I've lost it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had much motivation lately to DIY some things that my family's vehicles need. I'll get to it, since they aren't critical, but I haven't had time to do them yet.

I think part of that is the weather. This winter seems never ending, it was 20 degrees this morning again. Not sure if it's cabin fever, stress, or both, but I haven't really done much in the garage in the past few weeks.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Truck needed new shocks, so I brought it to "my Guy", told him to give it a once over and lube the front end, he asks, need an oil change? I was due in a few hundred miles, so I said, yeah go ahead, synthetic he asks, I say nah, just dino please. So I now have an unknown 15w40 circulating through my Duramax, unknown filter and I'm not the least bit curious or concerned.. The wife's Rav 4 just popped the message that it's time for maintenance , so we rode the factory fill for just about 5,000 miles. Dealer is going to do it, using Toyota synthetic whatever. I've lost "the oil fever" I guess. hmmmmmm, didn't think I'd see the day !!!!!
confused2.gif

Good on you !!! Now you are becoming a realist
laugh.gif

I'm somewhat the same way. Right now I'm having my mechanic replace the control arms in my Jeep. Something I've done to multiple cars, I just don't feel like doing it!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I've lost "the oil fever" I guess. hmmmmmm, didn't think I'd see the day !!!!!
confused2.gif

I think you've just been restored to sanity.
lol.gif

Could be !
blush.gif

Same here. I've been using my local indi for ~3 years now. I'm just not physically able to crawl around under a car anymore. Wish it wasn't so.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I do not change oil / filter or mechanical repairs because I like it .

I am cheap , I do it to save money .

A Valvoline oil change place right down the road from my work charges $14.99 for 5 quarts and a filter. In fact, a guy from work will take is car there, walk to work and pick it up later. He just isn't into cars and says he has no interest in crawling around under his car for $15. Only a fool would argue with that logic.

I'd personally pay $20+ to do it myself, but that's another story.

Back to the OP, aside from replacement parts, I don't care about brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Same here. I've been using my local indi for ~3 years now. I'm just not physically able to crawl around under a car anymore. Wish it wasn't so.
coffee2.gif

I understand that . Then it is not easy getting back up .

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I do not change oil / filter or mechanical repairs because I like it .

I am cheap , I do it to save money .

A Valvoline oil change place right down the road from my work charges $14.99 for 5 quarts and a filter. In fact, a guy from work will take is car there, walk to work and pick it up later. He just isn't into cars and says he has no interest in crawling around under his car for $15. Only a fool would argue with that logic.

I'd personally pay $20+ to do it myself, but that's another story.

Back to the OP, aside from replacement parts, I don't care about brand.

Just for conversation , how much do they charge for an oil / filtr change with Dexos full synthetic ?

I may have found it again??? I haven't stopped clearance oil shopping and scored 5 Rotella oil filters for 1.00 each, a few more gallons of Delo 10w30 XLE diesel oil @ 7.00 each, and several quarts of Motorcraft 15w40 @ 0.50. So I think the last dino change done by others will last until late fall, then I'll run the 10w30 for the winter and beyond, and hopefully I can find 3 more quarts of MC 15w40 and I'll be set for next summer's oci ! The bug is back and I keep scoring cheap oil, the fever is rising !

I may have found it again??? I haven't stopped clearance oil shopping and scored 5 Rotella oil filters for 1.00 each, a few more gallons of Delo 10w30 XLE diesel oil @ 7.00 each, and several quarts of Motorcraft 15w40 @ 0.50. So I think the last dino change done by others will last until late fall, then I'll run the 10w30 for the winter and beyond, and hopefully I can find 3 more quarts of MC 15w40 and I'll be set for next summer's oci ! The bug is back and I keep scoring cheap oil, the fever is rising !

That's too bad ... I had such high hopes you'd rise out the din of BITOG insanity! LOL.

It's a virus; you never really get rid of it. It just goes dormant and reappears later in life, like Chicken-pox and Shingles.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

That's too bad ... I had such high hopes you'd rise out the din of BITOG insanity! LOL.

It's a virus; you never really get rid of it. It just goes dormant and reappears later in life, like Chicken-pox and Shingles.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

lol.gif

YOU should be ashamed of yourself!
Instead of being here to post, you should be in every Autozone in your 50 miles radius area and shake the sales associates for "Where is the CLEARANCE Rack?"

Mea Culpa: for the last 3 years I kept my dear oil stash outside in the elements, with the squirrels and skunks to test the hot/cold capability of Synth and semi-synth. I only have one more jug, then I will repent...

I've NEVER let anyone touch any of my cars other than complicated stuff like the dreaded 105K Honda V6 timing belt change. With that being said, bought the 14 CRV for the wife and it came with lifetime oil/filter changes for free and engine guarantee for life if they change the oil. Thought and thought about that but holy cow....there is no way in blazes that I could pass that up. So, I let them do it. 4 years later and umpteen oil changes I've got use to it. So much, that when the daughter starts driving in a 1.5 years, that's going to be her car. I will probably find out exactly how well they hold their word on engines for life. Looked around these past couple of months and they don't offer that freebie service any more on any new car. I still change the truck and the Accord, but with the accord and the 14K miles I put on it a year, I change the oil once a year with M1 EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back