Jalopnik: Hyundai Is Now The World's Third-Biggest Carmaker.

That’s how underselling works - once they have the market it will go away like much of KORUS …

Quantity>Quality, unfortunately.
Not hating on Hyundai (I daily one), just highlighting the obvious facts, which are confirmed by stacks and piles of bad engines at local Hyundai/Kia dealerships. Sadly it's not just the 2.4L engines either.

I will say, MIL had a 2.4L fail and they took care of it in a 1st class way. Obviously the best case is having perfect quality, but if they stand behind the product that says a lot too.

Sure, had engines replaced in a '1st class way' too. Problem is, it took multiple class action lawsuits to get there.

Good for them. They'll need to revenue stream to keep replacing those engines.

I will say, MIL had a 2.4L fail and they took care of it in a 1st class way. Obviously the best case is having perfect quality, but if they stand behind the product that says a lot too.
Agreed, but earlier mentioned piles keep increasing in size, so I highly doubt that my next daily driver will be Korean.
We got a 2009 Accent 1.6L and 2009 Genesis 4.6L in the family now. I'll run that little Accent until it blows, because so far most stuff is a cheap fix. Yet Genesis is definitely a money sucker... Between monthly payments and unexpected repairs - a brand new Mercedes E-Class would cost the same, and come with warranty... Hindsight is 20/20, eh...

Hyundai has more flexibility with chips given they are tied at the hip to certain fabs.

That alone likely made a big difference in available units.

Given the downturn in the auto market it may not help them in the long run.

Hyundai has more flexibility with chips given they are tied at the hip to certain fabs.

That alone likely made a big difference in available units.

Given the downturn in the auto market it may not help them in the long run.
They finally realized that car styling matters as well - (and hired them) …
early 2000’s units looked like 1980 cars …

Sure, had engines replaced in a '1st class way' too. Problem is, it took multiple class action lawsuits to get there.

Good for them. They'll need to revenue stream to keep replacing those engines.
False-they were replacing them before the court date. I have first hand experience with this. Do you know which carmaker let owners high and dry on their trucks after replacement motors failed?

You have one guess. It starts with an "F" and ends with a "D".

Quantity>Quality, unfortunately.
Not hating on Hyundai (I daily one), just highlighting the obvious facts, which are confirmed by stacks and piles of bad engines at local Hyundai/Kia dealerships. Sadly it's not just the 2.4L engines either.

Now you have me worried. Parents own a 2019 Kia Forte Ex with the CVT. Is their engine problematic?

Now you have me worried. Parents own a 2019 Kia Forte Ex with the CVT. Is their engine problematic?
Time will show. Not sure what engine that Kia has, but so far it just seems like a "Russian Roulette" with all of them. They either run trouble free for 400-500k miles, or they're on 5th engine by the time 100k mile warranty is up.

I think their vehicles still look a little weird, they are pushing too hard with wild designs that are a little too extreme and end up looking like they were conceived in North Korea.
The last roughly 8 years or so, the main car designs and chassis engineering designs where X BMW/Audi/VW engineers at Hyundai. The German engineering design influence is very very high. My 2018 Kona 1.6T AWD was designed by a BMW and Austrian Audi design enginner. The very latest cars seem to have more Asian influence.

Time will show. Not sure what engine that Kia has, but so far it just seems like a "Russian Roulette" with all of them. They either run trouble free for 400-500k miles, or they're on 5th engine by the time 100k mile warranty is up.

I know nothing about it other than that I think it has the 2.0L

I think their vehicles still look a little weird, they are pushing too hard with wild designs that are a little too extreme and end up looking like they were conceived in North Korea.
That’s where the pendulum has swung - my son’s friend parked his Telluride next to our Tahoe the other day and it certainly seemed more extreme … They are selling so plenty like the style …

I think this is interesting in many respects. In the late 70's and 80's we saw the Asian auto OEMs start erroding domestic OEMs market share. When Hyundai first came to the U.S. their cars were thought of as low quality, and had few options. They continually improved and in many respects are beating the other more established Asian OEMs at their own game.

As the EV shift continues, there will be continued brand morphing and in some cases there will be those that disappear from the market entirely.

Volkswagen built their business in North America by offering a well built car that almost everyone could afford. I think Kia and in some respects NIssan took over that niche.

Cadillac is moving towards the boutique market with the Celestique. I think more brands will move from the Luxury market to this Boutique market. It will be interesting to watch. I think some luxury brands may disappear....maybe Lincoln, or other high end European brands could fall into this category.

Cadillac is moving towards the boutique market with the Celestique. I think more brands will move from the Luxury market to this Boutique market. It will be interesting to watch. I think some luxury brands may disappear....maybe Lincoln, or other high end European brands could fall into this category.
I could see Volvo disappear in the near future.
The amount of complaints of the latest SPA vehicles is mind boggling, especially the popular 2022 XC60.
Sure, they have warranty, but when the dealerships can do nothing but shrug their shoulders at the continuous issues, you gotta wonder how this is all gonna play out.
:unsure:

Hyundai still equates with this contraption for me. Can't get over it. Love Mazda drivetrains.

1671821571328.jpg

Back