Jalopnik: Hyundai Is Now The World's Third-Biggest Carmaker.

Not a Hyundai fan but it shows there is a large market for simple and inexpensive cars. If they could add reliable to that list I would be a buyer.

Maybe some other companies will pay attention.

My uncle bought a 2010 optima with the original theta port injected motor, and its still going strong with over 225k. IIRC he paid around 10 grand for the car new.
For comparison, in 2020 I was looking for a 2-3 year old off lease car for around 15k or less. This was right before prices spiked. I found:
2017 Accord 1.5 base, 28k miles - $18,500
2017 Camry SE 26k miles - $20,000
2018 Civic base 27k miles - $13,400
2018 Kia optima EX 26k miles - $14,500
I didn't have a car at the time, but I was headed to buy the Honda Civic that next day with my lady. That's when they reduced the price on the Kia another $600. Fully loaded, leather, heated seats. Sold.
I knew all about the issues with the Theta II, but one key feature I wanted was Android Auto. Only car at this price point that had it. Also, this is the only car that had 5yr/60k limited bumper to bumper. I later found the engine had a lifetime warranty. (y) When I showed up to buy the car, it had some small things that needed to be fixed under warranty (auto mirrors, infotainment issues).

Point is: purely bought this car based on 1) price and 2) features. Seems like their residuals arent as good as Toyota and Honda, which is great if you're looking for an off lease vehicle.
If H/K starts thinking their Toyota, I would have to think twice. If you ask me, Honda has lost its mind with new pricing.

Last edited:
They make affordable cars that people want to buy. Seems like everyone is trying to sell upmarket. I had a long term rental once and brought it in for service and was impressed. My daughter is looking for a SUV once this market insanity ends and I recommended the Kia Sorrento, it looks nice. 10 year 100k powertrain so even if it fails its on them. I think they have 5yr/60k new car warranty as well. That sells alot of cars

I could see Volvo disappear in the near future.
The amount of complaints of the latest SPA vehicles is mind boggling, especially the popular 2022 XC60.
Sure, they have warranty, but when the dealerships can do nothing but shrug their shoulders at the continuous issues, you gotta wonder how this is all gonna play out.
:unsure:
I think you could be correct. They seem to be putting all future investments in Polestar. They also want to buyers to get purchasee via the subscription model via perpetual leasing arrangements.

My uncle bought a 2010 optima with the original theta port injected motor, and its still going strong with over 225k. IIRC he paid around 10 grand for the car new.
For comparison, in 2020 I was looking for a 2-3 year old off lease car for around 15k or less. This was right before prices spiked. I found:
2017 Accord 1.5 base, 28k miles - $18,500
2017 Camry SE 26k miles - $20,000
2018 Civic base 27k miles - $13,400
2018 Kia optima EX 26k miles - $14,500
I didn't have a car at the time, but I was headed to buy the Honda Civic that next day with my lady. That's when they reduced the price on the Kia another $600. Fully loaded, leather, heated seats. Sold.
I knew all about the issues with the Theta II, but one key feature I wanted was Android Auto. Only car at this price point that had it. Also, this is the only car that had 5yr/60k limited bumper to bumper. I later found the engine had a lifetime warranty. (y) When I showed up to buy the car, it had some small things that needed to be fixed under warranty (auto mirrors, infotainment issues).

Point is: purely bought this car based on 1) price and 2) features. Seems like their residuals arent as good as Toyota and Honda, which is great if you're looking for an off lease vehicle.
If H/K starts thinking their Toyota, I would have to think twice. If you ask me, Honda has lost its mind with new pricing.
The residuals (resale) value are not as good-but the difference IS NOT equal to how much less you pay. I paid over $5,000.00 less than a Toyo/Honda equivalent for my wife-but trade in difference is not $5,000.00 less between that of the Japanese's vehicles-and I check this regularly.

The residuals (resale) value are not as good-but the difference IS NOT equal to how much less you pay. I paid over $5,000.00 less than a Toyo/Honda equivalent for my wife-but trade in difference is not $5,000.00 less between that of the Japanese's vehicles-and I check this regularly.
Depends on your market and vehicle. In CA, there is no trade in tax credit and this would incentivize one to trade in to offset taxes. I would imagine trade in value would be less. Sedans are in much less demand than SUVs. Also depends on incentives on new cars. At this time you could've got an equivalent new Optima (outgoing MY) for 20%+ off MSRP. My uncle in WI picked up a new Optima S for low 20s. I paid less than 50% of MSRP for mine used, so I beat the leasing companies estimates.

Depends on your market and vehicle. In CA, there is no trade in tax credit and this would incentivize one to trade in to offset taxes. I would imagine trade in value would be less. Sedans are in much less demand than SUVs. Also depends on incentives on new cars. At this time you could've got an equivalent new Optima (outgoing MY) for 20%+ off MSRP. My uncle in WI picked up a new Optima S for low 20s. I paid less than 50% of MSRP for mine used, so I beat the leasing companies estimates.
That's a good point-however I can't imagine trade in values differing by $1,000.00's one state to the next. I know we have a few dealers on here-maybe they can chime in.

Hyundai still equates with this contraption for me. Can't get over it. Love Mazda drivetrains.

View attachment 132125
I remember my neighbor in high school replacing the automatic transmission on his Pony a few times in the early 90's. He kept on getting ones from the wreckers and I guess he could swap them pretty fast!
This one survived until 2009 and 2 guys autocrossing it for a season, a cheap light rwd car would be nice to have these days...
2009_07_12-CASC-OREvent3_4288-web.jpg

you can prolly blame most of todays issues on our GOVERNMENT IMO. i am NOT allowed to give my true opinion BUT things went DOWNHILL after health issues created by our government BUT the fat cats $$$$ care less about the average person IMO as $$$$$$ runs everything IMO!!

Do they still heavily use steel vs aluminum on most models? That's a large part of how they keep cost down as far as I'm aware as they source it in-house (or did). Taking a look underneath used to distinguish a Hyundai product from the Japanese competition, and not in a good way.

I knew all about the issues with the Theta II, but one key feature I wanted was Android Auto. Only car at this price point that had it.

This is something I can possibly understand. You bought a vehice, meant to move you around, with questionable mechanicals, for an entertainment feature. Skewed priorities in my books but prevalent in automobile buyers.

This is something I can possibly understand. You bought a vehice, meant to move you around, with questionable mechanicals, for an entertainment feature. Skewed priorities in my books but prevalent in automobile buyers.

This is the point I was trying to get across. There are buyers who want a certain operation system OR A LARGER SCREEN and could care less what the mechanicals are. GDI, if the motor uses thin oil, is not on the radar of the VAST MAJORITY of buyers. Only in this little world online.

Its not entertainment, it's navigation. Base models have bluetooth

Back