their direct competition of Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Nissan. Show me a car manufacturer that won't raise their prices to what the market will pay.

You say their success has gone to their heads. I say they have played the game very well. At least as well as the competition. Much better than GM, Ford, and Stellantis.

I've never seen, or even heard of any Korean vehicle going that many miles on the original engine...

pic-14532206148220534041-1600x1200.jpegpic-6649170320168182937-1600x1200.jpegpic-8870304565197645765-1600x1200.jpeg300K US mile club.jpgpic-7451029090100164623-1600x1200.jpeg

Last edited:
I have respect for Hyundai, as to how far they've come on the technical front, and in desirability
The 2.4 Theta, child labor findings, and lousy dealer treatment are really sore points
For those who don't know, remember that South Korea only started exporting cars in 1974
Which predates me by 22 years, but this forum is full of those with life experience 🫡
They've come a long way from reheated B.L and Mitsubishi designs, that's for sure

We didn't get the Pony/Stellar in the US, our first Hyundai was the '86 Excel (and Mitsubishi badged Precis)

I'm not at all surprised about their success. Yes, they have had some issues along the way. However they still make affordable cars with excellent warranties. They're a good value proposition for a lot of people. My experience with Hyundai and Kia products has been excellent. Our Forte has required zero trips back to the dealer for mechanical repairs. My F-150 which cost roughly 2x the MSRP of the Kia required it's first repair at just 867 miles and continued to have a myriad of issues throughout the 20k miles that I kept it.

Every phone does voice navigation without the need for android auto.
That's besides the point, I could also play music on my AM radio for "entertainment." Or pull out the Thomas guide for navigation. The point is I want navigation on my car's screen without paying 1500 for the feature. On top of that I got a fully loaded car for thousands less by forgoing poverty spec "reliable" cars for more money. At 40k I'm happy with my UOA.

Back